Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th May 2017, 12:23   #1
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Default New MOT/CDTi Exhaust Back Box

Passed again with no advisories! - obviously I cheated a bit by getting them to fix the issues before testing it no significant rust issues though which seems to be becoming more of an issue on people's cars. They've actually done a really good job with the front to rear brake pipe (and did it properly by dropping the fuel tank as well - a job I was dreading) and charged an extremely reasonable price for doing it.

I also bit the bullet and got them to fit an aftermarket back box to the exhaust, mine was literally dropping off and I was a bit reluctant to stump up for a stainless one as I've heard so many mixed reports about them. I had really been dreading this as well - but I am very pleasantly surprised! It's a Euroflow thing which I know will only last a couple of years but I have taken it for a decent drive on A/B roads and a blast down the M6 this morning and it's fine, no rattles or resonance and it isn't noticeably louder than the OE one was - obviously that was rather broken and blowing a little bit but for the price I am very happy with the new one.

I suspect, as with a lot of things, it's who fits it that makes a lot of difference - if you turn up at a tyre and exhaust place with a 15 year old Rover I suspect they set the Apprentice on the job, and the Longlife experience does seem to vary hugely depending on which branch you go to.

Anyway I'll give a namecheck to the garage if it helps anyone (and this is just my experience of them obviously) - PJAuto's in Ashton In Makerfield, Wigan. It's an old school type place so don't expect people running around with laptops or floors you can eat off. The boss can be a bit grumpy but I've used them for years now, if you know what you are talking about they have no problem with you supplying the parts for them to fit, they haven't ever really messed any job up on either mine or my wife's cars and thanks to me they are quite well versed in Rover 75 repairs Colin the MOT tester is a very decent bloke and will actually disappear off into the back to find a bulb or similarly small item if it is the difference between a pass and a fail. They don't have a T4 but for the other stuff you can't be bothered doing yourself.....
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Last edited by mystabe; 4th May 2017 at 12:45..
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 14:47   #2
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Now clean as well - this is a car saved by marinabrian by the way, it was a 'mere' Club SE when I bought it. The ECU packed up 2 months after I bought it due to water damage (how do people know ). Brian fixed the ECU and I won't listen to a bad word said against him because he was awesome both in what he did and said....then the crank pulley 'went' 1000 miles later (again how do people know ) I had some drama's with that too but NOW it is a lovely car to drive

Save
Save

Last edited by mystabe; 4th May 2017 at 15:31..
Old 4th May 2017, 15:15   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Very clean car and does look in good condition. Hate mot time.bit like sitting exams at school. Always glad when he throws the keys to me. I know it has passed then.
Old 4th May 2017, 20:02   #4
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
Passed again with no advisories! - obviously I cheated a bit by getting them to fix the issues before testing it no significant rust issues though which seems to be becoming more of an issue on people's cars. They've actually done a really good job with the front to rear brake pipe (and did it properly by dropping the fuel tank as well - a job I was dreading) and charged an extremely reasonable price for doing it.

I also bit the bullet and got them to fit an aftermarket back box to the exhaust, mine was literally dropping off and I was a bit reluctant to stump up for a stainless one as I've heard so many mixed reports about them. I had really been dreading this as well - but I am very pleasantly surprised! It's a Euroflow thing which I know will only last a couple of years but I have taken it for a decent drive on A/B roads and a blast down the M6 this morning and it's fine, no rattles or resonance and it isn't noticeably louder than the OE one was - obviously that was rather broken and blowing a little bit but for the price I am very happy with the new one.

I suspect, as with a lot of things, it's who fits it that makes a lot of difference - if you turn up at a tyre and exhaust place with a 15 year old Rover I suspect they set the Apprentice on the job, and the Longlife experience does seem to vary hugely depending on which branch you go to.

Anyway I'll give a namecheck to the garage if it helps anyone (and this is just my experience of them obviously) - PJAuto's in Ashton In Makerfield, Wigan. It's an old school type place so don't expect people running around with laptops or floors you can eat off. The boss can be a bit grumpy but I've used them for years now, if you know what you are talking about they have no problem with you supplying the parts for them to fit, they haven't ever really messed any job up on either mine or my wife's cars and thanks to me they are quite well versed in Rover 75 repairs Colin the MOT tester is a very decent bloke and will actually disappear off into the back to find a bulb or similarly small item if it is the difference between a pass and a fail. They don't have a T4 but for the other stuff you can't be bothered doing yourself.....
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Had new copper brake pipes all around, 6 hours labour at £41.00 an hour + vat plus parts, and yes they do have to drop the fuel tank to fit them. Never need doing again.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 20:17   #5
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunty View Post
Had new copper brake pipes all around, 6 hours labour at £41.00 an hour + vat plus parts, and yes they do have to drop the fuel tank to fit them. Never need doing again.
I paid £280 inc VAT for supplying and fitting a new front to rear brake pipe, two new rear brake pipes, an exhaust back box supplied & fitted, the earth sorting out on the washer pump motor and an MOT. I've been under the car on a ramp to be shown what they did as well. I'm obviously quite happy with the price I paid
Save
Old 4th May 2017, 22:14   #6
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunty View Post

Nothing like the rates that garages in the London area charge......
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote