Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th October 2017, 15:48   #1
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Default Sunroof blind sticking

My sunroof opens perfectly normally but on closure drags the blind with it, when I try to open the blind it will not budge, but it travels freely back and forth with the sunroof. I would be most gratefull for any advice.
Westonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 18:19   #2
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

It could possibly be one or more of the sunshade support clips has broken, possibly part of the broken clip is fouling the mechanism, causing the problem you are having.
The clips breaking is a known issue but is a reasonably simple fix, it might be worthwhile removing the sunroof glass (a simple procedure, just three screws each side hold the glass in place) so you can examine the sunshade clips better than trying to look through the glass.
There is a very good video on youtube which shows how to repair the sunshade and remove the glass - it actually shows a BMW unit but it's the same as the Rover one:
https://youtu.be/_XlTqpxUJgs
I wouldn't keep operating the roof until you have identified the faults as it is possible the the sunroof mechanism could jam, causing the drive motor to burn out (and no, it won't blow the fuse first!).
Replacement clips are available from Ebay, but just be aware that there are two types, the only difference is the cross centres of the fixing holes in the clips, one type fitted are 15mm and the other are 21mm (from memory),

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built

Last edited by stevenkeyte; 12th October 2017 at 18:21.. Reason: spelling correction
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 18:52   #3
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Thank you for your invaluable help, I dont use the sunroof ever, I just used to slide the blind back and enjoy the extra light. I am still a bit puzzled why the blind slides freely when the sunroof opens or shuts but cant be moved manually.
Old 12th October 2017, 19:15   #4
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonboy View Post
Thank you for your invaluable help, I dont use the sunroof ever, I just used to slide the blind back and enjoy the extra light. I am still a bit puzzled why the blind slides freely when the sunroof opens or shuts but cant be moved manually.
It could be that the sunshade clips have broken and the shade is jammed against the glass by some of the broken parts of the clips, moving the glass forces the sunshade to move, i.e it is dragged by the moving glass. The problem is that at some point the broken pieces of clip (if they have indeed failed) could jam the sunroof whilst it is travelling, possibly leading to a burnt out motor.
The sunshade, when everything is working correctly, is driven by a lug on the sunroof mechanism engaging in the rearmost clip on the passenger side of the car, moving the glass to the rear drags the sunshade with it, if the sunshade closes when the sunroof is closed is an indication that something is jamming the sunshade against the sunroof, hence you not being able to manually operate the sunshade

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
Old 12th October 2017, 19:25   #5
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Thanks Steve, I will leave well alone and hopefully get Jules to look at it on the next service.
Old 12th October 2017, 19:35   #6
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonboy View Post
Thanks Steve, I will leave well alone and hopefully get Jules to look at it on the next service.
Yes, I wouldn't chance keep operating it! The normal mode of operation is that the sunshade is free to slide fore and aft but if the shade is closed when the glazed sunroof is powered open, then the lug on the mechanism engages with the the clip on the sunshade and drags it open, however, powering the glazed sunroof closed doesn't drive the sunshade closed, as the clip / lug set-up only operates in the opening cycle of operation, therefore, if your sunshade closes when the glazed sunroof is powered closed, then there is something wrong with the unit - my money is on a broken clip jamming the sunshade against the glazed sunroof,

Steve

Old 8th February 2018, 15:34   #7
vilas66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, CDTi Tourer, Saloon

I am reviving this thread as I have the same problem.
The question is: how to remove the sunroof glass if the blind doesn't slide back with the glass closed ?
Thank You
Old 8th February 2018, 15:42   #8
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilas66 View Post
I am reviving this thread as I have the same problem.
The question is: how to remove the sunroof glass if the blind doesn't slide back with the glass closed ?
Thank You
Your best bet is to be a little bit rough & force the blind back, or alternatively pull it down into the car. If you ruin the blind you'll be able to pick another one up fairly easily.
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote