Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd May 2010, 21:47   #11
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Normal operation is the slow fan runs continuously when aircon is in Auto mode. It should stop a few seconds after switching to Econ.

Air locks can be removed using the Pela vacuum pump if you have one.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:00   #12
markb63
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190 +

my kenlow fan comes on as soon as i select auto for the aircon and as t-cut says goes off when put in to manual , as for the air lock a pella or spend a long time as i did doing it manually , completly empty the system bottom hose and also the engine block drain plug which most forget , i also removed the heater matrix bit of a ****** to get out and descaled that with cetral heating ( fernox ) , you must get the header tank as high as poss and take your time , i am sure you would only pay a garage about one hrs labour to fill it by the pella pump
markb63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:07   #13
ianfletcher
I really should get out more.......

BMW 1 series

Low speed is working then as fan comes on when aircon is switched on and goes off when switched back off. I think it's just down to having air trapped that's causing the problem. I will take the header tank off tomorrow and hold it as high as I can whilst filling with the bleed screw out. I have to do this with a hot running engine don't I? And if so won't coolant come out of the tank whilst the cap is off or won't it because I will be holding it higher?
ianfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:13   #14
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

[quote=ianfletcher;528208]I have been trying to get rid of it but really struggling to get it to move. I think I'm going to end up booking it in at the garage for Friday and let them do it[/quote

you need to get rid of air lock ,fan is coming on cos enginge is running hot .your system is not circuling has it should because of the airlock,mine was like that when i first bought the car ,then my tophose burst and it knackered my water pump. so please get it done NOW as in this hotter weather its not gonna be long before something nasty happens to the car ..either top or bottom aint getting cooled so it will build up pressure and burst a hose or damage the head gasket ..fan should come on around 105 c it will come on at lights but only if temp hits 105 c.you may have an aditional problem with fan to ,on off on off suggests the resistor needs replacing or upgradeing to a jules gold one..thats if you have the 2 speed fan .but the air in system is a job that has to be done right now .. 88 is a bit low to run .should run around the 95/97 mark on the move.
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:46   #15
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfletcher View Post
Low speed is working then as fan comes on when aircon is switched on and goes off when switched back off. I think it's just down to having air trapped that's causing the problem. I will take the header tank off tomorrow and hold it as high as I can whilst filling with the bleed screw out. I have to do this with a hot running engine don't I? And if so won't coolant come out of the tank whilst the cap is off or won't it because I will be holding it higher?
you do not run the engine while bleeding/filling the water system.
fill when cold is best. first thing in the morning.hold the header tank up as high as you can.open the bleed screw,, and fill the system with water until water flows from the bleed screw without any bubbles. tighten bleed screw, and put the header tank down, or if you can,keep it as high as you possible.
squeeze the pipe on the bottom of the radiator 3/4 times, then repeat that on all water pipes that you can see from the bottom upwards.you will hear gurgling in the header tank .
when you have finished, open bleed screw and fill until water flows from the screw for 10/20 seconds. tighten screw. all the air should have gone if you have filled slowly.
hope this helps.
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:31   #16
ianfletcher

BMW 1 series

Just tried bleeding and got the gurgleing sound from the header tank but could also here a noise of air coming from the v of the engine so i am guessing the thermostat, pipes are maybe both have gone again as i only replaced them last july!!

I bought the thermostat kit from rimmerbros and according to the invoice it was bought on 06/07/09. Does anyone know if this will be covered by the 12 months warranty and if so will i have to send the offending parts back to them before they replace as this will immobilise the car which i need to get to and from work everyday?
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:36   #17
FROGGY

MG ZT CDTI

The gurgling noise may not be the harbinger of doom, but merely air moving through the system.

Mick

IN THE BLACK NOW
FROGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:40   #18
ianfletcher

BMW 1 series

I thought that but it does sound as if it's sucking and blowing from that area as I squeeze the coolant pipes
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:13   #19
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfletcher View Post
I thought that but it does sound as if it's sucking and blowing from that area as I squeeze the coolant pipes
If it's as bad as it sounds, I'm surprised you have any coolant left, let alone an air lock.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:37   #20
ianfletcher

BMW 1 series

Well yesterday I had to put half a litre in and this morning when I went out to bleed it the header tank was empty again. I'm right that Jules fixes problems with coolant systems aren't I as I want to take it to somewhere that knows what they are doing with these cars and one that won't rip me off and he seems closest to me?