Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th December 2018, 16:55   #11
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
I think most of us have refitted using big penny washers. Not sure if you can run one wthout
And after a few years more the heatshields corrode and fall out of the penny washers, then it is time to resort to a bit of drilled flat bar held by the bolts on either side.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 22:10   #12
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Its not Stan it's in the manual in black and white, Section 6.1.3(e) Fire risk due to fuel tank shield or exhaust shield missing where fitted as original equipment.

During a DPF regen for example, the temp can easily reach 600C+, if its blocked then they can go even higher, therefore heatshields are an essential safety aspect, even none DPF cars can have faults which raise the exhaust temps.

Unfortunately standards vary between MoT testers but its not our test, it belongs to the DVSA and we just follow the rules and regulations as laid down by their training and manuals (or at least i do!)
100% Uncle Phil.
Although only 2 have failed by me,
1 was a car purchased by a foreign couple who bought a car from a trader with no MOT on it.
2 was a rather upset guy who knew his car had a problem with the shields, but chose to ignore it.

Where possible, I do a PRS assuming I have the appropriate materials to re-fit a loose one.

As we have discussed in the past, there are the pub goers crew who know everything about cars after a few jars, but often proved wrong.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 22:21   #13
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Strangely enough, I obtained a replacement fuel tank heatshield for the ZT last week.

It's not had one fitted in all of the time I've owned it, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to grab one from a car that was making it's final journey, when I was removing the FBH dosing pump.

I have to say I'll be fitting it at the weekend, when I drop the exhaust off to allow the subframe to be removed, I hope it's snowing though, I wouldn't feel happy doing the job in a nice dry workshop on a 2 post lift, when I can relax on my driveway

Onward and upward

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 22:34   #14
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Don't be mislead Brian. The MOT ramp with air operated beam jack is much over-stated, the air conditioning is freaky cold where I work with no heat, apart from the Tester's office.
The ramp has been a real handy tool for me when the MOT diary is a bit slack, my oddball 75 has received many treats to include underside protection, brake adjustments among a host of other benefits.
I do miss doing clutches on the floor though, got any lined up to do ?
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 22:48   #15
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Sounds like I have the latest in grease-monkey comfort, a piece of oil-stained carpet to provide some protection from the cold, damp stone slabs of my barn floor. I'll probably be spending some time there over Christmas, the in-laws and out-laws are arriving en-masse in a few days!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 22:51   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
Don't be mislead Brian. The MOT ramp with air operated beam jack is much over-stated, the air conditioning is freaky cold where I work with no heat, apart from the Tester's office.
The ramp has been a real handy tool for me when the MOT diary is a bit slack, my oddball 75 has received many treats to include underside protection, brake adjustments among a host of other benefits.
I do miss doing clutches on the floor though, got any lined up to do ?
Yep, it's a clutch and flywheel this weekend John, you can't beat avoiding last minute Christmas shopping, or indeed any Christmas shopping by fitting a clutch on your driveway.

I'm really looking forward to doing it on axle stands, rather than using my two post lift, which is a bit of a sore point at the moment

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 01:04   #17
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Apologies, I bought the remaining stock of these from China.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 03:55   #18
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
As we have discussed in the past, there are the pub goers crew who know everything about cars after a few jars, but often proved wrong.
But then we also have varying standards by mot testers as stated in a previous post so it's not all the " pub goers fault"

I posted what I was told by a garage which I started to use after my local guy had retired , I don't know them apart from mots and tyres , which I's all I use them for.

If one year the rule is not in the mot testers bible and then it is put in the following year , how does that make the car any more dangerous than it was the previous year?

Can anyone shed some light on if this ruling is valid in other countries , France, Ireland, n Ireland etc?

Stan
Old 20th December 2018, 09:28   #19
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by philm View Post
Not sure how many testers would know that one was fitted as original equipment,still at a loss over the fact you get an advisory for the engine under tray as fitted from new.

That is not correct. You do not get an advisory for a fitted under tray. The advisory is for the fact that the tester cannot see and therefore advise on teh state of the car behind the under tray.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote