Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th December 2007, 15:36   #11
Armoredbrummy

Rover 75 Tourer

Having recently run out of fuel completely with the message centre telling me I had a range of 8 miles, but a vertical needle right against the stop, I can confirm that there is no red light, it stays amber! It wasn't the best experience I can tell you, middle of nowhere, jet black night, no filling stations within 5 miles and no jerry can in the boot either!
Armoredbrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2007, 19:25   #12
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

OP absolutely no need to mess about leaving quarter of a tank of fuel in the car unless you personally want to.

I regularly run my cars down to near empty typically 30 miles or so after the orange led comes on (well 20 in the V8) and when (if) one day my in tank pump packs up I will replace it and continue to use the full capacity of the fuel tank as I would in any car
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 00:08   #13
Aga
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi Black Pearl

Before my ZT I used to have a 51 plate CDTi in Wedgewood Blue. I ran out of fuel TWICE in Tesco's car park only 2 miles from my home - discovered after shopping that my car would not start DESPITE it showing that I was 1/4 full!! The Green Flag guy on both occasions stated that this was a common problem on my car (he actually stated all 75's - not just mine!) and he got it going in no time!
At the time, I could not believe that I had run out of fuel with (apparently) still 1/4 tank left!
Fortunately, I have had no such problem with my 05 plate ZT - I have regularly taken it below 1/8th tank and had no problem whatsoever!
Aga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2007, 19:04   #14
FROGGY
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT CDTI

Personally, I like to keep my tank nearer to full than empty all the time, because:
1) you don't save any money if you wait until it is empty
2) if I need to go somewhere in an emergency I don't have to worry about the fuel level
3) there is less chance of picking up s**t from the bottom of the tank (yes I know the pump's sat in the bottom, but if it only has s**t to choose from, that's what ends up in your filter)
4) the saddle tank transfer arrangement isn't the best, so keeping the fuel level up helps

Mick
FROGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 13:07   #15
crofts

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default 1/4 tank dilema

Agree with you entirely Mick. What IS the advantage in running the tank to nearly empty.
From my observation it is rarely owners with a full tank that have starting problems etc.
I'll stick with the over 1/4 tank rule thanks and rule out one possibility. (stating the obvious but you don't have to brim the tank just cause it's getting low !)
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 13:18   #16
crofts

Default fuel pick up

Quote:
Originally Posted by r44712 View Post
Surely the fuel pick up is at the lowest point (think about it) and therefore so long as there's fuel in the tank its getting lubricated...?

I've never had any issues any of my cars ever which always go "into the red" before a refil.

Total urban myth.
Yes, but then the 75 is fairly unique in having a saddle tank & I don't think anyone can tell you with any degree of authority what is happening in each side when the tank is nearly empty.
Look at the comments from members re driving on motorways vs A & B roads where movement of the car assists distribution in the two sides of the tank.
I still don't feel it is an 'open & shut' situation, so I'll play 'safe' thanks.
Old 9th December 2007, 21:10   #17
Aga
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi Black Pearl

At the end of the day, you do rely upon the guage. If you are in danger of stopping if you are 1/4 full, then you are effectively relying upon a tank that is not as specified. That is to say, if you have to work on the assumption that 1/4 of the tank is wasted, then you do not really have a tank of 60 or 65 ltres to feed from. THERE IS A QUARTER OF A TANK THAT YOU CAN NEVER USE!!! That cannot be good!
Aga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 23:23   #18
crofts

Default 1/4 tank dilema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aga View Post
At the end of the day, you do rely upon the guage. If you are in danger of stopping if you are 1/4 full, then you are effectively relying upon a tank that is not as specified. That is to say, if you have to work on the assumption that 1/4 of the tank is wasted, then you do not really have a tank of 60 or 65 ltres to feed from. THERE IS A QUARTER OF A TANK THAT YOU CAN NEVER USE!!! That cannot be good!
You won't stop on a 1/4 tank and on an occasional basis it PROBABLY won't do much harm to run it lower. Truth is, the older the pump the more likely it is to fail, IMO. The 1/4 tank is not wasted just added to. That's like saying why fill the brake resevoir when it only needs a bit in the bottom to work the brakes ! !
just added to

Last edited by crofts; 9th December 2007 at 23:26.. Reason: typo
Old 10th December 2007, 00:01   #19
podge

Rover 75 Tourer CDT CLUB SE Copper Red Mica Dec 01 ....now deceased....replaced by2003 Royal Blue T

Just a thought guys , if you are running around a lot with very low fuel levels you stand a good chance of water contamination from condensation and you dont want that sitting in the filter/injection pump, its just an observation from the diesel vehicles used at work, the ones that are allways low on fuel give the biggest corrosion in pump problems.........enough from me its getting late!
podge is offline   Reply With Quote