Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th March 2023, 20:41   #1
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Default Osf abs fault

Hi all. I have both my ABS warning light and my brake warning light on, the screen reads ABS fault & brake fault on start up. The ABS warning light does not go out, so this points to an electrical fault or less likely a modulator fault. I have read the OBD and the only fault shown is front ABS sensor. The problem started when my front offside wheel arch liner decided to detach itself, taking out the ABS wire on it's way. I have replaced the sensor lead twice. The first lead was a cheapo unit and did not fix the issue, the speedo was also out. I bought a Bosch sensor, the speedo started working bit the lights remain on. The voltages read 12V & 1.6V, which seem correct, so I am puzzled if there is a break in the circuit? Today the speedo seems to be unstable, it starts off on a journey OK, but then only moves between 0-30MPH, even when doing 60! The speedo needle is just hovering up and down randomly at this speed range. I need some help on where to look and what might be causing this speedo issue! Thanks for any expert advice. I also checked the voltages when I got home and these seemed high at close to 14V with the return at 2.4v?
ninaandphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2023, 21:28   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Haven't a clue what front off side is, but as you're talking about your speedometer then it's the front right ABS sensor. However the sensor is only half of the circuit, the other half is the magnetic strip forming part of the bearing perhaps it's damaged either by rust flakes or debris from an old sensor.

It's not a fun job but I'd take the hub off and examine the magnetic strip, could also be that the ABS sensor isn't fully within range and needs trimming.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 00:52   #3
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Haven't a clue what front off side is, but as you're talking about your speedometer then it's the front right ABS sensor. However the sensor is only half of the circuit, the other half is the magnetic strip forming part of the bearing perhaps it's damaged either by rust flakes or debris from an old sensor.

It's not a fun job but I'd take the hub off and examine the magnetic strip, could also be that the ABS sensor isn't fully within range and needs trimming.

Regards

Hi Vitesse, in the UK, being a drive on the left country, the front offside refers to the side where the driver sits, the nearside being next to the curb / pavement.

But as you say "the front right " it is the same as our offside, your " front left" would be our nearside.
Old 28th March 2023, 08:05   #4
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks, it's been explained before but I instantly forget as you then have to factor in the poster's originating country and whether they drive on the right or left.

Think it would be a lot easier if everyone sticks to the simpler "front right or front left"

Regards
Old 28th March 2023, 09:27   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Thanks, it's been explained before but I instantly forget as you then have to factor in the poster's originating country and whether they drive on the right or left.

Quote:
Think it would be a lot easier if everyone sticks to the simpler "front right or front left"

Regards
Hi Mike.
Even then you have to take into account that the right means when you are sitting in the car not standing in front of the car, same for the left.

Some people make the mistake of thinking when referring to left and right from the front of the car, when in fact it's from the rear of the car.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 10:15   #6
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

True Steve, but it's impossible to factor in everyone's variables

Just trying to point out that left & right are internationally accepted standards, think it even mentions this in the workshop manual. Funny though that UK seems to be the only place that uses the nsf/osf and thankfully so because if I start using the same terminology about a car locally (in Sweden) it would be really confusing.

Keep well,

Mike
Old 28th March 2023, 10:37   #7
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 12:04   #8
bigblue75
older not wiser

75 Tourer

Default Off topic but

Just wondering if the OP ever found / fixed the cause of the uneven power delivery they asked about in another thread.....

personally, I've always considered front, left / right, rear as when sitting in the car facing the correct way.
bigblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 12:31   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Maybe we should use port and starboard - then there is no confusion.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2023, 17:15   #10
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Hi, sadly I have not cured the uneven power delivery yet! I put in a new MAF, which actually has dramatically improved the low rpm driving, but in the background, not all the time, are the annoying performance 'hiccups', I have also changed the diesel fuel filter. I am wondering if there might be some voltage stability issues with the car, I can only think of this, and or a front or rear fuel pump not delivering a consistent flow, doesn't feel severe enough to be fuel starvation.

And thanks for all the comments regarding OSF! I think I'll stick to RHD drivers front to avoid confusion. (The one with the speedo on diesels).

What I really need is inspiration on my ABS & Brake light and wonky at times speedo. I don't think the issue is dirt or reluctor ring related as the ABS lights stay on and doesn't go out, then back on, but who knows :-) Anyone think voltage stability from the alternator might be an issue?

Such a lovely car but the niggles are driving me mad!

Last edited by ninaandphil; 28th March 2023 at 17:19..
ninaandphil is offline   Reply With Quote