Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th May 2014, 23:19   #1
andre372
Gets stuck in

2001 Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT manual Royal Blue (JFM)

Default mpg with cruise control

Has anyone noticed or even measured the difference in mpg when using cruise control and when not?

The reason I ask is that a bloke in the local electronics store I visited rather often when doing wiring for my cruise control told me that with his BMW fuel consumption increased by 3 litres for a 120 km (~75 miles) highway trip when driving with cruise control enabled. I can't remember if he said how he measured it, but I did ask if the the conditions where equal. Same road (back and forth), same speed, climate off etc. Obviously even brim to brim measurements aren't very accurate with such short journeys and much depends on petrol pump and if car is level, but such rise just doesn't seem logical.

Has anyone noticed an increase/decrease in mpg with cruise control?
andre372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 00:19   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre372 View Post
Has anyone noticed or even measured the difference in mpg when using cruise control and when not?

The reason I ask is that a bloke in the local electronics store I visited rather often when doing wiring for my cruise control told me that with his BMW fuel consumption increased by 3 litres for a 120 km (~75 miles) highway trip when driving with cruise control enabled. I can't remember if he said how he measured it, but I did ask if the the conditions where equal. Same road (back and forth), same speed, climate off etc. Obviously even brim to brim measurements aren't very accurate with such short journeys and much depends on petrol pump and if car is level, but such rise just doesn't seem logical.

Has anyone noticed an increase/decrease in mpg with cruise control?
My right foot is always lighter than the ECU............ well in my own cars it has been. My Jag XType, had a brilliant cruise, with no feeling of the power coming on or off. But the economy seemed to be lower. The ZT is the same. My father's old Megane cruise, was better at economy by about the same as mine was worse.

My test was a basic non (very non!) scientific test. As part of my commute, there is a short motorway stretch of about 4 miles. Each time they were 'tested', I was going to work, with a little traffic, but not enough to restrict my speed should I have wanted to drive at 70mph.

The reason why I 'tested' was to see if I was better or the car was better.

I would reset the computer as I went into top gear, 5th on the Jag, 6th on the Megane and my ZT is auto, so I cruised. All speeds were in and around 55-60mph. But if I was at 55mph with the cruise, I would try to keep 55 without. (or 60 with, and 60 without).

The Jag driving manually, would do around 62mpg, and 58 with cruise.

The Megane manually was 65mpg, and 66 with cruise (but you felt the speed drop off and pick up noticeably)

The ZT manually, was 50mpg and 44 with cruise.

As I said, these were not scientific, nor particularly indicative of true mpg. They were done one day after another, with weather I think similar, there was no account for ambient temps or engine temperatures. It was merely a guide because I noticed the Jag economy seemed to fall slightly when I played with the cruise. I used the motorway section, because it was the only part of my regular journey I could call a constant ie no traffic lights, roundabouts etc

I am not a fan of cruise unless I am on holiday abroad in a car.

I didnt know my father was watching his economy over the previous 4 or 5 months, when I borrowed his car oops
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 07:45   #3
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

Funny you say that andre372 as when I rarely use cruse control but when I come to a hill, I notice an increase (surge) of power from the car on cruise that I do not feel when I have my foot on the gas peddle going up same said hill.
So yes it would make sense to me if it uses more fuel on cruise in certain conditions.
Old 30th May 2014, 08:41   #4
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Funny you say that andre372 as when I rarely use cruse control but when I come to a hill, I notice an increase (surge) of power from the car on cruise that I do not feel when I have my foot on the gas peddle going up same said hill.
So yes it would make sense to me if it uses more fuel on cruise in certain conditions.
Does the cruise not work on torque output instead of rolling speed when it comes to climbing?, as the torque increases it would tend to up revs or shift down to peek the same speed on the road... it stands to reason you need more energy to defeat gravity than you do on the flat...
Old 30th May 2014, 08:54   #5
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I have noticed that a large number of drivers slow down visibly (compared with me on KV6 Cruise Control) when climbing hills, they then "notice" that they are slower at the top and accelerate, quite often passing me when I am still maintaining 70mph. Overall I would not expect significant differences of consumption in these instances.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 09:07   #6
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

I use less fuel on cruise about 2 mpg but with all the idiots who just pull out infront of you on motorways and don't speed up I find unless its a quiet road its a non starter switching it on and off, speeding up to pass the offending car etc. When switching it on and using it it made me feel whoosy at first with the pick up and slow down motions to maintain speed!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 09:14   #7
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE

My experience is an increase in mpg by using cruise on long trips.

CC is better at maintaining a set speed than my right foot; it makes small efficient adjustments rather than noticing that the speed has dropped by a few mph and accelerating back up (and usually fractionally past) the target speed.

Where CC can be less fuel efficient is uphill. Most drivers allow speed to drop off when climbing a hill (and allow over-speed on downhill stretches in undulating roads). CC will keep the speed constant.

Loads of use in the USA has proven to me that CC is more economical overall (and licence preserving)

My main bugbear with CC is those who pass, pull in and then slow down - requiring me to brake (and unlock the CC) or overtake them.
berkshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 09:32   #8
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Does the cruise not work on torque output instead of rolling speed when it comes to climbing?, as the torque increases it would tend to up revs or shift down to peek the same speed on the road... it stands to reason you need more energy to defeat gravity than you do on the flat...
I agree Peter but instead of a smooth climb without cruise, with cruise the power kicks in like an automatic down shifting
Old 30th May 2014, 09:39   #9
snorbitz
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
I have noticed that a large number of drivers slow down visibly (compared with me on KV6 Cruise Control) when climbing hills, they then "notice" that they are slower at the top and accelerate, quite often passing me when I am still maintaining 70mph. Overall I would not expect significant differences of consumption in these instances.
I have also noticed most driver slow down when going around a slight bend on the motorway. My cruise keeps the car going at the same speed I set it so I usually have to disengage the cruise or move lanes while the driver in front makes the adjustment in speed.
As for a difference in mpg, I haven't noticed any difference yet, but I haven't used it enough to show any real difference.
snorbitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 10:24   #10
wesley
Loves to post

75 saloon

i use cruse control quite a lot when we travel down to hayle to see my wifes family. i cant say ive noticed any difference in fule consumption when using it.

when going up hills the gearbox changes down a gear at about the same time in cruse as it would if i had my foot on the pedal.
wesley is offline   Reply With Quote