Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th January 2009, 20:11   #1
stonesfan
Loves to post

Lexus GS

Default Care of A/C during winter.

Hi

Obviously the AC is not needed at the moment! But I've heard a couple of stories about running your AC system during the non summer seasons to maintain and preserve the gas and oil levels. I've always run my ac during the winter, usually using option 2 as a safe bet. But....

1 is that simply running the system on 'auto' or 'demist' for 10 minutes every couple of weeks regardless of the temp setting is enough to maintain the system.

2 is that you have to actually turn the 'cooling' on by selecting 'Lower' on the control to maintain the system for the 10 mins.

Any idea which is actually correct?

thanks
stonesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 20:32   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Running the A/C system periodically is primarily to endure the seals and compressor mechanism remains lubricated. The refrigerant contains a special lube, which helps prevent the polymer parts from drying out and leaking. The compressor is also lubricated in this way. Running the system can't reduce eventual loss of gas. This is almost inevitable and will require a refill every few years.

Any reasonably normal setting under 'Auto' mode should be OK. If you click to a fairly low temperature, it may increase the work done by the refrigeration system and help the workout. I'd suggest running it for about 15 minutes once a week or so.

T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 20:36   #3
stuart080973
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE Auto 2000 2.5L V6 British Racing Green

I run the A/C all the time on Auto, My Dad is a Mechanic and he says that if you dont use it you will loose it. and when it come to matters about motor cars i listen. But really roll on the summer as i hate scraping windows in the morning. It may use more fuel, but put that in contrast to the price of a new pump and gas. its cheaper to keep it running.
Old 8th January 2009, 20:45   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart080973 View Post
I run the A/C all the time on Auto
Has it needed a replacement fan at all? The later Mark1s and facelifts have the more robust 2-speed fan system, but running A/C continuously on earlier models will wear out the fan motor in around 50K miles. It's expensive to fix.

I'm not jokin'!
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 20:50   #5
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

Looking at what has been happening with my 75 during this very cold weather, the aircon compressor is not switched on by the climate control controller unless the temperature exceeds about 5 degrees. This is because the system only cools to this temperature, so no cooling is needed at this temperature or below it. Setting to 'Lo' may override this but the system will try to avoid ice on the evaporator, and switch off the compressor
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 20:51   #6
madone
Posted a thing or two

none

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart080973 View Post
I run the A/C all the time on Auto, My Dad is a Mechanic and he says that if you dont use it you will loose it. and when it come to matters about motor cars i listen. But really roll on the summer as i hate scraping windows in the morning. It may use more fuel, but put that in contrast to the price of a new pump and gas. its cheaper to keep it running.
I used mine all the time for the first 50k miles and then me 3 speed fan packed up. Very expensive to replace. Since then I am conscious of using it to maintain lubrication only in colder times and when needed in the summer months. By using the econ button I hope to get at least 100k miles out of this one.
madone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 13:28   #7
shakennstirred
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 ConnSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell View Post
Looking at what has been happening with my 75 during this very cold weather, the aircon compressor is not switched on by the climate control controller unless the temperature exceeds about 5 degrees. This is because the system only cools to this temperature, so no cooling is needed at this temperature or below it. Setting to 'Lo' may override this but the system will try to avoid ice on the evaporator, and switch off the compressor
yeah most car A/C wont run below 5c(outside air temp)
British racing green
Harman kardon stereo upgrade//SYNERGY TUNING MODULE/EGR bypass/intake mod
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
shakennstirred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 13:58   #8
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Ideally I would say run it once a week to keep everthing circulating around the system (R134a - gas and 'pag' oil) The air con works on hot temperature settings as well as cold. I have found that cars that don't have the air con used tend to need re-gassed sooner than ones that don't
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 14:10   #9
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

If you press the demist button this overrides any external or internal temperature settings and will bring the A/C compressor on

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 14:11   #10
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

I run the air con all winter 'cos it keeps me warm