Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th October 2018, 15:40   #1
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Default Cross threaded wishbone bush bolt?

I've come to the conclusion I think the bolt I can't undo on the front lower wishbone bush is cross threaded and won't come undone, see below.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=288802

I'm assuming there is no easy fix to this. Anybody had this before?
How did you overcome it?
I'm guessing there is no easy way to sort it??
Thanks.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2018, 16:24   #2
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I would like to meet the person who can cross thread this bolt!
It would be a sensation to see a living Neanderthaler!
Old 16th October 2018, 19:12   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I don't wish to alarm you too much, but I have come across a bodge to end all bodges in this area............

Some smartarse had knurdled the thread in a subframe fitted to a local members car, was it repaired properly? err no how about a tack weld to secure the bush to the subframe, and cut the head off the bolt and tack weld that to the bush

Quality workmanship at it's best

Seriously though you would not be able to wind an M14x1 bolt into the subframe cross threaded and you should persist as the only real alternative is to drop the subframe to improve access.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2018, 19:29   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I don't wish to alarm you too much, but I have come across a bodge to end all bodges in this area............

Some smartarse had knurdled the thread in a subframe fitted to a local members car, was it repaired properly? err no how about a tack weld to secure the bush to the subframe, and cut the head off the bolt and tack weld that to the bush

Seriously though you would not be able to wind an M14x1 bolt into the subframe cross threaded and you should persist as the only real alternative is to drop the subframe to improve access.

Brian
I remember that one well!
Old 16th October 2018, 21:41   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post
I've come to the conclusion I think the bolt I can't undo on the front lower wishbone bush is cross threaded and won't come undone, see below.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=288802

I'm assuming there is no easy fix to this. Anybody had this before?
How did you overcome it?
I'm guessing there is no easy way to sort it??
Thanks.
Agree with Trikey in your other thread - some of these can be exceedingly tight even when correctly threaded. I've had a couple that were FT and a right pain to loosen.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2018, 22:07   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

For "FT" 18mm A/F flange bolts, treat yourself to something like this perhaps

LINK

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2018, 22:27   #7
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:

Brian
Thanks Brian.

What made me think it was cross threaded was because when the front bolt was out the mount was a little loose on the subframe. After hitting it with a hammer to break the bolt loose I was able to manipulate the mount by hand. This is while the bolt was seized solid.

I realise it is probably incredibly difficult to cross thread. I think some point recently before i got the car at someone has changed the subframe. It has some markings on it in what looks like a scrappies marker pen, and then paint and condition is really good for the age and mileage compared to other parts on the car. I'm thinking someone may have done it up badly with an air gun whilst the subframe was off the car.

I had another go this evening but still no luck, and I'm starting to see the spanner or socket slip off the bolt, due to the awkward angle of levering.

I think i'm approaching my limit of my abilities and facilities so I spoke to Tim at Exeter Road Garage for some advice and to see if he can sort it, and he said the same as you. He reckons about £100 labour, seeing as I've already got the part to fit, for the worst case scenario to drop the subframe and get at it with an air gun. Though he's not going to have space for at least a week, i was hoping to sort it this week as I'm off to Disneyland on Saturday night.
Old 16th October 2018, 22:41   #8
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:

Brian
Jesus W.

It is stuff like this which is why I am allergic to garages.

Sucks doing everything yourself though, but at least you know it is done correctly.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 06:42   #9
Cable Tie
Regional Secretary

Orange grove ztt cdti

Thanked 1,381 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:

Brian
We had a similar one on the Connie se of the wife’s shortened bolt then cross threaded mega tight,it took 4x longer to sort and cured a knocking on the front which cost me a fortune in bits,this was done by an ex trader on here who should never be aloud to touch another persons car let alone his own
Old 17th October 2018, 20:52   #10
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

I tried to find a long 18mm spanner today without success, but did buy a six sided 18mm socket.
I had a go with it on the long breaker bar and had a small moment of success this evening, although i nearly put my shoulder out in the process

This time, without the socket slipping I managed to tighten the stubborn bolt about 1/12 of a turn, fortunately i then undid it the same amount. I did this twice and then gave up as it was getting too dark.

I gave it yet another soaking with penetrating oil, ready for tomorrow's attempt.