Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd June 2014, 10:29   #1
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Default I've Spotted Rad Weld in my Coolant!

After speaking to a friend of mine about 'copper coloured bits' floating in my coolant and after doing some extensive reading on here about the 1.8T engine I have come to the decision that the garage I bought my car from has done the 'dirty trick' of adding rad weld to the coolant.

Last week I asked for copies of any receipts of the work done to the car as yet these have not arrived via email.

I have looked at the engine along with a friend of mine to see what has or hasn't been done.
We both spotted the fact that the rocker cover gasket hasn't been renewed and what looks like to be the head gasket appears to be a mass of grey sealant.
I can't tell how old this is.

At the moment it's running okay but there seems to be a bit of lag, power is a bit slow in delivery.
It's noticeable from when I first bought the car in February.

Also in the Ultimate Buyers Guide it talks about these;

A new set of solenoid vacuum hoses, three of which to replace around £35 and you will be back to normal - Where can I buy these?

What parts do I need to get?
And can I do this myself?

I do have a fairly comprehensive toolkit.

I have been telling myself there's nothing wrong and it's just me, but I know something is up.
Because I don't want a complete failure as it's easier to cure the problem now.

Neil
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:41   #2
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I would leave the thing alone. What exactly, are you complaining about?
It doesn't loose water and it does not overheat as I understand it, so there should be no effect on the power from that.

Don't fix it if it ain't broken, just keep a good eye on the coolant and make sure the fan works as it should.

If it starts loosing water, check water pump and inlet manifold gasket.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 13:08   #3
Ratty

MG ZTT CDTI Honda Jazz 1.4 Auto

Also keep an eye on the plastic T piece.on the top hose.
Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 13:44   #4
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I would leave the thing alone. What exactly, are you complaining about?
It doesn't loose water and it does not overheat as I understand it, so there should be no effect on the power from that.

Don't fix it if it ain't broken, just keep a good eye on the coolant and make sure the fan works as it should.

If it starts loosing water, check water pump and inlet manifold gasket.
I'm not complaining about anything but just asking for advice.
Up until a couple of months ago I knew zero about these cars!

Honda's I'm fine with, but seeing as I purchased this nightmare of a car I am reliant on others knowledge.

I could very easily sell it but I don't give in that easily when one has a problem.

Neil
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:50   #5
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quite expecting a few more posts on this, with advice to drain, flush and refill asap because K-Seal can and has blocked heaters and other small diameter water ways.

The cam cover (rocker cover) gasket looks like a flat metal plate rather than having the appearance of a normal gasket, sealant may well have been used on one / both sides with either the old or a new gasket being fitted. It does not indicate if/if not the HG has been replaced as well.

Depending on liner height, there is a choice of at least 2 HG, if liners are .0002 above the block the MLS type is ideal, if below that figure the Payen gasket is better, fitting the wrong one for your engine could well mean it still leaks and may explain why K Seal has been used.

The 1.8 K series needs a *proper temperature gauge rather than reliance on the standard dash one, it indicates all OK from 75/115 degrees C, by then damage well have / or be about to occur even if you switch off the engine, because temperature of the head may continue to rise due to inoperative fan and/or low coolant level.

* see signature and contact Vindaloo for more information

Last edited by chipsceola; 23rd June 2014 at 14:53..
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:57   #6
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
Quite expecting a few more posts on this, with advice to drain, flush and refill asap because K-Seal can and has blocked heaters and other small diameter water ways.

The cam cover (rocker cover) gasket looks like a flat metal plate rather than having the appearance of a normal gasket, sealant may well have been used on one / both sides with either the old or a new gasket being fitted. It does not indicate if/if not the HG has been replaced as well.

Depending on liner height, there is a choice of at least 2 HG, if liners are .0002 above the block the MLS type is ideal, if below that figure the Payen gasket is better, fitting the wrong one for your engine could well mean it still leaks and may explain why K Seal has been used.

The 1.8 K series needs a *proper temperature gauge rather than reliance on the standard dash one, it indicates all OK from 75/115 degrees C, by then damage well have / or be about to occur even if you switch off the engine, because temperature of the head may continue to rise due to inoperative fan and/or low coolant level.

* see signature and contact Vindaloo for more information
One thing I have noticed is when I do use the climate control which isn't very often because I tend to drive with the window open is that switching the demist on say for the front screen it goes to full blast and I have to manually knock it down, is this normal?

Last edited by Neil1; 23rd June 2014 at 15:01.. Reason: wrong screen
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:43   #7
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
One thing I have noticed is when I do use the climate control which isn't very often because I tend to drive with the window open is that switching the demist on say for the front screen it goes to full blast and I have to manually knock it down, is this normal?
Yes, mine does that as well + recirculate button to cool interior quickly when its higher than the temperature you selected. I find let it run on auto setting, heat or condensation clears faster that way, then switch off and return to normal auto mode.

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:45   #8
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
Yes, mine does that as well + recirculate button to cool interior quickly when its higher than the temperature you selected. I find let it run on auto setting, heat or condensation clears faster that way, then switch off and return to normal auto mode.
Thank goodness for that thought there was a problem.

I have sent Vindaloo a PM about the temp gauge.
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:52   #9
Paulontour
Avid contributor

MGZT 190 and MGF VVC

Quote:
I'm not complaining about anything but just asking for advice.
Up until a couple of months ago I knew zero about these cars!

Honda's I'm fine with, but seeing as I purchased this nightmare of a car I am reliant on others knowledge.

I could very easily sell it but I don't give in that easily when one has a problem.

Neil
Why are you describing your car as a "nightmare of a car" when you don't appear to be having any serious problems and just asking for advice.
Paulontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 17:25   #10
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

Quote:
Thank goodness for that thought there was a problem.

I have sent Vindaloo a PM about the temp gauge.
I have replied to your PM
vindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote