Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th April 2018, 12:29   #1
Luckygrandads75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Battery again help please

Hi hope someone can advise.I'm about to fit my third battery in four years to my 51 reg 1.8.I only do about 2-3 hundred miles a year and only short twenty minute trips so was bound to happen.

I've got no clicking this time,it's completely dead and can only get in by manually opening the drivers door lock.I'm a bit scared of the alarm going off though because when I attached the negative earth to the engine block the alarm kept sounding off until the jump lead was fully connected.

When I fit the new battery if the alarm goes off do I just open and close the doors on the remote to stop the alarm which worked last time?I had an old Granada once and had a nightmare with the alarms on it so a bit nervous

Still seeing loads of 75's round surrey so all good
Luckygrandads75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 15:08   #2
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckygrandads75 View Post
Hi hope someone can advise.I'm about to fit my third battery in four years to my 51 reg 1.8.I only do about 2-3 hundred miles a year and only short twenty minute trips so was bound to happen.

I've got no clicking this time,it's completely dead and can only get in by manually opening the drivers door lock.I'm a bit scared of the alarm going off though because when I attached the negative earth to the engine block the alarm kept sounding off until the jump lead was fully connected.

When I fit the new battery if the alarm goes off do I just open and close the doors on the remote to stop the alarm which worked last time?I had an old Granada once and had a nightmare with the alarms on it so a bit nervous

Still seeing loads of 75's round surrey so all good
Hi there,

I think you would probably save a fortune in batteries if you buy a battery maintainer (it is like a smart trickle charger) fit a pigtail to your battery in the car and keep it plugged in when parked. You should be able to get a top quality one for $50-75.

Maybe I read it wrong, but the ground (earth) should be the LAST connection made when doing a jump start.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 15:24   #3
m2n
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2004 Contemporary SE 2.5 Auto

Default Motorway run

I do a lot of just local run-a-rounds too, it doesn't give the battery time for a decent charge, so what I do at least once a week is get onto the motorway go up(or down) two junctions and back this gives the battery a good charge. I've always done this with every car I've had. I have just done a 260 mile round trip which gives the battery a good charge. But next week I will still give my R75 a motorway trek.......
She was the: 103,715th 75 to run off production line, out of 112,381
She was the: 382nd 75 2.5 V6 Contemporary SE to be made out of 686
She was the: 1,415th 75 in Firefrost Red (code CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75's
m2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 15:25   #4
Luckygrandads75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks Slovcan

Yes have been attaching negative lead(earth) last to 75 metal part of engine because get sparks and alarm horn when attach to silver engine block.Sorry hope makes sense.Thanks

Last edited by Luckygrandads75; 16th April 2018 at 15:33..
Luckygrandads75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 19:40   #5
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

If you have a garage, you can put a 100 watt solar panel on the roof. Put a controller in the garage and connect up when you put the car away.
I do this every winter as I don't use the car much.
If you don't have a garage just put the panel in the car.
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 19:49   #6
jondonwar
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon connoisseur se cdti

Default flat battery

buy a solar 4.5 watt panel that attaches to your sun visor and plugs into your cigarette lighter socket and will keep your car battery charged, this what i did and now i dont have a problem starting the car,i only use my car once week,but this solar charger only cost about £14 from ebay. regards john
jondonwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 21:02   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Sorry, but I will disagree with all of these schemes to leave a battery permanently on charge - it is a great way to quickly wreck a battery. The usual maintenance charge of these gadgets is 13.8v - which is a little high to be left permanently on charge- it causes some gasing. Better/safer is 13.5v.

The best way is to bring a battery up to a full charge once per month, assuming there is no real discharge.

For longer term none use of the car, disconnect the battery from the car, but still charge once per month.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 23:55   #8
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Sorry, but I will disagree with all of these schemes to leave a battery permanently on charge - it is a great way to quickly wreck a battery. The usual maintenance charge of these gadgets is 13.8v - which is a little high to be left permanently on charge- it causes some gasing. Better/safer is 13.5v.

The best way is to bring a battery up to a full charge once per month, assuming there is no real discharge.

For longer term none use of the car, disconnect the battery from the car, but still charge once per month.
I suggested a maintainer. This is a smarter device that maintains the charge at 13.5V (at least mine does). It will also exercise the battery occasionally which helps ensure against a shortened battery life. This is way different to leaving it on charge - even a low output solar charger.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2018, 07:20   #9
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I'm in the "maintenance charger" camp.

Many of us who have/had motorbikes use them all the time.

Have a look here:

https://www.ctek.com

or here:

https://www.optimate.co.uk/products?tag=12V%20Chargers

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2018, 09:17   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
I'm in the "maintenance charger" camp.

Many of us who have/had motorbikes use them all the time.

Have a look here:

https://www.ctek.com

or here:

https://www.optimate.co.uk/products?tag=12V%20Chargers

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andy.
The Optimate cost me two replacement batteries - if mains is lost, they then begin discharging the battery. Left for a day or two with no mains supply (easy if you don't check often), you end up with a ruined battery. Some swear by them, some swear at them. Optimate didn't want to know, when I complained about the poor design. The Optimate is also of a design which just chucks out 13.8v regardless and as I have already said, it is a good way to greatly reduce the life of a battery feeding it a constant diet of 13.8v. Better to use it as a once a month top up charger, if you must use one. Motorcyclists tend to replace their batteries often, so the Optimate's issues might be less than obvious. There is nothing clever or special about them, just a dumb low current charger with lights - mine went in the bin.

Ctek I think is the type where you need to press a button to start the charge - much better, they cannot discharge a battery if left connected with no mains supply.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 17th April 2018 at 09:24..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote