Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th July 2022, 14:53   #1
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts
Default Origins

There’s so much knowledge and experience on here it makes me wonder what everyone once did.

16th birthday - ICI apprentice, night school two evenings a week, and playing in a ‘group’ with friends in local pubs such as The Boat House in Runcorn at the weekend.

The Boat House led to the first girlie friend. Star quality, obviously. Then I found out what to do. No not that, I mean proper chord sequences. Also my first lessons in how to dodge the new phenomena of flying stools. The ones you sit on. Great nights though. Then, at about midnight, a 2 hour walk home with Hofner Senator and Watkins Amp. I was the first left-handed guitar player that played it the right way round. Thanks to Lonnie Donegan, the Vipers, and Chas McDevitt and Nancy Whiskey.

We, Billy Mullen and Bobby Didsbury, oh, and later with my good friends George Newby, his brother Norman (plus tea chest base) and sister Doris Lamb, used to book a charabanc from Yates coach hire for our out-of-town gigs to take us and a local assortment of paying ‘fans’ to exotic venues like Crew Working Men's Club and others. The curtained back seat on the coach was not offered to the fans. Well, not all of them anyway. Not at once.

After 2 years of unlimited fame, and very limited fortune, it was obvious I was not made of the right stuff to be an Instruments Artificer. Or the next Eddie Cochran either. The Indentures were cancelled. That was swiftly followed by a brief notice in Runcorn Weekly News. The very first apprentice at my works ever to have his indentures cancelled. I’ve still got the instruments I made in the workshops.

Then at eighteen, a job advert in your actual Liverpool Echo for trainee butchers in your actual London. Live-in, no less.

Last edited by wraymond; 18th July 2022 at 14:55..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote