Could be worse it seems!

It could be made in Singapore.........
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 15:42   #62
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

The Guardian ‘On-line’ today -

Sir James Dyson, the British billionaire inventor and outspoken Brexiter, is moving the headquarters of his vacuum cleaner and hair dryer technology company to Singapore.

Really doesn’t need further comment!
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:07   #63
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
The Guardian ‘On-line’ today -

Sir James Dyson, the British billionaire inventor and outspoken Brexiter, is moving the headquarters of his vacuum cleaner and hair dryer technology company to Singapore.

Really doesn’t need further comment!
Only two senior posts will be going according to the BBC - no other jobs going.

This is more to do with Dyson now being a global company that has recognised that its best options and opportunities lie in the growth economies of the world - not the stagnant ones.
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:14   #64
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Saying no other jobs at Malmesbury will be affected or lost So he's effectively going to have two head offices, aye right. Watch that one with interest.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:23   #65
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Saying no other jobs at Malmesbury will be affected or lost So he's effectively going to have two head offices, aye right. Watch that one with interest.
I think you have to be realistic re manufacturing. We are very expensive compared to other parts of the world. We have to play to our strengths - which is R&D and developing technology.

Trying to be jack of all trades is not wise IMO.

If you want to see Job losses - look at the High St. in any town. Patisserie Valarie has just gone under - about 3000 jobs lost it would seem.

Sad.

Last edited by Darcydog; 22nd January 2019 at 17:37.. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd January 2019, 18:11   #66
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Know all about job losses. When I was a resources manager for the largest rail freight company in the UK there were 80 train drivers at the depot I was based at and around 300 in Scotland alone. Since I left they have succeeded in losing so much business that they are little more than a bit player now and last I heard were going to pull out of Scotland completely.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 20:09   #67
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post

I agree with you. Dyson seems to do everything by stealth.

There is no money to be made from R&D, only manufacturing. Ultimately, design will go where manufacturing goes.

Interestingly, the Germans still make items as mundane as writing pencils and very successfully. They seem to be able to make the financials work despite their wage levels. It is all to do with investment in manufacturing as a national strategy.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 20:43   #68
mbev51
Banned

Removed

If we are not careful we will witness the demise of what’s left of our manufacturing base.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 20:47   #69
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

What is Dysons electric car going to be called a "Brexit" I like that and we can make the MB racing car made in Warickshire change its name to Austin of England. I don't like a lot of people but I try not attribute faults in them that are more a reflection of my own. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2019, 06:04   #70
mbev51
Banned

Removed

The UK hasn't fully really exploited the single market export opportunities, we have become a nation of consumers, so how can we suddenly jump into life as an exporting nation with countries afar? Instead of being asked highly complex questions, the voter should be asked, 'do you want to get poorer quickly?'

I drive passed the Nissan factory near Sunderland every week in my 75 on my visit to my parents. I'm late 60s now, I was a young teacher in the NE when Nissan set up shop, I was at first dubious about a foreign company replacing demised uk companies. Thatcher assured us it was a good economic development and over the years I forgot about my reservations. Some of my ex pupils got good jobs there, seemingly for life. It's been an outstanding success and helped the local area tremendously. If nissan reduces it's presence there over the next few years, or god forbid moves it's entire operations into mainland Europe, the area will quickly decay. What new employment opportunities will replace these good jobs?

We all need to take a reality check and decide what it is we are trying to achieve and is it worth it.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote