Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th February 2019, 19:14   #1
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Default Uncertain future (a personal rant)

So I had a test relating to my job (driving instructor) today and failed miserably, I get another chance at it but this comes off the back of thoughts I've been having a while in regarding my job. To cut a long story short I've not been happy as an instructor for some time, I've tried various things to improve it but in the end I realise this job has had a detrimental effect on my life both physically and mentally.

I've always put in my best effort into the job and I have the results to prove it, my 1st time pass rate is way above the national average yet I cannot translate that into passing a check test.

So where does this leave me? Well I could double down my efforts to pass my next attempt but my heart isn't in it, I'm now looking at apprenticeships in vehicle mechanics or IT support (something I have history in), this would be a struggle for a year financially as the pay is famously low but at least I'd have a career/trade after.

Naturally this reduction in pay would also jeopardise my ownership on my ZT which is something I'd rather not so as I've become somewhat attached to it, but it's definitely something that has to go if things get too tight.

Sorry for the personal rant
Old 26th February 2019, 19:28   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Go with whatever makes you happy. Life’s too short for stress.
Old 26th February 2019, 20:03   #3
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Knuckle down , pass the test then take your time looking for the right direction.
You will probably feel better just knowing that a change is round the corner.

Stan
Old 26th February 2019, 20:43   #4
jonno12
Posted a thing or two

rover75 saloon connie

i'm with trikey here. if your hearts not in it. it's a long road ahead, think what really would make you happy, and go for it.
jonno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2019, 20:50   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

when I see people write stuff like this "Naturally this reduction in pay would also jeopardise my ownership on my ZT which is something I'd rather not so as I've become somewhat attached to it, but it's definitely something that has to go if things get too tight" it kind of saddens me that people and I do not mean to cause any offence, are so financially at risk.

As for the job, I cant give advice but this is my experience.
I "retired" a bit over a year ago. I now have a little part time job that pays minimum wage, a fraction of what I was on and this is only when I can get work but and this is important...... I'm happier, less frustrated, less stressed and less cheesed off.

Some weeks I don't try to work.

money is not everything, the large amount you earn, is just something to brag about.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2019, 20:57   #6
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

The last thing you should do is make a decision from a bad place. Those decisions are nearly always the wrong ones because you are not in a position of strength and confidence. Consolidate present conditions, return to form and take time to look around. You might know what the examiner/authority was not happy about so study that area with the mind set of determination. Sometimes a setback can be a blessing in disguise. Good luck.
Old 26th February 2019, 21:36   #7
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

From what you have written you are a very good instructor, able to get a majority of learner drivers to pass a test first time. There is no reason that you could not pass the instructor test and from a secure financial position assess your plans for your future employment.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2019, 21:47   #8
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

I have a very good friend who is a driving instructor, he has been in the same job for about 23 years, it's served him very well in the past but about 18 months ago he told me his heart wasn't in it any more and was thinking of changing tac purely to reduce the amount of stress it causes him and pursue something along the lines of psv or whatever.
After a lot of thought he came to a bit of a compromise by teaching ONLY in automatic, he is now a 'happy bunny' again, his books are full and he's earning more than he ever did! (which is a bonus).
In his own words .... 'it's like I've just passed the examiners test for the first time'! a renewed vigour.
I have been a butcher for 40 years and last year I gave it up ( early starts, late evenings, and very heavy manual work) to pursue a career in dual fuel smart metering, went to college, studied hard, got my diplomer / gas safe card, went out on the tools and ... hated every minute of it and so went back into butchery, it's what I know best and perhaps all I needed was a break from butchery as now I'm loving it all over again (although I leave the heavy lifting to the younger lads lol)
So ... maybe a change in tac rather than a jump ship approach is what you need.??
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2019, 10:53   #9
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Thanks for the advice. I already teach automatic so that's not the issue.

Failing the test has given me the push I need to get out of the job, there are many issues facing instructors. I was at the test centre this morning (my student passed) and I was just chatting as you do with other instructors and one of them told me about a fairly well known instructor who is unable to get insured after having too many non fault accidents, I've heard about this before but sadly the driving instructor insurers have us by the balls, there's only a handful that do it and now this poor dude is looking like he is out of work all because other rubbish drivers keep crashing into him usually because joe public is too stupid to realise that a learner in front might not go at a roundabout. I can't remember the exact statistic but 75% of instructors are in accidents every year and 98% are non fault.

I had two accidents in one year, one wrote off my car, to think at any point that someone else can force me to lose my job through no fault of my own is just one of many issues facing instructors.
Old 27th February 2019, 21:52   #10
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

That would be a shame Jack, for you to quit, you are certainly a VERY good instructor. My daughter had been learning on and off for over a year, on a manual car, but felt she wasn't making progress. After just a couple of lessons with you, she gained alot more confidence, and as such passed first time after just a few weeks. My son turns 17 next year, and is happy to just drive an auto, so I would have been contacting you, when the time came for him to start learning.
I can empathize with you about your heart not being in it, I have been in my job 30 years,and have had enough now, hence starting the carpet cleaning. However it provides me with a regular, reasonable income,so can't give it up just yet.
Get your assessment passed, and then look for something else, you could always train to do something else, and still keep your driving tuition as a top up for your training.Best of luck whatever you decide.