Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th October 2018, 16:27   #11
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

I must have been pretty fortunate then. It was almost four years before I lost the first nightbreaker, the other was still in there when the tourer went. I'm country lanes all the time so I'm ok with swallowing the cost if they blow. The extra light is worth the trade off as dodging the wildlife is routine here, deer, rabbits, grouse and other suicidals.

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 17:30   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I was sick and tired of replacing Osram Nightbreakers, so bought a pack of ten Lucas H7.

So far I've used six of the ten, in three cars, and the oldest pair have been in there for eighteen months.

Best bulbs I've used for the cars that eat headlight bulbs for breakfast

Brian
Do they really go through bulbs at an alarming rate?

Had our Honda about 14 years and only had to change 1 head light bulb

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2018, 17:40   #13
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Do they really go through bulbs at an alarming rate?

Had our Honda about 14 years and only had to change 1 head light bulb

macafee2
I've never changed a headlight bulb in my 214 in fifteen years or 400000 miles, the R40 headlight bulbs are not anywhere near as good, and it was a regular occurrence that Mrs MB told me that her car "had an idea"

I think part of the issue is the way the bonnet tends to be closed on the R40 though, and I've taken to closing the bonnet in the standard fashion, rather than dropping it down.

You don't end up with a row of dents in the bonnet either if you press with thumbs on the very leading edge of the panel

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2018, 19:49   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I have night breakers in mine. Three years old now. And I never just let my bonnet go down on its own when I shut it. I put the palm of my hand on the centre fold point at the front of the bonnet, and just push it down. No dents where I push but a couple on the bonnet before I took it on, very slight. Muckaniks shutting the bonnet after servicing is my guess.
Old 30th October 2018, 20:51   #15
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

I've replaced loads of H7 dipped beam headlight bulbs in my ZT. Lost count over the 5.5 years I've had the car, but probably 15-20 of them. Nightbreaker Unlimited I've used loads of... good light output but rubbish lifespan. I've now switched to Ring Xenon 130 which are an improvement in light output and lifespan. They still blow more often than I'd like, but an improvement nonetheless. I hate doing them, especially the offside bulb as that requires left-handed changing.

I've thought about the longlife bulbs (dimmer), but most of my driving is dark, twisty country roads and the increased light output from my projectors is most welcome.
As for LED bulbs, they seem ideal, but last time I checked I thought seemed to be a grey area in terms of retrofitting and legality... but I may be wrong.

By contrast, in the 10 years we've had Nissan X-Trails, not one blown headlight bulb.

Last edited by BigAde; 30th October 2018 at 21:12..
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote