Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th December 2016, 20:59   #11
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I used to have an extensive system in both my house and factory for both break-ins and early warning systems. If someone wants to break-in, they will.

The important part is to deter them and provide an early warning system for yourself/occupants. As above, good locks and common sense first. Next is early warning around and outside the property.
Lighting is cheap, easy and effective-LED floodlights are cheaper to run and the bulbs last longer.
Passive beams on the property perimeter work really well, a wireless system even better-make sure they are pet friendly.

CCTV is good, infra red very important. I used and still have somewhere, a system that I had connected to my router and was able to view on a phone. Useful for times when you are not there or to check on pets or the elderly. Recording the footage helps to possibly retrieve your lost items.

As already said, a dummy look-a-like works-you just need to make the neighbours shed more attractive than yours.

I also had a GSM (sim card) based system that allowed me to get feedback and control the system from a phone as well. It will tell you where and when which sector is triggered in real time, night or day.

Having lived like this for 30 odd years, with the biggest deterrent myself and a trusty 9mm, I do not miss having ( read needing) anything other than the basics and common sense nowadays. Long shall it last.

Craig.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2016, 21:15   #12
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
If someone wants to break-in, they will.

As already said, a dummy look-a-like works-you just need to make the neighbours shed more attractive than yours.
Craig.
These are both valid points, if someone wants into your house then they will get in but I doubt that is the issue here, and as has been said, securing your property moves the opportunist along the street.
You need to take obvious steps in securing the shed properly with a nice big battleship or obvious signs of it being hard to break into. The reason for this is that very often this type of thief will give you a couple of months to replace your mower and then come back for the new one.

Nige

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2016, 21:57   #13
mbrenn
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloons Conn SE 2.0L V6 (2001) & Conn 2.0L CDTi (2003)

I installed a Guardcam (PIR activated floodlight, camera records on SD card, audio security alert), £99. Simple and effective.
mbrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 15:40   #14
OliverTailor
Spammer. Banned.

Rover 75 Saloo

After doing countless research, it still seems that the best way to prevent a break in is to make it really difficult for them to get in in the first place. The alarm system is for after they have broken in and from what we are getting from our "research", most police don't even respond right away as it's not their first priority. BTW the spam links I inserted into my forums posts have been removed and I am now banned.

Last edited by OliverTailor; 22nd February 2019 at 10:03..
OliverTailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 18:48   #15
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Dog... as suggested... or Gravel... they hate the noise gravel makes
Gravel - really good stuff - we can hear someone walk on our drive in the quiet of the night easily.

If it’s possible and practical - take up solid paths and lay gravel.

But do take note that gravel is not the easiest or most “friendly” surface for elderly feet.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 20:16   #16
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

What about a cat?

Would a tiger be effective?

Last edited by VVC-Geeza; 21st February 2019 at 21:04..
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 21:39   #17
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

I thought a dog would have done the trick tbh, unless the robbers were particularly silent in operation and the dog was soundo'. My two bark at each others F**ts! which is a good and bad thing really, good as it's an early warning system and bad as it gets on my nerves at 2 in the morning. lol. Also ... I have a few 'well placed' stickers around my property reading .... protected by ' BROWNING'
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 21:43   #18
spyder
This is my second home

I fitted one of these to my garages and electric gates. We have sensors in the house as well but only switch the outside (perimeter) ones on when at home. I can turn it off and on via my phone and it will alert me as to which sensor was activated. 1/2 hour to set up using a screwdriver and double sided tape.

That and CCTV on my phone works well, although we have never needed it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Secur...frcectupt=true
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
Old 21st February 2019, 21:46   #19
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverTailor View Post
After doing countless research, it still seems that the best way to prevent a break in is to make it really difficult for them to get in in the first place. So, we are thinking of installing security Grille all over our ground floor windows instead of getting an alarm system. The alarm system is for after they have broken in and from what we are getting from our "research", most police don't even respond right away as it's not their first priority.
Google the 'early warning' window / glass alarm systems, we have them on our ground floor windows etc:
Absolutely brilliant bits of kit, they just stick to the inside of the glass (about the size of a beer mat) and just as thin. they are vibration sensitive and you can turn them on or off individually at the flick of a tiny switch.
They are rated at about 120 db so will wake the dead.
I think we paid £20 for four off of e'bay.
Might be what you need for security and peace of mind.

Forgot to mention the make...... Google ' DOBERMAN' window alarms.

Last edited by gadget1960; 21st February 2019 at 21:50.. Reason: info.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2019, 21:50   #20
spyder
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
Google the 'early warning' window / glass alarm systems, we have them on our ground floor windows etc:
Absolutely brilliant bits of kit, they just stick to the inside of the glass (about the size of a beer mat) and just as thin. they are vibration sensitive and you can turn them on or off individually at the flick of a tiny switch.
They are rated at about 120 db so will wake the dead.
I think we paid £20 for four off of e'bay.
Might be what you need for security and peace of mind.
Outdoor perimeter sensors work even better as advanced warning, dog friendly ones available. Outdoor motion sensor lights work as well. Many are solar powered so can be mounted anywhere. Putting a buzzer in place of the globe is also effective. I lived with bars on our windows for many years and never want to feel the need for them again.