Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th January 2019, 08:15   #61
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Adrian.
You will not be alone with this problem, all owners should be checking around the jacking pads/points for any bubbling which is the first sign of rust occurring under the protective seal in that area.

For some reason there are no drain hole before & aft of these jacking points, I am also convinced because of this fact the jacking pads do not help I could be wrong.

Only last week I decided to do my usual yearly under body check, ie check the rear upper arms brake pipes etc, I noticed that around the rear jacking points a slight bubbling & tiny rust line.

I then poked the area with a blunt tool and to my big surprise around the jacking point it gave way, the same test last year I did and that sill area was solid so it shows just how quick the rust can eat through the metal, now due to the up coming nano meet I have crudely repaired the area with some new metal after cleaning back to bare metal and treating it.

This will give me time to decide before the next MOT January as to do I have the sills repaired properly or do I call it a day on the car.
I’m a keeper and recently spent £800 doing both sills (extensively rusted) and a good paint job thereafter. I will have it undersealed soon too. The sills are the weakest point for rust but after 18 years on the road, I can’t complain too much.
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2019, 10:43   #62
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
So are some of the owners
You speak for yourself.