Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th August 2015, 16:12   #1
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Default Wet in boot..more in the saga...

Having done my tail light gaskets, following a lot of water on the boot floor, by the gluing and reversing method and after 24 hours of steady rain I still detected some wet though only a little.
So out with all the boot lining and spare wheel to totally expose every nook an cranny.
I reckon the water was no more an say half an egg cup in total but that is enough in winter to accumulate and make everything damp and mouldy.

I have now siliconed the waist trim clips, the vents and carefully added half a turn to each of the 3 tail light nuts. I also ascertained the rear window is sealed and not leaking.

I removed the lower half of the boot seal and ran a bead of silicone to the lip before replacing it.

Not sure how it will respond but I also ran a bead of silicone around the tail light black plastic bits where they meet the 'rain gully' to try and shift the water lower down towards the rear bumper and discourage it from heading towards the light seals. This can be reversed if it gives any problems.

I didn't do a hose pipe test as the silicone hadn't set but there is rain forecast tonight so fingers crossed.
Old 19th August 2015, 16:27   #2
Scaramanga

Firefrost 75 CDTi Conn SE manual Tourer

This may be a silly question but do you park on a slope?

My driveway is quite steep and if i parked nose down water accumilated under the boot lid behind the boot seal as it had nowhere to drain. Small ammounts of water ingressed i guess because the seal was constantly in contact with it. This was noticeable if i opened the boot whilst on the slope, water could be seen dripping in.

If this is the case for you, your sealant mod should prevent further occurence.

PS maybe another stoopid question - did you put a bead of vaseline around your new tail light gaskits as this sealed mine a treat ( having a jar of the stuff with no other use for it )
3. Midnight Blue 2.5 V6 auto Saloon- 'The 5th Gear Car' - Now owned by another forum member
4. Firefrost CDTi manual Tourer
Lee

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Scaramanga; 19th August 2015 at 16:35..
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 20:27   #3
aguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post
This may be a silly question but do you park on a slope?

My driveway is quite steep and if i parked nose down water accumilated under the boot lid behind the boot seal as it had nowhere to drain. Small ammounts of water ingressed i guess because the seal was constantly in contact with it. This was noticeable if i opened the boot whilst on the slope, water could be seen dripping in.

If this is the case for you, your sealant mod should prevent further occurence.

PS maybe another stoopid question - did you put a bead of vaseline around your new tail light gaskits as this sealed mine a treat ( having a jar of the stuff with no other use for it )
Thanks for response Lee,

If I park nose in I suppose there is the slightest slope offside to nearside but very gentle. Front to rear is level. Water was evident both sides but not much at all.

I did not put a 'bead' of Vaseline but smeared the whole gasket both sides sparingly.

If there is any leak after this and I suspect the Gaskets, I may opt for Jezzers modified ones. But to me the gaskets seem to be holding and I suspect the weep was from the waist trim clips. The washers were quite wet in there prior to me hitting them with silicone.

I know the subject has been done to death but I will report on how things develop as there are lots of people with the same problem and I hope 'every little helps'
Old 19th August 2015, 20:32   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

And......

It's raining now
Old 19th August 2015, 20:56   #5
aguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
And......

It's raining now
OOH ERR !!
Old 20th August 2015, 06:01   #6
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

I had leaks everywhere on my last zt and I found 2 places which were new to this forum.

Have a search on here, I posted pictures.
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 06:40   #7
Peter Garton
Regular poster

Rover75

We had this dilemma with my son's MGZT260 and the actual leakage was coming from the rear window gasket.
It is useless to then try and inject silicone under the window gasket, by the way. It all has to come off, but the good news is that the actual rear window does not have to be removed. One can seal it all up from underneath or replace the gasket itself. The way to do this can be found on the ZT260 website called the "twosixties.".
Peter Garton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 06:48   #8
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Is your boot still stripped out?? if so sprinkle some talcum powder around the edges.
Also you may have been better getting new light seals as the ones sold on here are all one piece, I got new and it cured my soaking wet boot.
Ken
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 09:11   #9
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Garton View Post
We had this dilemma with my son's MGZT260 and the actual leakage was coming from the rear window gasket.
It is useless to then try and inject silicone under the window gasket, by the way. It all has to come off, but the good news is that the actual rear window does not have to be removed. One can seal it all up from underneath or replace the gasket itself. The way to do this can be found on the ZT260 website called the "twosixties.".
This is a useful how to from RICH

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=101513
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 09:21   #10
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure was a recommended product for leaks. Waist trim, D pillar trim are other things to check! Good luck getting it sorted!

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote