Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th July 2014, 13:15   #21
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybel View Post
That is a huge milage to expect from a 10 year old 75, so you would need a lot of luck to find the right car, if you were not to spend your days going through the technical section while waiting for recovery.
What wasn't made clear was is that a daily commute of 700 miles or more likely a weekly commute - weekly is not a lot of miles, daily seems very unlikely.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 13:18   #22
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I recently bought a 03 2.0 Dti Vauxhall Zaffira as a 3rd car when my folks go out with us. It was cheap (£1350), accident free, badly maintained and filthy.

After a few very good cleans, a front springs, rear shocks, rear exhaust, engine mounts, both drive shafts and a full service all for £300 for parts, it is quite a good vehicle. Parts are cheap and available.
I get 45MPG it rattles and corners like a Vauxhall and has enough power 6 up. As long as the EGR is kept clean they seem reliable and a good commuter.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 13:47   #23
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
I recently bought a 03 2.0 Dti Vauxhall Zaffira as a 3rd car when my folks go out with us. It was cheap (£1350), accident free, badly maintained and filthy.

After a few very good cleans, a front springs, rear shocks, rear exhaust, engine mounts, both drive shafts and a full service all for £300 for parts, it is quite a good vehicle. Parts are cheap and available.
I get 45MPG it rattles and corners like a Vauxhall and has enough power 6 up. As long as the EGR is kept clean they seem reliable and a good commuter.
So thats what's been parked next to 75 in your drive.
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 14:20   #24
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.h View Post
So thats what's been parked next to 75 in your drive.
Finally got rid of the Kia that was there, and would not recommend that
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 15:34   #25
JoeyTaffy93
Loves to post

'01 Rover 25 1.4 iL

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard680 View Post
Re: the Mondeo; after a chat with a family friend, I wouldn't; he was fixing his in a car park and said it had been nothing but trouble; injectors; electrical faults etc. He was trying to find the cause of headlamps working on full beam only at the time...
Completely with you, my uncle used to have a 55 plate 2.0 TDCi, injectors, electrical faults, then it's head gasket went. It had full Ford service history too.

We've had a few Fords now in the family and no one will buy one again. Most have moved on to BMW, Hyundai, etc. All of which are far superior products.

My parents used to have a Mondeo and a Fiesta, I gave my mum a ZR 120 to replace the Mondeo (which she said was the worse car she owned) and my dad had my ZT turbo to replace the Fiesta which was again nothing but a trouble maker.
JoeyTaffy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 16:55   #26
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

You could buyan early well spec'd 75 tourer auto for that money and have loads of change.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ht=tourer+auto

Withdrawn from sale but a good example!
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 18:26   #27
tareim
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT+ 160 v6

just look at the long list of bad points for the mazda 6

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar.../?section=good
tareim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 19:07   #28
FREDPLY
Avid contributor

club touring

Default R75 touring experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyp View Post
My family and I will soon be moving from Lincolnshire to Devon....., but for 6 months I will have to commute between the two.
As my wife will be using our new car in Devon, I will need a reliable diesel estate .
Automatic with cruise control for the average speed cameras, comfortable and totally reliable.
And to make the hunt harder I only have £1500 to spend.

I would really like a 75 but would this be the best car for the job?

What would you buy to do the job....LPG or Diesel....

The other estates I am considering are: Toyota corolla D4D
Honda accord CDTI

Skoda Octavia TDI
Mechanical condition will be the priority as the Devon hedges take no prisoners....
Well I can only tell you of my own experience until recently I owned a Mondeo 18td on an x plate the last of the mark 2 had it for 6 years paid 500 sold for 300 with 200,000miles on the clock. This is when I got my 02 cdt touring given to me long story but in short the owner had been told he needed 4 new injectors by his garage since the car would run all day long then switch off and try to restart and nothing! Until it cooled down, yes it was a cam sensor at 42.60 nothing wrong with injectors!!!! however he had bought a new car by the time I told him - In short he gave me the Rover. I have sorted the fault fully serviced the car all filters and fluids pcv mod drop links new discs and pads all round intercooler seals changed and finally a 160 re map - If you want reliability comfort and stax of room combined with great all round delivery of power this is the car I am so impressed having done various types of driving on the last tank of fuel(millers added) and this included the abusing the 160 remap I managed 497.6 miles before adding 53 ltrs of fuel - I love it
FREDPLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 19:08   #29
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Is this 700 miles a day 5 days a week for 6 months......? I'm not sure that's physically/mentally possible tbh never mind the car
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 19:32   #30
markyp
Gets stuck in

MG ZT CDTI+ X-power 135

Thanks for all the advice..... Sorry for being unclear on the mileage Harry, I will be working a 4on 4off shift pattern in Lincolnshire and then driving back to Devon on my days off.
And with a lot of running about in Devon with a car full of stuff, Hence the need for an estate.

I know it is difficult to find a very well maintained 75 tourer with scratches at every corner......but they are about.

This is not going to be my pride and joy car as it will have to be worked hard, although I do look after my cars and improve them.

I will be taking out breakdown cover for the first time,,,,just in case.

I miss my last ZT so it will be nice to get behind the wheel of a 75 again, even if will not be my pride and joy.
Now I need to decide if I get a LPG or Diesel?.....But with my budget this will be fun......