Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th June 2018, 15:50   #31
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

The tools you have are fine & if from the USA would have been listed for the LR Freelander 2.5 (KV6)...same engine basically.

I really think you should concentrate on finding which cylinder is causing you the problem & that may narrow the possibilities.

I mentioned broken camshaft in my previous post because if the camshafts are not held in the correct way, they more than likely will break.
It sounds like you secured them properly so I doubt very much if this is the problem.
I don't want to open up a can of worms here but I always use the correct tools for doing these belts but I know some on this forum & others I'm sure have changed the belts without the tools.

Find the misfiring cylinder & don't let it beat you!!
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2018, 20:34   #32
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
It’s not.

Hardly anyone has the Rover tools used by dealers. The Laser, AST and Sealey kits may not be as good but they work. It’s never a good idea to buy the cheapest tools, if that’s what you mean by “Chinese knock off”.

Sorry Jens, the rear belt does have to be tensioned (stretched) between precisely aligned rear sprockets prior and during fitting. Haynes says: “This will require some effort to overcome the tension of a new belt ..”. That’s an understatement. I’d say it’s impossible without either the belt or one or both sprockets moving. After you’d done this, did you reinsert the flywheel locking pin and check that the notches on the rear sprockets were misaligned by the same amount as they were before you started? They should not be exactly opposite each other as the manuals claim.

Good, you can discount that possibility then.

Jens, it’s obviously too much of a coincidence that, after renewing timing belts, you just happen to have a firing problem on one cylinder. Providing you didn’t forget to reconnect one of the injector loom plugs after the thermostat work, the indications are that you’ve upset the camshaft timing by thinking that you can do without the service tools which were designed to ensure that this cannot happen. If you don’t trust your Chinese kit, write it off to experience and buy a set from AST, Sealey or Laser to find out where you went wrong. You probably have an error on the front belt too as it is extremely physically taxing for one person to hold both sprockets precisely in position for the time it takes for you to fit the belt, bolt the hydraulic tensioner in place and set its pulley correctly. Use the tools; it’s not clever to pretend that you don’t need them!

Simon
Your total utter and complete lack of understanding is absolutely mind-boggling Simon.
One would have hoped that after your lengthy, public and torturous experience, you would by now at least understand how an engine works!
But, alas, another opportunity wasted.
It is simply impossible to have a one cylinder misfire, on a six cylinder engine with four cams, as a result of cam timing.
And this is not debatable, it is a fact.
That you can't see this clearly demonstrates that you are preaching stuff you don't understand.
Sorry to be a bit direct here, but you are leading people astray here. Don't do that. Study.!
Old 8th June 2018, 22:00   #33
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_munk View Post
Will do, unless I give up and send it off to the junk yard
You're talking yourself into a defeatist attitude. It is very unlikely, VERY unlikely, that your issue is timing related and certainly not a broken camshaft or crankshaft. As suggested, check the manifold for leaks, investigate which cylinder is misfiring (how did you conclude it's only firing on 5?). I'm not a gambling man but I would bet you will find the culprit is no more than a simple fix. Oh and BTW, co-incidence ??? Oh yes indeed. Been there more times then I would care to mention. Things that make the impossible, possible. Lost count.

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 01:25   #34
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Question

the engine will run like sh**t at first start up until it retimes itself. however are you sure that you have not reconnected the front bank (nearest to radiator) plug leads wrongly ? as i recall some vehicles had pots 1 and 3 with the wrong length leads connected from new. (mine has ) and appear at first sight to be correct.just an idea to double check...

Last edited by xsport; 9th June 2018 at 01:32..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 02:28   #35
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

The timing is constant and un-varying, there can be no doubt about that. So ignore that comment, but for your second, well
BINGO
Old 9th June 2018, 06:23   #36
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

As above, it can be frustrating at times, but stick with it. Try the ignition fault technique as above. It's better to try the simple things first and then go from there.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 09:02   #37
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

As it has been said, look at other possibilities!

I know from my own experiences that just because you have been working on one thing, in this case, the timing belts then it must be the timing belts. Often the problem can lie in parts you have moved to get in there so to speak. Even more often it turns out to be something very simple like putting the wrong leads on the wrong spark plugs.

Also, like it has been said already. If one cam is out you would have three cylinders affected not just one.

Have a cup of tea while you are looking it over, keep calm and you will find the fault.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 10:19   #38
jens_munk

Rover 75 Saloon

As I have mentioned a couple of times, I am very careful, and in this particular case I stopped the engine when it didn't sound right to me. I.e. sound of misfire and ticking/knocking noise from the engine. Tried it several times but never for longer time. In any of the cases, it did start right up, the idle speed was normal and no engine error codes.

Well, this morning, I thought what the heck and let it run. Here is what I found:

-> The ticking sound is apparently a valve lifter on the front bank (Located with a stethoscope). Reving it at little makes is go away, coming back a little later at idle but eventually it's gone. I guess that particular valve has been sitting open for the three weeks I have been working on this and eventually some of the oil drained out of it. Now there is no hard sounds from the engine itself.

-> The misfire sound: Well, the exhaust system is "getting there" and maybe even a little closer with the lifting and twisting of the engine on the jack. There are certainly leaks now. In addition the the belly panel is off and it is in a rather compact garage making it all sound very different from the carport or open road where it normally resides.

-> Also with the battery off for that long the ECU would have forgotten what it has learned and this would also contribute to weird idle until it has relearned.

Now on to the inner fender, front wheel, belly panel and a new exhaust.
Once again , and sorry for pestering you.

Jens.
jens_munk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 10:31   #39
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Your total utter and complete lack of understanding is absolutely mind-boggling Simon.
One would have hoped that after your lengthy, public and torturous experience, you would by now at least understand how an engine works!
But, alas, another opportunity wasted.
It is simply impossible to have a one cylinder misfire, on a six cylinder engine with four cams, as a result of cam timing.
And this is not debatable, it is a fact.
That you can't see this clearly demonstrates that you are preaching stuff you don't understand.
Sorry to be a bit direct here, but you are leading people astray here. Don't do that. Study.!
I did think that myself Kaiser, and I'm in complete agreement.

To the OP, start by identifying the offending cylinder, and work methodically from there, check for disturbed wiring to coil packs would be my first port of call before stripping things unnecessarily

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 10:57   #40
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
The timing is constant and un-varying, there can be no doubt about that. So ignore that comment, but for your second, well
BINGO
agreed kaiser with ref to the cam timing.when i did mine few years ago it sounded like a bag of nails on first start up.after a few minutes running and altering the revs up and down it began to settle and get slowly quieter until eventualy it was fine and has been since.what i think is that the ignition timing via anti knock sensors and camshaft sensors needed a while to readjust themselves to the new settings .... not that i could see were particularly adrift on retiming but there we are new belts etc .....
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote