Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st November 2016, 17:58   #21
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

I'm still of the understanding - if you test early and fail/pass it will invalidate the previous test - if it's 1 month early and you pass - you have 12 months valid mot not 13 months - and if you fail - you don't have 1 months "valid" mot left on the "previous" test.

regardless of advice or database status - if involved in a court issue - an accident involving a car tested and failed before expiry of previous test for instance - said car will have no valid/legal mot certificate - and unless being driven "reasonable" distance for repair/re-test - the owner is acting outside of the legal requirements

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 18:09   #22
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Wow the waters are muddied over this one. Is there not a definitive ruling or law stated by the powers to be on this subject.
Old 1st November 2016, 18:10   #23
raykay

Now Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
I'm still of the understanding - if you test early and fail/pass it will invalidate the previous test - if it's 1 month early and you pass - you have 12 months valid mot not 13 months - and if you fail - you don't have 1 months "valid" mot left on the "previous" test.

regardless of advice or database status - if involved in a court issue - an accident involving a car tested and failed before expiry of previous test for instance - said car will have no valid/legal mot certificate - and unless being driven "reasonable" distance for repair/re-test - the owner is acting outside of the legal requirements

Paul.
Completely wrong, a subsequent test, if the vehicle fails within the validity of a current test pass, has no effect on the validity of that current pass certificate.

If the vehicle was involved in an accident, the only thing that would be relevant would be if it was roadworthy or not, the status of it's current test history would be irrelevant.

Last edited by raykay; 1st November 2016 at 18:38..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 18:30   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I have just realised something that may explain my thinking. I have assumed that a failed test is recorded on the computer system, when an mot is carried out in England. Perhaps that does not happen? Whereas if you fail an mot here, the system is updated, as it is a government operated agency here.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 18:34   #25
raykay

Now Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I have just realised something that may explain my thinking. I have assumed that a failed test is recorded on the computer system, when an mot is carried out in England. Perhaps that does not happen? Whereas if you fail an mot here, the system is updated, as it is a government operated agency here.
It will be recorded that the vehicle has failed, but it will have no effect on the validity of a current pass certificate.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 18:36   #26
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post

Paul.
If you put your car in 1 month early and it passes then the new MOT is dated for 1 year from the expiry of the old MOT, i.e. 13 months......
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 18:38   #27
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
Earlier this year my daughters Beetle failed its MOT 6 weeks before it's existing one expired. It was taken at the time due to my operation. It was fixed four weeks later, during that time the MOT check on the website continually reported it was MOT'd up to the time it was due to expire.

Last edited by murphyv310; 1st November 2016 at 18:45..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 18:40   #28
johnnyb44

Rover 75

That's right Steve. I have always put my car in a month early for its test and I've always left the test station with 13 months Mot.
Old 1st November 2016, 18:51   #29
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

ok - i think i stand corrected on this one

it's in the documentation - a car passing an mot receives a "certificate" valid for 12 months
a car failing mot is refused a pass certificate - and not issued with any certificate of failure

so - prior in-date certificate stands

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 18:59   #30
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
It will be recorded that the vehicle has failed, but it will have no effect on the validity of a current pass certificate.
Not quite - the DVSA guidance is that “You can take your vehicle away to have the failed defects repaired if your MOT certificate is still valid.”

However if you do drive your car in the belief that its ok cos the original Mot certificate is still valid is wrong as the vehicle is technically unroadworthy as it has failed to meet the minimum standards. This info is recorded on the database and available to the police etc. If you were to be caught driving a dangerous vehicle, you could be prosecuted – and you definitely can’t plead ignorance as you will have an MoT fail sheet informing you of this irrespective of a still valid MoT certificate from 11/12 months previously. Moreover your insurance will be invalidated - yet another offence in the eyes of the law

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote