Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th January 2007, 13:20   #1
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default Pics of my V8 air intake and filter

To get the Drive by NVH right the MGR engineers had to do some creative resonance engineering with the Air intake which because of its shape became known as Thors Hammer :-

The airfilter is in the bit that looks like an upside down flower pot, the entire intake goes down almost to the engine cover and then rises up into the inner wing

The Airfilter is very big mine was filthy full of leaves sycamore seeds and a long dead bird had got in there as well! We are dealing with big stuff here though amd the pipe work is very large bore so the car did not seem to notice, :-

I may put a bit of mesh over the open inlet to prevent any large objects finding their way in there again we all know leaves etc get in to the most peculiar places and as for mice Remember the one Dr Dave found under the bonnet at Beaulieu!

As part of my exercise to replace the black grill mesh with Stainless mesh I decided it would be a good time to change the filter and fit a long life K&N unit

As can be seen from the pic above the existing filter is a bit grubby and wet water seems to be able to enter the air intake either at the top? or possibly it can be sucked in through the drain holes at the bottom but I guess you would need to be in standing water for that to happen? This has been mentioned previously on the two-sixties forum and reportedly the car can suffer a misfire in wet conditions I have driven mine in very wet conditions and I have not noticed any misfire myself so It may be those who have noticed a misfire either do not have the drain holes or they are blocked

In my car bugs have been getting past the filter shown here caught by the mesh in the maf housing at a guess this is because there was probably a slight leak around the dislodged pipe joint as explained below

When I undid the clip around the filter housing I noticed the rest of the assembly was a bit wobbly although there are four good bolts from Maf housing to the next part of the intake the join from there onwards is not so strong. Two clips and some glue, my glue joint had broken perhaps as I was pulling it apart or maybe as a result of a knock the car may had received previously as there are some light scrapes in the plastic. The clips themselves are now slightly worn so not good enough any more imho. I will reassembled with a couple of additional self tappers

Lastly a pic to show where the elbow joins to the rest of the intake as there is more plumbing before the TB

Last edited by Keith; 10th January 2007 at 10:44..
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 14:18   #2
Ti Rich
Gets stuck in

Audi A6 TDi 175

That's crying out for an after market intake!
ZT CDTi, gone but not forgotten!
Ti Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 15:14   #3
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Yes but apparently it then gets a bit noisy!
A dirty great induction filter somewhere ahead of the maf seems sensible but there is not a lot of room
Old 9th January 2007, 15:17   #4
Ti Rich
Gets stuck in

Audi A6 TDi 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Yes but apparently it then gets a bit noisy!
Errr - isn't that one of the reasons you brought the V8???? To listen to the soundtrack!
ZT CDTi, gone but not forgotten!
Ti Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 16:26   #5
Simon
Banned

-

I'm just jealous at the bore size of the pipework and throttle body...

Wish my KV6 had that for it's air intake....
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 10:01   #6
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Rich View Post
Errr - isn't that one of the reasons you brought the V8???? To listen to the soundtrack!
Funnily enough I find (and those I have taken out in it) that inside the cabin the sound is nicely rewarding as it is, somebody put a lot of hours testing into getting it to sound just right imho so well done to them.

One day I would like to fit the Zero exhausts that have been developed by the guys on the two-sixties forum but primarily only if they provide an improvement in power as well

At the moment It is rather like my 190 not really that loud on the outside but a big on the inside.

As it stands it is high up on the ultimate Q car rankings most people have no idea what it is, unless you want to pull away fast that is!

I quite like it like that as I can nip into Shrewsbury and trundle through the high street without raising any eyebrows!
Old 10th January 2007, 10:18   #7
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

It is worth remebering although regulary serviced at an MGR dealer my car has shall we say been "driven a lot" by its previous owner (40,000 miles in 18 months) he certainly did not spend much time cleaning it and I still can't get all the Brake dust off the wheels!

I noticed he has probably kerbed it or grounded it on something which I reckon has lifted the brake duct and taken a chunk out of the wheel arch liner and probably clobbered the air filter housing slightly as there are a few scuff marks underneath.

I think that is why the joint may have broken so I do not put it down to any bad design

I would love to know from those involved in the original design and testing work what other options were being considered, Womble what bit of yours is different?

As we know from the Diesel thread Ron started on the intake all sorts of good (and some hair brain) ideas evolved as a result and they still are

Last edited by Keith; 10th January 2007 at 11:16..
Old 10th January 2007, 16:57   #8
Scarlet Fever
Avid contributor

ZT 260 (#27 of 217)

I have often wondered what MGR did to my V8 when they had it. The history of my car is that i bought in Feb 2006 from Brown and Gammons with 79,000 miles on the clock, that's right 79K. It has had one previous owner to myself, MGR Rover Group, Longbridge and the mileage is a consequence of the car's purpose at Longbridge - it was a long-term test vehicle.

As i understand it the brief was to run it and run it to see what breaks and from there develop cures.

It'd be an interesting car to take apart i reckon, but you'd need to be very familiar with the 260 to spot the alterations i suppose. What i can say is that the top heater hose appears to be the same as everyone elses (booo!) and the car was sold with a duff clutch master and slave cylinder and excessive play in the gearbox main input bearing - still, i went into this with my eyes open and full knowledge that the car was sold as seen (no warrantee - B+G policy apparently, i'll never buy a car from them again thats for sure). All sorted now though and the car is sweet as a nut, but i still wonder what they had to do to get to this kind of mileage so quickly and what they developed as a consequence of my car's previous life.
ZT 260 - #27

Last edited by Scarlet Fever; 10th January 2007 at 16:59..
Scarlet Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 18:00   #9
Womble
Avid contributor

ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I would love to know from those involved in the original design and testing work what other options were being considered, Womble what bit of yours is different?
I'm not really sure to be honest! Rincewind took a look under the bonnet, pointed at the top part of the intake, visible behind the bumper just before the big pipe which crosses to the throttle body and said **** me! That shouldn't be there!

Needless to say, I was delighted with this reaction!

He then went on to point out that mine is white where everyone else's is black, and is apparently a one-piece resin prototype (iirc). It probably also doesn't have the actual resonator, so is marginally louder than standard at the intake level. Being bright green tends to slightly remove the 'Q' car effect anyway!

You're welcome to come and have a poke around at Haynes if you like!

'Kermit' - MG ZT-T 260 Mk1 - VIN 019
Womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 23:03   #10
Als260

ZT-T 260

Has anyone tried changing the intake pipework at all? I can't imagine it would make that much more noise and surely you wouldn't notice it if you have either of the aftermarket exhausts like alot of us have now. Even tho I've got a replacement K&N I'm tempted to have a fiddle, maybe in the Summer when the weather is a bit more favourable for trial and error paipework cutting mods.

Al.
Als260 is offline   Reply With Quote