Notices

Old 7th August 2019, 07:05   #147901
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Bright and sunny with a bit of cloud, boiler engineer coming today, and 3 carpet/sofa cleaning jobs for me to price up.
Good luck with the boiler man Richard.

There are only so many cold showers one can have
Old 7th August 2019, 07:20   #147902
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Good morning all, good morning Bob. One day at a time Bob, you’ll get through okay. Jeff, stunning photos! Good morning Ian, good morning Richard

On Monday, I cancelled an order at a local garage for brake parts and the manager said he would send them back. I would call into his garage again, as I needed to replace the 2 front tyres. I visited the garage yesterday and a customer in front of me was just paying for 2 new tyres, alignment £384! He had a Merc.

I asked for 205/55 R15 H or V. I was at the desk when he put the order in. Interestingly, 2 suppliers he tried, said none were in stock. The 3rd supplier said they only had Falkens in the size. Garage man said they are £199 for the 2, the size was old fashioned and difficult to get hold of, but they would be delivered yesterday pm and he’d send me a text when they had arrived, but I never heard from him.

I checked online what the Falkens were costing locally and the most expensive in the size I needed, came to £160. There is something not right. I suspect, the garage man was a bit peeved when I cancelled the order for the brake parts and the labour. I was looking at paying at least £300 for the parts and on top of that he said it’s a minimum of 3 hours labour for diagnostics and fitting.

A mechanic I know well has ordered the parts for £78. He will do the job on Saturday and won’t draw it out.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 11:12   #147903
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Good morning all, good morning Bob. One day at a time Bob, you’ll get through okay. Jeff, stunning photos! Good morning Ian, good morning Richard

On Monday, I cancelled an order at a local garage for brake parts and the manager said he would send them back. I would call into his garage again, as I needed to replace the 2 front tyres. I visited the garage yesterday and a customer in front of me was just paying for 2 new tyres, alignment £384! He had a Merc.

I asked for 205/55 R15 H or V. I was at the desk when he put the order in. Interestingly, 2 suppliers he tried, said none were in stock. The 3rd supplier said they only had Falkens in the size. Garage man said they are £199 for the 2, the size was old fashioned and difficult to get hold of, but they would be delivered yesterday pm and he’d send me a text when they had arrived, but I never heard from him.

I checked online what the Falkens were costing locally and the most expensive in the size I needed, came to £160. There is something not right. I suspect, the garage man was a bit peeved when I cancelled the order for the brake parts and the labour. I was looking at paying at least £300 for the parts and on top of that he said it’s a minimum of 3 hours labour for diagnostics and fitting.

A mechanic I know well has ordered the parts for £78. He will do the job on Saturday and won’t draw it out.
What parta waa that price fir Phil? I suapect the original garage were trying to rip you off.
Old 7th August 2019, 11:59   #147904
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
What parta waa that price fir Phil? I suapect the original garage were trying to rip you off.
Hi Richard, rear backing plate, hand brake shoes and fitting kit, rear ABS sensor, rear magnetised bearing with reluctor, that part was quoted at £150 made by Delco/Dayon....can’t quite recall the exact name.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 13:10   #147905
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post

Afternoon Phil, Blimey! Sounds like a rip off merchant For that money I'd want four tyres fitted & a long weekend in Blackpool wi donkeys .

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 13:11   #147906
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Afternoon all, a bit overcast here but still warm, glad you are getting sorted for a good price Phil, nothing worse than when a garage tried to overcharge.
Old 7th August 2019, 13:13   #147907
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Well the new "card reader" came from the bank that I lost and I'm now armed & dangerous to go spending on-line again .....Mind you it took three attempts to get all my details keyed in right

Old 7th August 2019, 14:28   #147908
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Middle of a thunderstorm and absolutely torrential rain here . . . . somewhat atmospheric when you are watching Poltergeist

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 15:07   #147909
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Afternoon all, Light showers have been rolling through all day here, warm though. The washing on the line has been up & down more times than a brides nightie with the showers

I finally got around to installing my Cyberlink power director video editing suite onto this PC.

Blimey it's frightening how you forget how to edit the simplest things in it when you've not used it for ages.
Thank heavens for youtube tutorials.

Old 7th August 2019, 16:44   #147910
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Thunder and torrential rain again, been a rather damp afternoon.

Just been on the weather after the news, 700 lightning strikes in the Edinburgh area in the last couple of hours! On the local news website flooding all over the place in Edinburgh.

T4 Location Map

Last edited by stevestrat; 7th August 2019 at 17:29..
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote