Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th December 2018, 13:00   #1
Becs512
Loves to post

MG ZT

Default Tyre recommendations?

I know it is very much a personal choice but, I have to invest in a complete set of tyres for my : V6 MGZT.
I do quite a lot of mileage but, would like a good quality tyre.
Any suggestions?
Size : 225 45 R18
Becs512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2018, 13:46   #2
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Yokohama blue earth? Had set some years ago good all rounder and great in wet. Not cheap on black circles but bet you could get a set for less on ebay.

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalog...?tyre=35841806
boink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2018, 15:34   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I put Continental M3’s on The Flying Banana. Lots of grip but not cheap.
Also have fitted Uni-Royal Rain Spots. Lots of grip but wear out quickly.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 15th December 2018 at 15:34.. Reason: Missed a space out.
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2018, 15:34   #4
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

I have been a fan of Nexen N8000 on my last few cars, my ZT came with them on the front and they haven't changed my mind.

They don't seem to be available any more but have been replaced by n'fera su1 and as far as I can find out, they seem to be considered slightly better so I will probably fit some of those when the time comes.

Avoid Autogrip tyres, I bought a ZS a few years ago fitted with four of them, they let go at pretty low speeds without warning in the dry and in the wet, it was like driving on ice. I would hate to see what they were like on actual ice.

No idea how they compare on a ZT but had Bridgestone Potenza RE050 on the ZS after that and later on a Toyota celica and found them to be very good in both wet and dry and any loss of grip was progressive and predictable. They were both pretty light cars compared to the ZT though so no idea how they react to a much heavier car.

Last edited by EdgarDonaldBalls; 15th December 2018 at 15:42..
EdgarDonaldBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2018, 16:29   #5
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I have Pirelli Cinturato P7 all around on our CDT and have no complaints. They are excellent in all respects, as are Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance.

I have had Nexen N8000 previously and for upper-budget range tyre they were very good.

Nexen tyres are the minimum that I would consider for our cars.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2018, 16:31   #6
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

I now subscribe to the two sets tyres concept like Europe. Snow tyres November to March and Summer tyres rest of the year. I used to build build tyres for Michelin and know the tradic consequences of difference between tread and compound on the snow and rain. Id rather have an all season tyre on a daily that a summer tyre which can't dispurse rain for jack squit.

Means I can keep my best alloys for the summer and a similar set over winter.

Plus gives me better choice of tyres.

I've my 75 on hakook alpine tyres, 205 50 17 (over 225 width as I always feel a snow tyre is most efficient when has less tyre wall flex), not a snow tyre but a proper alpine snow and ice tyre that also dispurses water like a rain tyre. It's a great hybrid. I've 19,000 miles done on my current set and over 5mm tread left. Very hard wearing and have been over Europe several times.

https://alltyres365.co.uk/Tyre/car/w...50R17+93V+XL/? gclid=Cj0KCQiA6dLgBRDoARIsAJgoM4t3wDcp9ohy3ASDwyus mNYMg0IsYTHaw22c4cz4KIFI3d8JhU-mv1gaAuS5EALw_wcB

Other half's Streetwise is also on alpine tyres by kumho on 205 50 16 also. https://alltyres365.co.uk/Tyre/car/w...MaAiqFEALw_wcB

15,000 miles on them and about 4-5mm tread still left. I've 4 other streetwise rims for her without tyres atm so will likely figure something for her by the summer. Kumho Estcas or similar.

I swap them for my summer tyres usually different rims and profile but this year my summer car will be my 75 also so I will drive the hankooks until they are done and replace all 4 again for next winter. Hopefully see 22 to 25,000 out of them.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 12:16   #7
corvette

mg zt 160t+

This is gonna raise eyebrows but I fitted Landsail LS388 to my zt turbo, after fitting them on my 1977 mgb, they are as good as premium brands , both in grip and wear, which is no mean feat at this price, about 60 depending on who you buy them from.I cant recommend them highly enough.
corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 19:06   #8
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

Another vote for Nexens here, I have had a few sets now on non 75’s.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 21:58   #9
davros
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Michelin Cross Climate. Not cheap but decent in all weathers and extra peace of mind in the winter.
davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 12:54   #10
championdaddy
This is my second home

Mg Zt 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarDonaldBalls View Post
I have been a fan of Nexen N8000 on my last few cars, my ZT came with them on the front and they haven't changed my mind.

They don't seem to be available any more but have been replaced by n'fera su1 and as far as I can find out, they seem to be considered slightly better so I will probably fit some of those when the time comes.

Avoid Autogrip tyres, I bought a ZS a few years ago fitted with four of them, they let go at pretty low speeds without warning in the dry and in the wet, it was like driving on ice. I would hate to see what they were like on actual ice.

No idea how they compare on a ZT but had Bridgestone Potenza RE050 on the ZS after that and later on a Toyota celica and found them to be very good in both wet and dry and any loss of grip was progressive and predictable. They were both pretty light cars compared to the ZT though so no idea how they react to a much heavier car.
Nexens are now Roadstone....... Another vote for N8000s...... great tyre for the price.......4 for £200 or there abouts.
championdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote