Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th November 2012, 18:43   #1
gerrywatson

rover 75cdt

Default handbrake compensator

hi instead of using the compensator,if you make a sleeve 20mm long, 12mm dia, bored through 9mm.Remove nut and fixed washer fit sleeve and refit nut and washer, re adjust handbrake until wheels lock on three clicks.Spacer takes up slack caused by stretched compensator.Imade sleeve out of stainless steel bar.flew through mot tester said best handbrake he had seen on a 75.Ten minute fix and you do not have to disturb carpet.
Regards Gerry
gerrywatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 18:46   #2
t140pete
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon, 75 Tourer

The compensator will still stretch and ultimately something will give I reckon.

I sleeved mine until I fitted the modded compensator
t140pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 19:04   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrywatson View Post
hi instead of using the compensator,if you make a sleeve 20mm long, 12mm dia, bored through 9mm.Remove nut and fixed washer fit sleeve and refit nut and washer, re adjust handbrake until wheels lock on three clicks.Spacer takes up slack caused by stretched compensator.Imade sleeve out of stainless steel bar.flew through mot tester said best handbrake he had seen on a 75.Ten minute fix and you do not have to disturb carpet.
Regards Gerry
The problem is, that it will continue to stretch and will ultimately give way. The more it stretches, the more chance there is of it giving way completely. A modified compensator solves the problem completely and safely - why risk it for £5?.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 19:46   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Instead of using the compensator, if you make a sleeve 20mm long, 12mm dia, bored through 9mm. Remove nut and fixed washer, fit sleeve and refit nut and washer, re-adjust handbrake until wheels lock on three clicks. Spacer takes up slack caused by stretched compensator. I made sleeve out of stainless steel bar. Flew through mot tester said best handbrake he had seen on a 75. Ten minute fix and you do not have to disturb carpet.
Your gizmo won't comply with the 25mm max thread protrusion at the handbrake lever will it?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 19:49   #5
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Regards Gerry
This is a stop gap method, you don't even need to manufacture a spacer, a bit of 15mm copper tube 15mm long will do to get a car through a MOT but the compensator will need changing as it continues to stretch.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 20:00   #6
CimmaronG
Gets stuck in

Roverless at present :-(

With all the hassle, just fit a compensator
Left the production line 08:07:14hrs on 01/07/2004

'Best to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it'
CimmaronG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 20:34   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover54 View Post
This is a stop gap method, you don't even need to manufacture a spacer, a bit of 15mm copper tube 15mm long will do to get a car through a MOT but the compensator will need changing as it continues to stretch.
Which is what I initially tried to use - copper just crushes, it will need to be steel.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 22:00   #8
jondonwar
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon connoisseur se cdti

Smile

Hi
i just fitted artics handbrake mod and iv got it holing on 1 click and locked solid on 2 clicks. regards jondonwar
jondonwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 02:45   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Regards Gerry
HI Gerry.
With all respects to you and your quick fix handbrake mod to get you through the MOT job is ok but why and please do not take chances with the brakes on your car its just not worth it at all in my opinion.

I have seen even thing from a washer then a rubber washer then another washer used to make up the gap on the adjuster nut, pipe, big nuts, rows of washers but all will just do the same stretch the mild steel compensator more until you will have no more thead left and i should imagine this would not take long after the compensator as already been stretched 12mm or over i will give your handbrake 3 months and i bet it will need the tube changing.

I suppose the moral of the story is fix once fix the best and right compensator for the job simples.Arctic.

PS the last pics shows the compensator from a new one and different stages of stretch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10828.jpg (115.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10829.jpg (118.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10931.jpg (113.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg SDC16499.jpg (116.0 KB, 61 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 26th November 2012 at 02:48..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 18:42   #10
gerrywatson

rover 75cdt

hi my stainless steel spacer will not crush like copper tube,could some body please explain the 25 mm rule to me as i can only see one problem with this rule that is if the the nylock nut becomes seized on the thread by somebody overtightening it. the sleeve i have used only makes the tobe part of the hand brake lever longer allowing the single front cable to be adjusted further through the lever ,looking at all the photos of original compensators the bit that streches does not look a lot thinner than a new one.how many cases of the compenstor breaking have been reported i have not heard of any ,was ther an official recal for this problem,if the hand brake is correctly adjusted you should not have to pull on the lever like a gorilla to make it work .on mine know i only need to use the minimum of effort to lock the back wheels at 3 clicks cant see it stretching it any more
regards gerry.
gerrywatson is offline   Reply With Quote