Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th October 2020, 13:13   #1
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Default Battery charge state

Ok so I got a s/h battery to get my 800 running and put it on a ctek charger and over a day and a half it shows that nothing wrong with it and it’s a green light so float charge now. Switch charger off and the next day it starts charging again and then within a couple of hours back to float charging. Does this sound right btw battery out of car ?
Thanks

Last edited by Robti; 30th October 2020 at 15:15..
Robti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 13:44   #2
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

I had the very same with the battery on my 75. (Ctek 7.0)
Green led, on float, battery was not strong enough to start the car.
Replaced the battery and all is fine.

The battery I removed still reads 12.5V on my multi-meter. The only thing I can think of is the liquid level in the cells has dropped, and while it is still showing fully charged it has become a lower rated battery. By that I mean it was a 780A 77Ah battery but now I suspect it is closer to 30Ah.

The charger is still seeing 12.5V so thinks all is well.

Just my 2d
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 15:17   #3
Robti
Posted a thing or two

Thanks I also thought about the levels but it’s a sealed one, not bothered if it gets me up to the mot station next week
Old 29th November 2020, 13:49   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I must have missed this post at the time. Several guesses, above, at the condition of the battery but the actual fact is that the battery had reached the end of its life. The plates were coated with HARD lead sulphate which had reduced their capacity to store electricity.

The reason for a Green light as a full charge indicator only meant the bits of the plate still working were holding a full charge.---Those indicator lights can be more trouble than they are worth because they, like some politicians, are unable to tell the truth.---

Last edited by COLVERT; 30th November 2020 at 10:42..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2020, 14:00   #5
Robti
Posted a thing or two

Thanks battery got me to get the car up to the mot station approximately 7 miles away and as long as it gets me back to my mothers I will be happy. The car will then be parked up till the better weather and started every few weeks then I will get a new battery when it’s back out for the summer
Old 29th November 2020, 16:07   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
Thanks battery got me to get the car up to the mot station approximately 7 miles away and as long as it gets me back to my mothers I will be happy. The car will then be parked up till the better weather and started every few weeks then I will get a new battery when it’s back out for the summer
OK.---Just one last thing. Opinions are divided on this. My opinion is like that of the greater number of opinions.

Unless the car is stored outside and is constantly getting rain on it then it's NOT necessary to start it now and then. However if it is started then it needs a good run. Something like 10 miles or so. Anything less will generate a variety of corrosive things inside the engine that only disappear once the engine has reached its correct working temperature. To store a car for any length of time needs the car to be raised off the ground and in some effective fashion kept dry.

Good luck with yours.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2020, 19:04   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
The car will then be parked up till the better weather and started every few weeks ...
Hi Robert,

I'm sorry to say that this is the worst thing you can possibly do. Machinery needs to be used regularly for efficiency and reliability but even occasionally driving the car for 10 miles or so will finish off your battery for good. The only way to preserve it is to leave your C-tek smart charger connected permanently but that won't stop mechanical deterioration. The simple answer is: don't lay it up, use it or sell it!

Simon