Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd December 2007, 18:56   #11
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Goody View Post
You could find these are std brushes used in a siemens motor in a Bosch/ Miele washing machine?
I remember buying new wheel bearings for a trailer, paid about £50 and then showed old ones to a guy who repaired washing machines. He could have sold me one for £10 as same as Hotpoint automatic drum bearing!!
My first point of call was the local washing machine repair
centre. No joy i am afraid they said they didn't have anything that heavy duty in their machines.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 20:47   #12
amableson
Gets stuck in

Ex Rover 75 owner

I am a Miele washing machine service agent, and to my recollection, and ive been servicing Miele for over 20years there is no brush certainly within the last 10years that would fit and anyway the copper content is not enough, the resistance would not be low enough to allow it to run as the latest miele machines brushes are too big and the old ones voltages are too high.
That rules out Miele anyway.
Old 9th December 2007, 10:30   #13
marimasse
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by amableson View Post
... the latest miele machines brushes are too big ...
Well, was it only a matter of dimensions, big brushes can alway be cut and rubbed...
Anyway, as we are living in a global market, it is almost certain that minor components (electrical motors themselves and their components of course) are strongly standardized. In order to reduce costs, any manufacturer obviously tries to reduce as much as he can the number of different components.
It is therefore extremely unlikely to imagine that the brushes used in (sadly ex) Rover cars' fan motors were produced exclusively for those very motors and no others at all.
The big problem lays in finding out which other motors they were (and hopefully still are) produced for.
Anyone knowing someone in the business, electronic engineer or something who can give some safe advice?
marimasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 10:34   #14
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimasse View Post
Well, was it only a matter of dimensions, big brushes can alway be cut and rubbed...
Anyway, as we are living in a global market, it is almost certain that minor components (electrical motors themselves and their components of course) are strongly standardized. In order to reduce costs, any manufacturer obviously tries to reduce as much as he can the number of different components.
It is therefore extremely unlikely to imagine that the brushes used in (sadly ex) Rover cars' fan motors were produced exclusively for those very motors and no others at all.
The big problem lays in finding out which other motors they were (and hopefully still are) produced for.
Anyone knowing someone in the business, electronic engineer or something who can give some safe advice?

I can pass you details of a company that can supply " a suitable alternative"I sent them all the data and photo's I could get hold of and they claim to have something suitable, but they work out at about £7 EACH.....
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 12:33   #15
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Fan Brushes

As far as I am aware, it is not only the material and dimension of the replacement brushes that is important.
How much the commutator has worn is just as, if not more than, important. Could go to the trouble of locating and buying brushes only to find out on stripping old one (& that can be risky anyway !) that replacing brushes is only a very short term fix.
Certainly, in my opinion, if the new brushes are in any way harder than the originals it won't be a long term fix.
Anyway, yer pays yer money................. ! !
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 06:56   #16
marimasse
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofts View Post
... Could go to the trouble of locating and buying brushes only to find out on stripping old one (& that can be risky anyway !) that replacing brushes is only a very short term fix ...
I agree with that.

That's why I would like to find out some cheap suitable brushes. As I plan to do the job myself (no labour cost), I could accept the idea of risking some 20€ for the brushes, should they turn out to be no use.

But if one spends much more money for the brushes, than obviously one has to be sure that they are a reasonably proper and long term fix. Which is very difficult, as you can't know exactly WHAT is wrong (brushes, commutator, fan control unit...) until you spend at least a couple of hours removing the fan from its place in order to examine it.

Another way could be removing the fan and THEN, while the car stays at home, looking for a suitable repair. That requires, however, having much spare time AND another vehicle to get around with...
marimasse is offline   Reply With Quote