Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th March 2020, 16:57   #1
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Default Sunrrof with a mind of its own

I opened the sunroof today and when went to close it got almost to the point where it was shut and then it returned to the open position on its own

My first thought it felt a restriction so returned. If I hold the button in it returned perfectly with no hesitation or it seeming to struggle.

I have greased the rails and tried again but even after several times it still returns unless I keep my finger on the button.

Is there a sensor that could have gone out of adjustment or do I need to reset something?

I replaced the parts that allow the blind to move a couple of years ago and these are still working properly.

Thanks
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2020, 18:16   #2
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Mine does the same thing, I am sure it is electrical and not mechanical. It always closes at 2nd or 3rd attempt so have never bothered to source the fault. I'll watch with interest to see if anyone has the solution.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2020, 11:14   #3
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

How does the sunroof motor know when it is closed? Is there a microswitch or does it just sense the load?
Old 8th March 2020, 11:32   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Mine does this, never got round to fixing it but I found that if I pushed the wind deflector down with my fingers it would close all the way. (Tip: remove fingers at last second )This leads me to think the mechanism for the wind deflector requires checking/cleaning as the motor is meeting too much resistance and the antitrap mechanism operates

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 8th March 2020 at 15:44..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2020, 13:38   #5
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I believe the sunroof mechanism is similar to windows in as much as it auto reverses if there’s an abnormal resistance, like your arm sticking out for example. I mean you wouldn’t want to get it chopped.

My only experience with the 75 sunroof was my late Zircon model which when purchased the motor had been disconnected.
On inspection to the mechanism there were several clips broken/missing and I subsequently replaced these with a repair kit. I also thoroughly cleaned the runners and lubricated them with an appropriate silicon lubricant.

When I read the words “ I greased them” I think in horror really, have you used grease, surely not unless it was the special grease for such an application.

If cared for correctly the sunroof will open and close perfectly every time.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2020, 15:24   #6
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post

When I read the words “ I greased them” I think in horror really, have you used grease, surely not unless it was the special grease for such an application.
I used silicone grease, normal grease would be to sticky I would have thought?

I am tempted to strip and clean it all back and start with everything fresh. Maybe the old lubricant has attracted some dirt and causing the problem?
Old 8th March 2020, 15:49   #7
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Yes unfortunately any grease will attract dust etc. And eventually cause some stickiness. The roof panel is not too difficult to remove, there’s guides on YouTube which are extremely helpful on this.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2020, 11:36   #8
JerseySteve
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

There is a thread somewhere in the Forum that talks about resetting the mechanism. Tried it a couple of time but did not work for me. You may be luckier
JerseySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2020, 13:59   #9
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

That worked, opening it fully and then closing it by holding the button for a minimum of 15 seconds. Once the 15 seconds was up it tilted and now works as it used too.

That saved a job stripping and cleaning it. Maybe once the weather has improved I will strip it down and give it a good clean anyway.

Thanks, what would we do without this forum.