Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th September 2012, 14:20   #1
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

Default Shell V Power

Does running the CDTI on Shell V Power give better fuel economy. I put 60 lts in by mistake it does seem to be running better, or mabe it's a figment of my imagination.

mike
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 14:50   #2
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercat View Post
Does running the CDTI on Shell V Power give better fuel economy. I put 60 lts in by mistake it does seem to be running better, or mabe it's a figment of my imagination.

mike
Well I used several tanks full of BP ultimate but I could see no difference in using Tesco's fuel
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 17:51   #3
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

It has a higher Cetane rating, similar to a petrols Octane rating. It will burn a little cleaner and faster, but isnt likely to make much difference in one or 2 tanks.

I find it too expensive, its about 8 or 10P a litre more around here, its cheaper to use Millers diesel max additive and regular diesel.
Old 17th September 2012, 19:50   #4
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

my CDTi tourer auto is slightly smoother in drive stopped at lights for example with either the V Power or as above I use the Millers additive with standard diesel.

Does not seem to affect economy; mild effect on smoothness probably the Cetane rating boosting effect of both.

Its probably a marginal effect though!
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 20:51   #5
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

i ran mine on total excellium a few weeks back to see if it made any difference over supermarket fuel, and it did give slightly better economy (2mpg brim to brim) but it didnt make any difference to the running of the engine, and at around 6p a litre more expensive, it didnt really save me anything.
maybe if id run several more tankfuls through, it might have had more of an effect, but its just too pricey for what you get.
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 20:58   #6
Forestgreen
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6 saloon

Worth calculating pence per mile rather than mpg saved. If you get an average of 2mpg better on a car doing 25mpg but costing 6p more than a litre of regular costing £135 that's an 8% improvement for a 4% additional cost and so it's actually cheaper to run. I try whenever possible to use V-power having measured the difference over a number of refills.
Forestgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 21:49   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestgreen View Post
Worth calculating pence per mile rather than mpg saved. If you get an average of 2mpg better on a car doing 25mpg but costing 6p more than a litre of regular costing £135 that's an 8% improvement for a 4% additional cost and so it's actually cheaper to run. I try whenever possible to use V-power having measured the difference over a number of refills.
Yes but the OP has a diesel so it's nearer 2mpg better on a car doing 48mpg. It's more than 6p a litre different than buying the cheapest supermarket fuel too.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 17th September 2012 at 21:51..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 08:29   #8
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

To answer the orginal post!

I HAVE noticed a difference using the Shell V Power both in the way the car goes and in the miles per tank I got !! the difference is small but there!! (subjective or not) - over several tries!!

However I didn't seem to get the same difference when I tried either the BP or Total stuff !!

I usualy try to put a tankfull of V-Power in each month to keep things cleaned out!! - it can be difficult when SWMBO keeps giving me 5p a liter vouchers from tesco's though!!

Andy
Trophy Blue Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 08:44   #9
bobf
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I try to use Shell V-power all the time - both petrol in my bikes, which run smoother and cooler, and diesel in my 75. The most noticeable difference with the diesel is the almost complete absence of black smoke in normal running.
bobf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 08:51   #10
Singvogel
Gets stuck in

75 CDT, 1966 2000TC P6, TD4-M47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Blue Tourer View Post
To answer the orginal post!

I HAVE noticed a difference using the Shell V Power both in the way the car goes and in the miles per tank I got !! the difference is small but there!! (subjective or not) - over several tries!!

However I didn't seem to get the same difference when I tried either the BP or Total stuff !!

I usualy try to put a tankfull of V-Power in each month to keep things cleaned out!! - it can be difficult when SWMBO keeps giving me 5p a liter vouchers from tesco's though!!

Andy
Exactly right. Absolutely no doubt about it.

I regularly go from Aberdeen to Dover and have tried the trip exclusively on one of a range of fuels. Shell V-Power is undoubtedly the best - for performance and mpg. I try to only use V-Power now. I do my sums very carefully and the apparent saving on supermarket fuel is just not there in the long run.

All the supermarket fuels give less mpg and promote smoke, especially on overtaking. Morrisons is by far the worst for smoke - to the extent it's embarrassing to look in the mirror.

Like Trophy Blue, Mrs Singvogel demanded we make use of the recent Tesco's 'up to 50p off' offer. Who could refuse such an offer? - but back came the smoke - and it was gone again when I next filled up with V-Power! Cast-iron proof.

I cannot understand those who say they can tell no difference.
If they don't care or are uninterested - fine - but they fooling themselves if they think all diesel is the same.

I have tried using Millers to compensate for the supermarkets lack of additives - but it's too expensive and the smell of it gets everywhere.

Singvogel.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote