Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th June 2020, 16:15   #21
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The only time I could see anyone actually requiring an MOT extended, is if they were at home shielding from Covid, in which case they wouldn't be using the car in any event.

Anyone who needs to use their car, should irrespective of DVSA extension, have their car MOT carried out at the normal time, the extension is another example of an unnecessary piece of bureaucracy that causes confusion.

Brian

Maybe for cars, but depending on where you live MOT centres for a specific vehicle type may be in short supply. I've just been past my usual bike tester and he's still closed. Luckily with a 6 month extension that bike will be due on Christmas Day . Thanks for noting that the usual MOT continuation rules will apply. However I don't fancy having the MOT run out on Christmas Day every year. I'll get it booked for an MOT as soon as he's open again. I think it's a similar case with my usual Car tester - but there are more options in that case.

[QUOTE=coolguy;2818912]
Quote:
I'm not missing any point Alan, but if you are not venturing out of the house, then you don't need an MOT tested car.

Rarely disagree with you, Brian, but if your car is parked on the road, you still need an MOT even if you are not using it, just like RFL.

Good point because..

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I think this is the point of the extension. If the car did not have a valid MOT, then it couldnt be taxed (which reduces exchequer fund) and also couldnt be parked on the road (as some do not have the ability to park off road)....

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2020, 18:01   #22
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
I would be happy to challenge that one in Court. If the vehicle is taxed and insured and fails the MOT, you are not warned not to park on the road, but not to use it.

Sensibly and logically, not everybody has the opportunity to park their vehicle off-road and therefore the only Construction and Use enforcement possible is if the vehicle is in a dangerous condition.

Ironically, though the enforcement is never challenged, a motor vehicle is not a motor vehicle if it cannot be driven, i.e. battery disconnected renders it unusable.
I admire your sense of illogical thinking. So by the same logic, I can park on the road without tax, insurance. With bald tyres, because it’s not a motor vehicle ? Not saying you can’t tho with the lack of police about. Like to see you get away with that one in court.
Old 15th June 2020, 19:15   #23
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I admire your sense of illogical thinking. So by the same logic, I can park on the road without tax, insurance. With bald tyres, because it’s not a motor vehicle ? Not saying you can’t tho with the lack of police about. Like to see you get away with that one in court.
Luckily for my peace of my mind, I am always compliant. I should add, I am able stay compliant but some circumstances could make it difficult for some.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2020, 21:42   #24
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
I'm not missing any point Alan, but if you are not venturing out of the house, then you don't need an MOT tested car.

However if it is deemed acceptable to drive to a supermarket and spend an hour buying food, then there is no difference in driving to a garage and having your car MOT tested

Brian

Told you were missing something! Up here until last week there were no MOT stations open indeed no garages open! That was the bit you are missing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2020, 22:05   #25
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

I have just worked out what I should do get in the car drive 200 miles get the MOT drive the 200 miles home. Don’t think so!
The MOT extension is a required.fact! for those who were obeying the rules.
FOOD OR MEDICAL REASONS.
Where does the cars MOT fit into these two?
Why were your MOT stations open?
All of ours till last week were on the 80% scheme!
PLEASE EVERYONE KEEP SAFE,! YOU WERE GIVEN A SIX MONTH EXTENSION FOR A REASON.
YOUR CAR IS NOT FOOD OR MEDICINE!
Alan

alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2020, 22:16   #26
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
Told you were missing something! Up here until last week there were no MOT stations open indeed no garages open! That was the bit you are missing!

Wonder why Scottish garages were closed, everywhere else's were open, including NI. They were deemed to be essential - they were seen to be so, as their closure could impact other essential workers from getting to and from work.

(MOT stations in NI have been closed since before the lockdown though, but that was down to failures in equipment).

EDIT, Scottish garages did in fact remain open, although some closed to protect their staff. LINK

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 15th June 2020 at 22:24..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2020, 22:20   #27
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
I have just worked out what I should do get in the car drive 200 miles get the MOT drive the 200 miles home. Don’t think so!
FOOD OR MEDICAL REASONS.
Alan

what if you relied on your car to get food or medicine, but it was not roadworthy? - again another reason for garages being considered to be an essential service.

MOT testing station/garage staff could have been ill or self isolating with covid 19, leaving insufficient staff to carry out an MOT. That is why the extension was in place. A repair on the other hand, could be prioritised or carried out by another garage (who perhaps was not an MOT station).

Old 15th June 2020, 23:22   #28
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:

Well that will teach you to live in the land of the thin lipped witch of the north I suppose

This whole situation has been manufactured to create fear in the worst and most tasteless possible fashion, examining the minutiae of each and every aspect of the whole affair in sordid detail.

As a result people are now afraid of their own shadows, aided along by each vicarious news report.

Well back to the thread title, now the garages and MOT stations north of the border are open for business, if your MOT has been artificially extended, now is the time to have the inspection carried out.

And then we can have a discussion about the "New Normal" that everyone is now bleating on about..........what nonsense, abnormality rarely becomes normal, whatever spin is placed upon it

Best of luck with your MOT by the way

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2020, 23:42   #29
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
FOOD OR MEDICAL REASONS.
Alan

Alan, MOT stations are deemed as essential services, and as such have remained open throughout lockdown, even north of the border LINK

Now getting irate and using shouty capitals makes no odds really, if your car requires an MOT, you should have it carried out, and I'm fairly certain you wouldn't need to drive 200 miles to find an MOT station that is open either

In Northern Ireland the situation is different, and was so prior to the lockdown as all of their government run VTS were closed due to equipment defects.....that is a proper and valid reason for MOT exemption

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2020, 00:21   #30
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:

In Northern Ireland the situation is different, and was so prior to the lockdown as all of their government run VTS were closed due to equipment defects.....that is a proper and valid reason for MOT exemption

Brian
......... and you should have 'seen' the confusion that created! lol Pre-lockdown, you had to make the appointment, this would then be cancelled, and then you were given an extension. Then the lockdown started, just as the new equipment had been installed, ALL MOT stations closed, BUT they removed some of the newly installed equipment again to become drive through Covid testing stations! The extension became automatic then, but it wasnt clear, so people were left trying to book to obtain the extension, then panicking because no appointments were being taken. Add to that, the call centre staff were sent home due to social distancing requirements.