Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th February 2019, 17:35   #11
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I had a similar situation a few years ago, my 75 had been off the road for a while (didn't need it, had access to transport) and I went to recommission it. I spoke to the garage I bought it from and I got a sharp intake of breath, their advice was to put it on the road then trade it in, presumably for one of the French/Italian shopping trolleys on their forecourt. Never been back.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 17:49   #12
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Sounds like you have met up with another ‘OMG, what have you got one of those for’ merchants. Keep as far away as you can from them. Mickyboy will se you ok. As will others on here. Sounds like you have a nice low mileage car there. Look after it and don’t believe everything you hear about Rover 75/MGZT cars.
Old 24th February 2019, 19:35   #13
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

My god....any garage that has concerns about changing the rear shocks on a 75 should be shut down !!! It's only two bolts and four nuts - the bolts can be very tight, but a breaker bar and plenty of Weetabix will see them sorted
Not too sure how they can mess up a water leak though ?
But no one owner, 42k car needs to be deemed dead....get onto Mickeyboy as others have said, I've bought spares from him before and his prices & service were excellent.
Good luck with sorting it and hope you can find a decent garage soon !
Old 24th February 2019, 19:48   #14
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Sounds very much like scare tactics to me, I would give the cowboys a wide birth.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 20:05   #15
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Some garages seem to think if they cant plug it in and fix it that it is to old to bother with.

I recently had a Sierra dropped off that a garage reckoned was '' not worth fixing'' . £137 and it had a new MOT and was off for another year. Some of these modern mechanics seem to be lost on older cars.

I do wonder how much stuff is being scrapped for no reason other that a bit of knowledge?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 20:23   #16
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Some garages seem to think if they cant plug it in and fix it that it is to old to bother with.
Mate of mine was a mechanic, just retired. He said the number of young "mechanics" who have no idea if they can't plug something in that tells them what's wrong is frightening.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 20:25   #17
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

I recently had a Sierra dropped off that a garage reckoned was '' not worth fixing'' . £137 and it had a new MOT and was off for another year. Some of these modern mechanics seem to be lost on older cars.

I do wonder how much stuff is being scrapped for no reason other that a bit of knowledge?
they're not called mechanics, but technicians at a dealers, and for obvious reasons lol

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 20:31   #18
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKVP View Post
My 75 recently failed it's MOT test and although the garage stated that they could potentially revive my vehicle by replacing the rear shocks and curing a water leak, they were pessimistic and warned me that if something should break whilst they were fixing the car it would then render it dead.

If it failed on rear shocks then just find somewhere trustworthy and competetent to replace the rear shocks. If there's a water leak, coolant? then get a somewhere competent to replace the leaking part. Obviously this bunch of cowboys isn't the competent or trustworthy workshop you are looking for. Ignore them and move on.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 20:49   #19
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I would say that the garage is performing professional risk management by making the owner aware of potential consequences of starting a job on a 14+ year old car. If a bolt or something should break, it would add time to complete the job and they should not be held responsible. The extra work could make the viability of the work and the car questionable in the owner's eyes..

Better to make the owner aware up front than to argue about liability after the event.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2019, 21:14   #20
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Did the rear shocks myself. It’s not difficult and the springs stay in situ. An apprentice can change them on a 75 and I’m not even trained so a garage spinning you a tale is one to be avoided.