Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st July 2012, 23:46   #1
RN3212
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Classic SE 2.0V6 Auto Moonstone Green

Default Rover 25

I know this may not be the right place for this but here goes.Our son Andrew,who's attending College has decided the time has come to get mobile and I've been given the job of finding a car for him.He seems to have taken a shine to the 25 so after searching a bit I've come across a 1.4 that looks OK.I've spoken to the seller and he says the car has served him well for over 2 years.The previous owners were an elderly couple who had it from new and it has a Service History up to 52,000mls There's now 79,000mls clocked up.Does anyone have experience of this particular model or have any pointers to look for anything in particular that might cause trouble in the future.I'm fairly up to speed on what the general points to look out for I'd just like some advice from somebody who's familiar with the 25.The price is very tempting and leaves room for a bit of work if needs be.I'm led to believe that HGF is'nt as big a problem with the smaller K Series???
Thanks in anticipation
Old 22nd July 2012, 00:15   #2
Shortfella
Avid contributor

Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.2 CDTI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat hanley View Post
I know this may not be the right place for this but here goes.Our son Andrew,who's attending College has decided the time has come to get mobile and I've been given the job of finding a car for him.He seems to have taken a shine to the 25 so after searching a bit I've come across a 1.4 that looks OK.I've spoken to the seller and he says the car has served him well for over 2 years.The previous owners were an elderly couple who had it from new and it has a Service History up to 52,000mls There's now 79,000mls clocked up.Does anyone have experience of this particular model or have any pointers to look for anything in particular that might cause trouble in the future.I'm fairly up to speed on what the general points to look out for I'd just like some advice from somebody who's familiar with the 25.The price is very tempting and leaves room for a bit of work if needs be.I'm led to believe that HGF is'nt as big a problem with the smaller K Series???
Thanks in anticipation
My wife's had 2 25's the 1st one was writen off after a very small shunt on the back end, the 2nd one she still has it's a 2001 1.4i it's has a new head gasket at 63000 miles at a cost of £400. it now needs a water pump that will be £70 fitted, but it has now done 96000 miles, it's just passed it's MOT the only advisory is the lower engine mount and that's just 2 bolts and around the £20.00 mark. Overall it's been a good car and cheap enough to run.
Shortfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 00:50   #3
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Pat the majority of us locally have had a 16v k series 1.4 at some stage, or have family that are running one.

Micheals son has one atm.

HGF is literally the biggest issue on them.

Good guide here http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2011...rover-25mg-zr/
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 00:52   #4
rizel23
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 SE Dark Fantasy

Bar the headgasket failure at 38k my 1.4 was ok
Old 22nd July 2012, 01:01   #5
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Mine was fantastic, had a 214 Si 16v with loads of engine mods, made 128bhp and was a rocket, id got my first taste of ebay with her, 1.8 throttle set-up, full group n exhaust and manifold (£48 still my second best ebay ever lol) and a ECU swap, first adventure into engine tuning, reved like a honda!

Ended with an uninsured BMW 5 series owner, bent chassis rails, crumpled a pillar and twisted engine out of mounts :S

Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 08:03   #6
kully
Loves to post

75 MkI 1.8T Saloon

Odd that on the rear shunt, I had a 25 written off for the same when it was just months old.

I really like 25s, great on the motorway too. However, make sure it is not one of the later ones (2003 on?) there is so much cost cutting it feels like another car.
kully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 09:00   #7
mamasboy
RS South East

Ford fester... blah....

I has two 214's both suffered HGF. Best engine is the 2.0td, it's bulletproof and very economical.
Old 22nd July 2012, 09:36   #8
starbug2
This is my second home

Silver Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDTI + MGF 1.8 in BRG

we had a 214 with no problems and also have a mgf . if you keep a close eye on water levels you limit the risk a lot as fair to say some never look at the levels very much making it a bigger risk

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible
starbug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 09:37   #9
starbug2
This is my second home

Silver Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDTI + MGF 1.8 in BRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasboy View Post
I has two 214's both suffered HGF. Best engine is the 2.0td, it's bulletproof and very economical.
i had a 45 with the same L series engine , a good engine

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible
starbug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:01   #10
kevrandle
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat hanley View Post
Thanks in anticipation
My daughter has just bought a Rover Streetwise. Is this a Rover 25 in disguise? It has only done 29000 miles but should we worry about HGF? If so are there any early signs to look for?

Many thanks, Kev.
kevrandle is offline   Reply With Quote