Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th May 2018, 21:17   #1
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default Transferring personal plate

My project Zircon Silver 75 is ready for MOT test and my current Wedgwood 75 is due for road tax at the end of the month.

Looking at the DVLA site it would indicate I can transfer my personal plate (£80 fee ) to another car in my ownership if it has been taxed (without gaps) for the last five years or has been on SORN

That being the case I should be able to transfer my registration before I get the Zircon MOT’d and subsequently taxed.

Anyone done this. I want the MOT to be as late in the month as possible as obviously it won’t be taxed till 1st June.
My insurance is also due in June but I will have to notify them of the change of car, yet another cost and no doubt with the Zircon being an they will want more money
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 01:03   #2
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

If you put your number on retention online it is instant and you can put your old plates on right away. It is the same when you put the retained plate onto the new car, it's instant. Does that help?

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 02:12   #3
Roker
Regular poster

2001 Connoisseur

These "inferentially" personal UK plates that cost a King's Ransom make us smile in Oz. For 80 bucks here, you can have what the hell you like on any number of different coloured plates and as long as it isnt profane, it fits into a certain number of characters, or someone else already has it then you are free to express whatever it is you feel you need to display to the world and ceases to be a status symbol. People get a little creative and i get bit sick of seeing 3's that sort of look like an 'E" at a distance, but it is something that nobody needs to make money out of. There is a Black Jeep wandering around Perth, Western Australia with the number plate BAA BAA. love it! Much better than the tossers with the stupidly noisy twin 4" exhausts in their V8 overhead ashtrays that expound 2TUF4U or UNVMY8. Clever beats NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- ever time.
Roker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 07:18   #4
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

It’s the same in Malta you can put practically anything on a plate as long as it fit in and numerals are the right size. They also don’t cost much.

Here in the U.K. the government has made hundreds of millions in the sale of plates and at the end of the day you still don’t actually own it. It’s a bit farcical.

I’ve got two on our plus one on retention which came on the Jag where the previous customer was moving abroad but they only cost £350 each at the time.

My question was really whether I would have to get the car MOT ‘d on its original plate first but it would seem rhats not the case, but insurance company would have to know the plate change.
Old 6th May 2018, 11:24   #5
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Thankfully, I think the "status symbol" has died out as more and more people have moved toward personal plates. If I drove a Bentley I doubt very much if I would sport such a plate.
Sorry that I didn't quite get my head around the original question but glad you have the answer anyway.

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 16:25   #6
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roker View Post
These "inferentially" personal UK plates that cost a King's Ransom make us smile in Oz. For 80 bucks here, you can have what the hell you like on any number of different coloured plates and as long as it isnt profane, it fits into a certain number of characters, or someone else already has it then you are free to express whatever it is you feel you need to display to the world and ceases to be a status symbol. People get a little creative and i get bit sick of seeing 3's that sort of look like an 'E" at a distance, but it is something that nobody needs to make money out of. There is a Black Jeep wandering around Perth, Western Australia with the number plate BAA BAA. love it! Much better than the tossers with the stupidly noisy twin 4" exhausts in their V8 overhead ashtrays that expound 2TUF4U or UNVMY8. Clever beats NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- ever time.
Plates in the UK dont have to cost a fortune, I paid £135 for T8OLX. My initials are TB, and the rest....
Old 6th May 2018, 20:38   #7
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

You should be able to swap but you may need to wait on the new V5C coming through to tax it as it'll carry a different 11 digit ref number from the one you have at the moment.
I'd be tempted to MOT on current then swap it all over once it's taxed etc.

MOT and tax will swap over once the change happens then just a case of notifying insurance.
Old 7th May 2018, 06:41   #8
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

That’s what I’m thinking Wullie, that way I can have it sitting all ready at the end of the month to swop plates. Insurance is due a couple of weeks later so that way I would notify them of change of car and avoiding a double charge from the blighters
I’ve got a new set of plates ordered for it as my current personal rear plate is going off a bit. I’ve ordered the S Type Jaguar shape as I feel the 75 smiley fills the entire space a tad too much.
Old 7th May 2018, 08:04   #9
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

We have four plates all L444 ### with the last three letters our initials. My wife and I have ours on our cars, two on retention for the kids when they are on the road ,cost around £250 each including transfer fee.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 08:14   #10
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I had a KIA **** on my Kia cars that I transferred from my old motorcycle. To be honest, it just gets to be a PITA each time you change, having to do all the insurance changes, numberplate swaps etc. The other thing is, everyone knows where you are!!!