Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 25th December 2018, 20:16   #11
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by championdaddy View Post
My Mot station couldn't give a flying fig about dashcams.

You could stand there with a full film crew and it wouldn't phase him LOL
Same here. My local mot station wouldn't care if "watch dog" were filming them. I drop the car in and make me and the mot tester a brew while he's checking the old iron chariot old for defects.
Old 25th December 2018, 20:36   #12
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

My Nextbase is hardwired to ignition live but also runs on a Parking anode off it’s own battery. Garage have never said anything about it, it’s not hidden or anything either and there’s a sticker in the back window
Old 25th December 2018, 21:25   #13
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by championdaddy View Post
My Mot station couldn't give a flying fig about dashcams.

You could stand there with a full film crew and it wouldn't phase him LOL

Both of mine are the same - Dashcam hardwired ign on they record. Both obviously in the front screen by the mirror - and their screens light up for the first minute + red light. My usual workshop don't care - they aren't taking my car for a thrash up the bypass and have nothing to hide. Anyone want to see the layout of the shop? they just need to walk by and look in.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Old 25th December 2018, 21:37   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennine View Post
I am very well aware of the legal standpoint. My point is that a customer should be advised to A: turn off dashcams or B: Be advised if a dashcam has been turned off.

I wasn't looking at it from the legal standpoint, but one of courtesy. The person who wishes to have an operational dashcam needs to take responsibility for it being turned off and on when appropriate.

My MOT station/garage would not care one way or the other. But I still owe them the courtesy of turning it off or preferably removing it before taking the car in.
Old 25th December 2018, 22:21   #15
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I wasn't looking at it from the legal standpoint, but one of courtesy. The person who wishes to have an operational dashcam needs to take responsibility for it being turned off and on when appropriate.

My MOT station/garage would not care one way or the other. But I still owe them the courtesy of turning it off or preferably removing it before taking the car in.
Ok, well I shall go and sit in the naughty corner for forgetting to turn off my dashcam. After all, Parks Ford deserves the same protection as the local primary school.
My dashcam is private property, located within my vehicle. The garage has no right whatever to touch or interfere with that equipment. If Parks Ford objected to the camera they should have refused to service it or ask me to turn it off or remove it. After all, I was sitting in the showroom. They did not have the right to disconnect at whim.

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25th December 2018, 22:35   #16
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Never even gave it a thought when I take mine in. No one has ever said anything and there is one in the rear also that can not be missed.I can understand the problem of pictures being taken of the layout of the garage, but have known and used this garage for around 30 years or more. Mine also is not recording voices.
Old 26th December 2018, 08:08   #17
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

With regard to the garage forgetting to reconnect after work being done, it’s no different to the owner forgetting to disconnect in the first place, I’d rather have a tech concentrate on the job in hand rather than what he has to do after they have finished. Would it be acceptable for a stranger to come into any other persons job and place down a camera that records what somebody is doing? You know it’s there but your colleagues don’t so anything they say to you either in passing or confidence is then recorded. The next question is how many people play the dash cam back ‘just to make sure the job has been done correctly’ Like I’ve said in earlier posts if you don’t trust the garage don’t use them.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
Old 26th December 2018, 08:35   #18
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
With regard to the garage forgetting to reconnect after work being done, it’s no different to the owner forgetting to disconnect in the first place, I’d rather have a tech concentrate on the job in hand rather than what he has to do after they have finished. Would it be acceptable for a stranger to come into any other persons job and place down a camera that records what somebody is doing? You know it’s there but your colleagues don’t so anything they say to you either in passing or confidence is then recorded. The next question is how many people play the dash cam back ‘just to make sure the job has been done correctly’ Like I’ve said in earlier posts if you don’t trust the garage don’t use them.
I’ve seen this being discussed on here before and at that point I asked my garage what they would do and the reply was disconnect it instantly. It’s got to be said I agree completely and wouldn’t make a fuss if it wasn’t connected again as I’d do that myself but I’d hope to have the good manners to remember and disconnect it myself before it goes into the garage. And as stated above if you don’t trust them don’t use them
Old 26th December 2018, 09:42   #19
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennine View Post
Ok, well I shall go and sit in the naughty corner for forgetting to turn off my dashcam. After all, Parks Ford deserves the same protection as the local primary school.
My dashcam is private property, located within my vehicle. The garage has no right whatever to touch or interfere with that equipment. If Parks Ford objected to the camera they should have refused to service it or ask me to turn it off or remove it. After all, I was sitting in the showroom. They did not have the right to disconnect at whim.

The thing that worries me about posts such as yours is that you are instantly bringing up the rights that the other party does not have and ignoring the rights that they do have. You are also focusing on what they should have done and not what you should have done. This is not uncommon amongst the population.

I think you will find that if you take a device into their premises that is violating their right to privacy, they do have the right to remove or otherwise deal with the offending part whilst taking reasonable care i.e. not unreasonably damaging the equipment or anything attached to it.

On the point that they should have refused to service the car, you did not give them the option by declaring that the work would be recorded. Once you booked the service and agreed to pay a certain amount, their service slot was booked and therefore there would have been a cost of lost opportunity if they had decided not to service the car upon discovering the dashcam. Would you have paid the service charge in any case? I suspect you would not.

When I leave any of my cars with my trusted garage, it is with a typed-up list of the things that I want done and a further statement to "do anything else you feel needs doing". They then have the right to do whatever they consider reasonable.

The solution to your issue is to build trust and a long-term relationship with the garage that you intend to use. Then occurrences such as yours never become issues.

Last edited by MSS; 26th December 2018 at 10:55..
Old 26th December 2018, 15:44   #20
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

I am so sorry that the behaviour of myself, at al (the populous in general) is a source of worry for some. If one takes the time to read my original post one will see that I am NOT ranting about violation of my rights, nor am I ignorant towards the rights of others. I am simply presenting a situation that has happened and could happen to others. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but it seems there is a little more going on here than a simple opinion. Just to clarify the situation .
Parks Ford have the right to.
A: Ask me to remove my vehicle. B: Ask me to disable my dashcam. C: Ask me to delete any footage of the premises and employees from any retrieval system. Any of which I would have been happy to do as it was a simple oversight on my part. With age, I seem to have lost the ability to walk on water and being a little fallable has crept in.
Parks Ford does not have the right to, touch, tamper, interfere with or disable any systems within my vehicle, thereby compromising a security feature. This is not Ford fitted equipment. A simple walk or call to the customer area would have resolved the issue or if they felt that a law was being broken a call to the police.
As this thread has managed to slip away from the simple intention of bringing up the possibility that others may find themselves blissfully unaware that their dashcam is not operational and into the realms of moral highground and the risk of it becoming slighty more heated...

I would ask that this thread be closed

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread