Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th March 2023, 08:57   #1
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Rover 75 fuel problem

Hi guys, yesterday I had only a quick half a mile run with the car (a 2.0 V6, year 2000), shut the engine off for a quick half a minute stop, turned it on again, then it started running rough for a few seconds (at very low revs acting like it was about to die), then it suddenly stopped. Now when trying to crank it up, it just cranks but won't start. Thought I had no fuel, so put 10 liters of fuel in the tank, cranked, but still nothing. Then decided to unplug the fuel pipe from the top right part of the intake manifold (above the throttle body) to see if the pump is sending fuel, unplugged it, cranked the engine, but 0 fuel was coming from the pipe. Any thoughts? The camshaft position sensor was replaced some months ago because for that being faulty before, I was having similar problems (car cranked but didn't start), so I don't think that would be the problem again, especially if now the first time that this problem arised, the engine stopped meanwhile it was running

Last edited by Rsnail; 12th March 2023 at 09:02..
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2023, 10:31   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Any fault codes?

Does the rev counter move (bounce) when cranking? If not suspect crankshaft sensor.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2023, 11:21   #3
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Car would not start at all with a faulty cam sensor - so as said a faulty crank sensor maybe the culprit as she started then cut out - it can cause non starts and cut outs/stalls.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2023, 17:31   #4
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Rev counter doesn't move when cranking. Is this definitive evidence that it's the crank sensor? And if so, does it even have a fault code or it just dies and shows no error?
Old 12th March 2023, 18:01   #5
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

A faulty crank sensor usually throws up a fault code, as to whether the lack of movement is definitive evidence - I can only say that's what I've learnt during my time here.

A fault code and the lack of a bouncy rev-counter, would definitely confirm it.

Regards

ps I believe the fuel pump relay also requires a signal from the crank sensor, so your description seems to confirm it
Old 12th March 2023, 18:01   #6
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

And one more thing, even if the crank sensor would be the culprit, why doesn't the fuel rail spit out any fuel whencranking? Is this what would normally happen when the crank sensor would be faulty?
Old 12th March 2023, 18:46   #7
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Read my reply again especially the ps. bit ... after the initial priming process the fuel pump relay needs the crankshaft sensor input.

Regards
Old 12th March 2023, 19:39   #8
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Thank you guys! Will pull up the diagnostics and see what it gives me. Hopefully it'll show the crank sensor and I won't have to dig any further
Old 12th March 2023, 20:09   #9
bluemalbert
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

if its not the crank sensor, check for 'Fuel Filter Syndrome' I had the exact symptoms a couple of months back. The fault is in the tank (mine is a petrol engine - dont know if the diesel models are the same, if thats what you have)
the filter is in 2 bits and they vibrate apart causing no fuel pressure and your symptoms. There is lots of advice on the forum - just search. The remedy is a clip which you can get from ebay, once fitted it keeps the 2 parts of the filter together, and so maintaining the pressure.
If you search my posts, youll find my thread with valuable contributions from the experienced guys on here. Good luck!
bluemalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2023, 22:12   #10
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

P0108 - Manifold absolute pressure/barometric pressure circuit high input
short to V batt
sporadic error

This is the only error coming out, any ideas?

And @bluemalbert, thanks for the info, will check for that, could you however be more specific with that clip and what's it called? Regarding the fuel pump, I understood that the pre 2001 models, like mine (2000), shouldn't have this problem (maybe???), somebody please correct me if I'm wrong