Notices

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2018, 06:01   #1
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts
Default Hard Brexit

Can someone briefly explain what a hard Brexit is please. ?
Ken.
Old 6th May 2018, 07:50   #2
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43470987

Here's a link that should be useful.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 6th May 2018, 11:52   #3
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Disclaimer.

OK, I’ll bite. But, great care must be taken to avoid the rather obvious pitfall. This is an attempt to confine myself to even-handed dissemination of terminology and its effects on common perception.

The only concern is the definitions given by the source and the value of using particular media outlets, commentators and journalists. That is, neither their or my own opinions of the underlying subject but rather a comparison of bias which can take many forms.

The reference sources will often subconsciously (?) allow their inbuilt bias to offer a limited definition so motives and associations should be considered.

(With apologies to Topman!)

BBC: Widely considered by many respectable publications and usually careful commentators to be heavily biased against leaving. Rarely if ever has news programmes that predict anything favourable on this subject, to the point of ignoring any signs of an improving economy. Their definition of your opening question is very limited and glaringly makes no mention of the alternatives to a ‘soft’ option.

The question of the ‘hard’ option was widely seen as a negotiating ploy to be used when faced with intransigence in committee. Never referred to in negotiation meetings but implicit in talks in an attempt to moderate (!) anticipated difficulties.

The main economic benefit of it would possibly be World Trade Organisation rules which might offer a huge increase in prospects.
Old 6th May 2018, 12:22   #4
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Hard Brexit is what people have voted for. I hope it happens as a fudge will please no-one. Initially it will through our economy into turmoil, what happens later is anyone’s guess. It’s the ‘will of the peoplr’, unfortunately few knew what they were really voting for at the time. It’s a wild gamle.
Old 6th May 2018, 14:03   #5
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

I get the gist of it, thank`s
Ken.
Old 6th May 2018, 14:46   #6
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Hard Brexit is what people have voted for. I hope it happens as a fudge will please no-one. Initially it will through our economy into turmoil, what happens later is anyone’s guess. It’s the ‘will of the peoplr’, unfortunately few knew what they were really voting for at the time. It’s a wild gamle.
Well unless the ballot papers in Northern Ireland were different than the rest of the U.K. - I don't remember the words 'Hard Brexit.
One outcome is just leaving the EU completely next March, and straight onto WTO rules - otherwise there are many many options to be finalsed.
This 'Hard Brexit is what people voted for' needs to be challenged every time it is mentioned - people who voted for Brexit voted for many different reasons, and certainly didn't have a pre-determined outcome in mind - how could that be possible?
Old 6th May 2018, 15:07   #7
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
Well unless the ballot papers in Northern Ireland were different than the rest of the U.K. - I don't remember the words 'Hard Brexit.
One outcome is just leaving the EU completely next March, and straight onto WTO rules - otherwise there are many many options to be finalsed.
This 'Hard Brexit is what people voted for' needs to be challenged every time it is mentioned - people who voted for Brexit voted for many different reasons, and certainly didn't have a pre-determined outcome in mind - how could that be possible?
If one reads the document that Camerons's government put out to all households before the referendum it was very clear what voting Leave would mean. 'Leave the Single Market and the Customs Union' What these days is called a Hard Brexit.
Agreed that there are a number of non trade issues that would have affected how people voted.
Old 6th May 2018, 15:32   #8
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
If one reads the document that Camerons's government put out to all households before the referendum it was very clear what voting Leave would mean. 'Leave the Single Market and the Customs Union' What these days is called a Hard Brexit.
Agreed that there are a number of non trade issues that would have affected how people voted.
Well rather than getting into a prolonged debate on the matter now, let's revisit all of this in about 6 months time, when it's possible we might actually have the terms of a 'Sensible Brexit' !!
Old 6th May 2018, 15:34   #9
mbev51
Banned

Removed

If we don’t get a ‘hard brexit’ nobody will be happy, the people who believe in Brexit want that. Although I am totally against Brexit, I believe it should be done. If it doesn’t work a future generation can sort it out. Cameron did specify what it meant. A fudge will be horrendouse, everyone will be unhappy. So mrs May do it and do your best to make it work. We are retired so no jobs to worry about and we have enough means to weather any storm barring financial institutions going down with our money. I worry about younger people’s jobs that rely on the trade we do with the EU, and others who will loose out in a downturn in the economy. So let the Tory party bring it on, I’m fed up thinking about the consequences.
Old 6th May 2018, 15:36   #10
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
Yes indeed - that leaflet (that incidentally cost £9million of tax payers money - a fact that those that try to make out the “Leave Campaign” bent electoral rules conveniently fail to remember!) set out clearly what Brexit would mean.

To me “Hard Brexit” is very much what Brexit is all about - I.e. leaving the EU, the Customs Union and the Single Market.

That is EXACTLY as it was described on that leaflet and that is what I voted for. To say this was never made clear is disingenuous.

The advantage of this Brexit/Hard Brexit will be our freedom to negotiate Trade deals with other Trading Blocs. Initially we may well run on WTO rules - but within a decade we will be trading with the new leading economies rather that being shackled to a trading bloc that really is t doing a lot.

Soft Brexit would be the worst of all worlds - shacked to this dinasaur of the EU but without even 1 vote in 28!!

Even as a full member and one of the five net contributors to the money pit we only had one vote in 28.

What the heck is the point of having all the restrictions, not being able to negotiate our own world wide trade deals and not even being able to sit at the table with the 27 when decisions regarding this suffocating “club” are being made?

No, what Brexit is was made very clear - no one can say that the population was not aware of what Brexit is.

Those that did not get the vote they wanted coined the Phrase “Hard” in an attempt to make a “Soft” version of Brexit sound more palatable.
Closed Thread