Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th March 2019, 18:03   #31
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
What is now possible today, was once thought impossible yesterday... I believe cars have become bigger due to safety reasons, technology has evolved and expanded so much, that design is no longer based on looks, everything is focused on safety now. Its all a case of mass production 24/7 using robots and computers producing identical parts for identical cars.

Lifestyle plays a big part in what people want from their vehicle, and with the ever increasing population becoming unhealthy, this has helped the car design to adapt to our needs when it comes to comfort and ease of access etc.

As for the car enthusiast buying old cars due to cheap banger prices, that's poppycock. The folk that buy cheap banger cars are not car enthusiasts, they are just regular folk who cant really afford a newer better car. A car enthusiast is a different breed altogether, insurance companies such as Adrian Flux can recognise the difference with certain insurance policies to suit...

I'm sure many cheap banger owners also own a new or newer vehicle, it just a way of having the reinsurance of owning a more reliable newer car. I went out and bought a new car because I wanted the wife and kids to have something newer than driving around in my old bangers, we always had the funds to do so, but I'm an old believer where I prefer money is better left in the bank.

I much prefer the older style vehicles due to their classic shape, cars that were created in an analogue world where designers used pencil and paper to create beautiful elegant designs. I also enjoy what the older classic car represents, its a different world of motoring which easily alienates the modern crazy society that we live in today, never do I want to be the same.
Couldn't have put it better myself, excellent take on the subject.
We also own a modern-ish car, it's an Astra twin top, nice enough but too much attention was put into styling and not enough engineering was put into the build quality .... the scuttle shake when the roof is down is dreadful ! my wife worked for Vauxhall for fifteen years and just about every engineer and salesman remarked .... nice looking car but awful drive and build quality.
Just another mass produced Eurobox built with Form over function, which incidently is being sold as soon as the summer gets here. haha.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 18:53   #32
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Other groups out there value the height and ease of access as well, parents getting kids in and out of car seats, an aging population means that the numbers needing cars that are easy to get in and out of are increasing.

For a small proportion of the population this quote is a valid point. Mt wife complains of difficulty getting in and out of the "too low" 75, but my answer will be to get my old Rover P4 back on the road. High seats, rear hinged rear doors, child locks, optional seat belts all with Rover comfort and style. Keeps up with modern traffic too.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 19:15   #33
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
For a small proportion of the population this quote is a valid point. Mt wife complains of difficulty getting in and out of the "too low" 75, but my answer will be to get my old Rover P4 back on the road. High seats, rear hinged rear doors, child locks, optional seat belts all with Rover comfort and style. Keeps up with modern traffic too.
I wouldn't say small proportion at all you only need to look how popular high up cars are to see its a fair chunk of car buyers.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 19:47   #34
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

100% agree- I have never purchased a car for any other reason than I liked it, not popular/not cost/not experts opinion or anyother reason. And I have travelled far and wide in my different cars and as MGJohn has mentioned had a fair number of snide remarks made by owners of "better" cars made about my vehicles, but they always got me there. Chris.S
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 20:31   #35
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
You have totally missed the point of the post, when did I say my 75 feels special? and why on earth would I compare my 14 year old R75 to the Makes and models you have listed? how is that even a relevant comparison?.

if it's not grabbing my attention then to me it's just another Eurobox.
So... you carry on and examine the 'integrity' of my post if it makes you happy, while i reserve the right to be an individual with a short list of specific requirements from my mode of transport and 'blending in' with the ipod / Bluetooth / hybrid / eco set is not on that list.
It appears that we may have both missed each others' point. In my view, it is poor form for an 'enthusiast' to use the term eurobox. My list of cars was intended to demonstrate that the cars we admire so much cannot come anywhere close to some of the cars that a subset of the members here would describe as 'euroboxes'. At the end of the day, majority of the car owners consider the cars that we admire to be undesirable bangers but we consider people with such views to be ignorant. It could be argued that to speak of euroboxes with similar tones is no different. Especially, as some of us have aspirations beyond our MGR cars in the direction of these 'euroboxes' whilst others already own them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post

As for the car enthusiast buying old cars due to cheap banger prices, that's poppycock. The folk that buy cheap banger cars are not car enthusiasts, they are just regular folk who cant really afford a newer better car. A car enthusiast is a different breed altogether, insurance companies such as Adrian Flux can recognise the difference with certain insurance policies to suit...

My use of the word "enthusiast" was with a large degree of intended sarcasm. Hence the part of the same paragraph which read "In my view a car enthusiast will always be able to appreciate cars beyond their ownership".

Perhaps my messages were too subtle?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2019, 20:55   #36
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
100% agree- I have never purchased a car for any other reason than I liked it, not popular/not cost/not experts opinion or anyother reason. And I have travelled far and wide in my different cars and as MGJohn has mentioned had a fair number of snide remarks made by owners of "better" cars made about my vehicles, but they always got me there. Chris.S
What he says ^

I regularly drive current cars at work, which is great to get the right car for the job and for dependability. Not many really stick out and make me think I must get one of these. I always enjoy getting back into a MG-R, for my private mileage, as they has character.
Old 6th March 2019, 21:59   #37
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
It appears that we may have both missed each others' point. In my view, it is poor form for an 'enthusiast' to use the term eurobox. My list of cars was intended to demonstrate that the cars we admire so much cannot come anywhere close to some of the cars that a subset of the members here would describe as 'euroboxes'. At the end of the day, majority of the car owners consider the cars that we admire to be undesirable bangers but we consider people with such views to be ignorant. It could be argued that to speak of euroboxes with similar tones is no different. Especially, as some of us have aspirations beyond our MGR cars in the direction of these 'euroboxes' whilst others already own them.

My use of the word "enthusiast" was with a large degree of intended sarcasm. Hence the part of the same paragraph which read "In my view a car enthusiast will always be able to appreciate cars beyond their ownership".

Perhaps my messages were too subtle?
I think I see your point but surely ... an 'enthusiast' is someone who appreciates a certain kind of car for personal reasons that only they can justify! if the car in question is not to his liking in any way they label it a Eurobox or anything else they like the sound of to justify the negative impression it gives.
It's not necessarily a negative term, more of a pigeon hole kind of statement.
We as consumers are all entitled to voice our opinions and indeed show 'poor form' if it makes the 'subset' of us comfortable labelling a non descript grey CAD car as a 'Eurobox' . it could have been called a lot worse, I think Eurobox is being kind to some of the cars I've seen churned out in the last decade.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote