Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd February 2019, 16:47   #1
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Default Well ... that took me by surprise!

I had just finished work and was getting into my 75 cdt in the company car park when I heard a really loud car horn, as I looked up to see what was going on, a jet black Porsche Panamera was parked in front of me with the driver half hanging out of the window!
I got out of my car and asked him 'was you tooting at me'? he said 'yes mate .... really nice car that, you don't see many of those around especially in that condition'.
I said 'thanks... much appreciated' and I like your Panamera too.
After he drove off it suddenly dawned on me he just 'may' have been having a laugh at my expense as 90% of the cars in the car park are north of £40,000. or perhaps he was being genuine and actually liked my 75!? who knows.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:54   #2
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

R75 1.8 Con SE Man Saloon

I think he was genuine. I am forever meeting people who used to own a 75 or know them and are positive about them. Our cars are getting rarer than Porsches these days, so yes part of it is nostalgia.
Old 22nd February 2019, 17:39   #3
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
I had just finished work and was getting into my 75 cdt in the company car park when I heard a really loud car horn, as I looked up to see what was going on, a jet black Porsche Panamera was parked in front of me with the driver half hanging out of the window!
I got out of my car and asked him 'was you tooting at me'? he said 'yes mate .... really nice car that, you don't see many of those around especially in that condition'.
I said 'thanks... much appreciated' and I like your Panamera too.
After he drove off it suddenly dawned on me he just 'may' have been having a laugh at my expense as 90% of the cars in the car park are north of £40,000. or perhaps he was being genuine and actually liked my 75!? who knows.
I wouldn't be too concerned about it anyone driving a PP must be compensating for something, a truly hideous car.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 19:18   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned about it anyone driving a PP must be compensating for something, a truly hideous car.
or compromising when because his wife didnt keep her legs shut?

but I agree, they are a hideous looking car, the joys of being ovine. But hey, it's not mine lol

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 23:40   #5
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
or compromising when because his wife didnt keep her legs shut?

but I agree, they are a hideous looking car, the joys of being ovine. But hey, it's not mine lol
Hmmmm, here I go being strange again. I love them and if I won a lottery I'd have one in a heartbeat - a turbo V8, thank you. Then again, I also loved the F4 Phantom - the one nicknamed "Big Ugly" and, also the Honda V65 Sabre (VF1100S) of which I've had two and nicknamed them "Big Ugly".

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 00:51   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
Hmmmm, here I go being strange again. I love them and if I won a lottery I'd have one in a heartbeat - a turbo V8, thank you. Then again, I also loved the F4 Phantom - the one nicknamed "Big Ugly" and, also the Honda V65 Sabre (VF1100S) of which I've had two and nicknamed them "Big Ugly".

Cheers,
Glenn
lol, we are all different, if I won the lottery, I would have a series 1 Toyota Carina II, in 3E4 (garnet), and a cream and burgundy interior.

Old 23rd February 2019, 07:38   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
lol, we are all different, if I won the lottery, I would have a series 1 Toyota Carina II, in 3E4 (garnet), and a cream and burgundy interior.

I would have a Toyota if I lost everything!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:32   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I would have a Toyota if I lost everything!
If I had a choice of any car in the every produced, and could only have one, it would be that one, and I would become the richest man in the world. You see, some things carry more value to individuals than just fancy leather, plastic and metal. That car was the one my late grandfather taught me to drive in, trusting me to drive it at 15, and trusted me to learn how to maintain it as a life lesson. All the while knowing I could wreck his pride and joy at any time, but still having faith in me to put it right should it go wrong.

Old 23rd February 2019, 11:37   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
If I had a choice of any car in the every produced, and could only have one, it would be that one, and I would become the richest man in the world. You see, some things carry more value to individuals than just fancy leather, plastic and metal. That car was the one my late grandfather taught me to drive in, trusting me to drive it at 15, and trusted me to learn how to maintain it as a life lesson. All the while knowing I could wreck his pride and joy at any time, but still having faith in me to put it right should it go wrong.

On that basis, mine would be an Austin Princess 2200HL. I learned to drive in my late father's car. A nice, smooth, transverse mounted straight 6.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 13:31   #10
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
I would love someone to explain how driving a particular type or make of car is compensating for something.
Unless its based on the assumption that those that drive cars that others cant afford are physically inferior in some way.

Grow up.