Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th September 2012, 11:40   #11
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

Thanks Singvogel/ Forestgreen,
You have both given a positive reply, as I am going on holiday to mull and it's 520 miles from mine to Oban I shall fill up with V power and see.

mike
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 12:26   #12
Singvogel
Gets stuck in

75 CDT, 1966 2000TC P6, TD4-M47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercat View Post
You have both given a positive reply, as I am going on holiday to mull and it's 520 miles from mine to Oban I shall fill up with V power and see.

mike
Please report back how you get on.

You may have a problem finding V-Power in the Highlands and Islands.

On the East coast of Scotland there are only 2 stations with it north of Aberdeen.

Might be different on the west coast.

They seem to only have it after getting new or upgraded pumps that take 4 different fuels at the same pump. Most of them in Scotland still have only 3 nozzles at each pump position.

Enjoy your trip - the roads and views up there are fantastic.

Singvogel.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 14:31   #13
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default I'll Give It Another Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singvogel View Post

Shell V-Power is undoubtedly the best - for performance and mpg. I try to only use V-Power now. I do my sums very carefully and the apparent saving on supermarket fuel is just not there in the long run.

All the supermarket fuels give less mpg and promote smoke, especially on overtaking. Morrisons is by far the worst for smoke - to the extent it's embarrassing to look in the mirror.

I have tried using Millers to compensate for the supermarkets lack of additives - but it's too expensive and the smell of it gets everywhere.
Tried Shell V-Power a couple of years ago but found any increase in mpg only marginal.
Have used ordinary diesel and usually Millers or Redex since, but last Saturday noticed traffic disappearing behind me on the steeper inclines of the M62. I think I might give V-Power another go and see if I can still create an illusion with 4 lanes of traffic - to rival the best David Copperfield can do - on my next planned trip across the Pennines in November.

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 17:12   #14
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yep I've tried a couple of premium fuels with the same result - a marginal increase in mpg. The rest of the time I've always used the cheapest derv I can find, which is almost always supermarket diesel.

The results of this exhaustive testing of supermarket fuels so far is quite surprising. After 319,000 miles the injectors and HP fuel pump are all original and still running perfectly.

I've never used any cleaners or additives either.

So based on my experience yes there are differences in fuels, but cheap derv doesn't lack any of the additives needed to keep the high pressure side of your fuel system in good working order.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 20:30   #15
r44flyer
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi 135+

I agree that premium fuels are worth it. Personally I use BP Ultimate, as I charge between £200 and £300 per week to a fuel card and collect nectar points. It gets me 2-3mpg more and gives smoother running. It's 5p per litre more than regular.
r44flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 22:56   #16
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes at those prices and mpg figures it does work out cheaper. Unfortunately where I live BP Ultimate is a currently £1.52 a litre and the cheapest local diesel is Murco regular at £1.41 a litre, so it would end up costing me more.

As to smoother running the acid test would be to give Mrs Flyer your credit card and let her fill the car with either regular or premium and for you to guess which one she actually put in the tank.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 13th October 2012 at 06:52..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 09:36   #17
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Well I am afraid that I still dont think that it is worth paying the extra for these fuels
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 21:01   #18
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default The Lady IS a Tramp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercat View Post

mike
Filled up with V-Power and have my first brim to brim result.
Nearly all urban and mainly short journeys. 256 miles from 46.7 litres. which I make to be just under 25 mpg.
That's the worst fuel consumption I've ever recorded in this car, matched only by a tankful used on short journeys when we were getting temperatures down to -20C.
Eliza Doolittle sure likes to guzzle DERV that costs about 10p per litre more than Asda regular a mile down the road.
On the plus side, she's definitely a little quieter and smoother whilst she's quaffing at tickover and I've not noticed any smoke when I've put the engine under load.
I'm going to stick with it for a few weeks, until I've tried those gradients on the M62 again.

What were your results like, Mike? (thundercat)

355188 of 355194

Last edited by Frank Incensed; 13th October 2012 at 05:29.. Reason: clarification
Old 12th October 2012, 22:46   #19
jondonwar
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon connoisseur se cdti

Hi ,i just like to add that cheap supermarket fuel does not do the injectors any good or the rest of the fuel system as they cut down on the protective additives ,and with the cost of injectors to replace its not worth using cheap supermarket deisel,i live faceing a supermaket fuel station yet i wont use it with the 75 cdti ,this is what iv been told by someone who is a tanker driver delivering the stuff.

Last edited by jondonwar; 12th October 2012 at 22:50..
jondonwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 05:27   #20
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default The Proof of the Pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondonwar View Post
Hi ,i just like to add that cheap supermarket fuel does not do the injectors any good or the rest of the fuel system ...........
This is totally contrary to Mike Noc's experience with supermarket diesel, over 320,000 miles of motoring. See his post of 18 September just above.
I've no doubt savings are made with the fuel, somewhere in it's production or distribution, but they don't appear to be of detriment to Mike's vehicle(s).

355188 of 355194