Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th June 2014, 09:17   #1
T-Shirt
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE Auto Diesel Tourer + 75 Diesel Connie Saloon. Yamaha V-Star 1100 Motorbike

Default Bye bye Swamp Thing The Tourer But what about my Sallon

Swamp Thing The Tourer has just left for its final resting place.

When I bought it for £225 I had ideas about putting it back on the road but on closer inspection, it just needed to much work & too much money spent on it, clutch, exhaust, rear spring & shocks, set of tyres etc, so I decided to break it.

I can now see why these cars are broke up so easily, I made well over £1000 PROFIT in parts that I have sold much cheaper than you see for sale on eBay, kept a few bits for myself & there was still quite a few bits left on it that a car breaker would have took off. The scrap dealer paid £160 for the shell alone.

Now heres the thing about my saloon, in the 2 years that I've owned it, I have spent a fortune doing whatever it needed, in the last few weeks alone I spent £400 on a complete exhaust & reconditioned alternator. But now the power steering rack has gone & its about £300 for a recon one to be fitted.

Whatever happens, I will be selling the saloon one way or another, but do I spent the £300 for a new steering rack & hopefully get £1000 for it, or do I keep the £300 in my pocket & break the car, make £1000+ in parts & £150 in scrap metal when the shell goes.

As much as I would hate to break the car, I try not to be in the habit of (or in the position to be) throwing £450 away to keep a car on the road that I will not be keeping.

I know some of you will now rant at me, saying a Rover 75 must be saved at whatever cost it takes, but economically, the sums just do not add up. If I was going to keep the car, I would without doubt spent the £300 to have the steering rack replaced. But just to sell it on at a large loss, just dont make sense.

P6 2200 TC
P6 3.5
216 Cabrio
820 Vitesse

Present motors:
Rover 75 Connie SE Auto Diesel Tourer
75 Diesel Connie Saloon.
Rover 75 Classic SE CDT Tourer (Swamp Thing)
Yamaha V-Star 1100 Motorbike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
T-Shirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 09:34   #2
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Why not use the steering rack from the tourer?
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 09:59   #3
T-Shirt
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE Auto Diesel Tourer + 75 Diesel Connie Saloon. Yamaha V-Star 1100 Motorbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.h View Post
Why not use the steering rack from the tourer?
I did think about it but as the tourer had been standing still in one place for 4 years, no doubt once the power steering rack stated being use the seals would have started leaking, so paying to have 2 racks fitted would have been a false economy. Also, I really don't like using secondhand steering, suspension or brake parts for my peace of mind.
P6 2200 TC
P6 3.5
216 Cabrio
820 Vitesse

Present motors:
75 Diesel Connie Saloon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 7th June 2014, 10:39   #4
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

If you break it, you will have £1000 to find another, plus many people will benefit from the parts.

If you fix it, it only makes sense to keep it.

Why not sell it with the fault declared? It will probably make around the same money as with the part replaced anyway?
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 10:43   #5
seancar
Banned

75 tourer and t4

I have racks 35.00 delivered if that helps you make your mind up.
seancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 13:57   #6
Kiltman
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT CDTi 135 / Rover 75 Club SE 160

Don't feel bad, I can't help feeling that the saloon I have for sale on here would be going the same way if I had somewhere to break it.
Kiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 10:32   #7
T-Shirt
Gets stuck in

A good bit of news, hopefully, it will be fixed.

Earlier I was chatting with a neighbour who is pretty handy with a spanner, who has offered me the use of his hard standing to do the job on (I just have grass & gravel) also, he is now reading the manual & said if the job dont look too bad, he will do the job for me, with me helping & it will be for free (a few years ago I would have done it myself but a bad back has put a stop to doing bigger jobs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post

Why not sell it with the fault declared? It will probably make around the same money as with the part replaced anyway?
This did cross my mind Rich, but trying to get £700 for a car that pours steering fluid onto the floor as fast as you put it in, it could not be driven away or even test driven. If I was looking at it to buy, it would have to be really cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancar View Post
I have racks 35.00 delivered if that helps you make your mind up.
Cheers Sean, I dont like using used steering parts, but if my plan works I will definitely consider your offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltman View Post
Don't feel bad, I can't help feeling that the saloon I have for sale on here would be going the same way if I had somewhere to break it.
Its a real shame Kiltman, to see these cars getting broke for spares that are still in such good condition.
Looking at the photos of yours, it looks stunning but when it becomes uneconomical to do the repairs (especially if your short of cash at the time) there is no alternative..The "save as all cost" people have their hearts in the right place but from what I have seen, keep their cash tightly in their pockets. If you spend out & do all the work on it, when you come to sell the car, you are told that you are asking too much for it..Rock & a hard place mate.
You could easily get your £450 (& quite a bit more) just by selling the power folds, chrome grill, Harman Kardon stereo, Drivers side cup-holder & Headlamp washers & a few other easy to remove bits. This could be done in a day, so you would not need to store the car, plus a scrap dealer would pay over £100 for whats left...Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do
P6 2200 TC
P6 3.5
216 Cabrio
820 Vitesse

Present motors:
75 Diesel Connie Saloon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 8th June 2014, 13:19   #8
Howie666
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Shirt View Post
A good bit of news, hopefully, it will be fixed.

Its a real shame Kiltman, to see these cars getting broke for spares that are still in such good condition.
Looking at the photos of yours, it looks stunning but when it becomes uneconomical to do the repairs (especially if your short of cash at the time) there is no alternative..The "save as all cost" people have their hearts in the right place but from what I have seen, keep their cash tightly in their pockets. If you spend out & do all the work on it, when you come to sell the car, you are told that you are asking too much for it..Rock & a hard place mate.
I'm glad you've got good news and such a helpful neighbour! I don't think what Kiltman is asking is anything like too much. I am happy when people rescue these cars but I'm no longer saying 'save them all' because I know it's just not possible. Personally it takes all of my resources to keep our car healthy and on the road. If I had the money I'd more than likely have another Rover/MG (or three!) but I have to be realistic.
1a. Headlights polished - DONE! (Magic Mike )
2. Auto dip rear view mirror
3. Seats replaced - DONE! (thank you Mischief)
7. Bodywork repainted
8. Inlet manifold changed for a working one - DONE! (Magic Mike )
Howie666 is offline   Reply With Quote