Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th June 2020, 06:30   #31
skellum
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Just noticed this thread.
I'm in Scotland (Stornoway) and had my ZT MOT'd on 18-05-20.
Test station open, as it has been all along.
Many of us have remained at work, perhaps even more than usual. With no public transport at all available for much of the time, garages have remained open to keep essential workers mobile and able to get to work.
Big well done to these guys.
My TF will be due at the start of August, and she'll be going for test 3 or 4 weeks ahead of time as she always does.
As for wee Nicola's stupid threat of a legally enforced 5 mile travel ban, she forgets we don't all live in the middle of Edinburgh.

The MOT extension was certainly well-meant but was rushed through with too little thought. If you're locked down and not working you don't need a car, so the MOT can wait, and if you're on the road your car should be fit for purpose.
The extension needs binned ASAP.
skellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2020, 07:48   #32
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

My wife's Fiesta was given an extension but my 75 was not, so being as the car is with Trikey at present for a modest list of jobs, we added the upcoming MoT to the list. She failed on rear drop links so is up there an extra week for the retest but no matter as the intermittent misfire made itself apparent while Andy was driving her which was a good thing.

The Rovering Member is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2020, 10:57   #33
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I made an enquiry to the "Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency" asking about the length of MOT's after extensions...their reply was:

"Thank you for your email enquiry dated 11 June 2020, concerning MOT’s after extensions.

Currently the expectation is that a full year will be added.

However this may change in order to return MOT numbers back to normal."

Quite what they mean about returning MOT numbers back to normal, I have no idea. Maybe they will stagger the certificates for 10, 11, 13, 14 or more months?
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2020, 14:03   #34
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

They won't want to miss out on 6 months revenue - still working out how to get it back I suspect!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2020, 14:27   #35
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

Our Fiesta's extension was six months.

The Rovering Member is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2020, 21:10   #36
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

All extensions were 6 months and I’m guessing they won’t be extended. Things are getting back to normal and most garages are now open

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2020, 02:45   #37
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

I have a little Inca yellow midget in the garage it is fully roadworthy and has not had an MOT for over fifteen years. I don’t want some young euro box trained mechanic poking at my pride and joy. She only makes the rare appearance on the road as I can no longer get out of her. The son in law takes her for a run a couple of times per month. She is tax and Mot exempt.
My Friend Dick who lives up in Forres uses for his daily transport his HRG it has not been In a test centre for many years. Again Mot exempt. I would doubt if there was a test centre able to test it. As to it’s roadworthy condition as Dick was HRGs chief design engineer there is no body better suited to look after the car.
Dick still works despite his age. He has just bought a Reliant Kitten Estate for going to and from work. He is the engineer who looks after the fleet of vehicles that are run by HRH The Queen. He looks after the family’s cars except those of her eldest son.
Guess when he hangs up his overalls his son will take over that job.
I guess the Government realised a long time ago that the people who own old cars. Look after them and in most cases the cars want for nothing.
I have never had a your car can’t leave the test centre fail I have had the odd track rod end or we can’t see the brake pipes for the underbody wax. I have even had a fail in a leaf spring because the could not inspect it for its factory fitted leather boot.
I wonder how many historic vehicles there are on our roads today who don’t get an annual test as it is not required.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2020, 06:58   #38
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
I have a little Inca yellow midget in the garage it is fully roadworthy and has not had an MOT for over fifteen years. I don’t want some young euro box trained mechanic poking at my pride and joy. She only makes the rare appearance on the road as I can no longer get out of her. The son in law takes her for a run a couple of times per month. She is tax and Mot exempt.
My Friend Dick who lives up in Forres uses for his daily transport his HRG it has not been In a test centre for many years. Again Mot exempt. I would doubt if there was a test centre able to test it. As to it’s roadworthy condition as Dick was HRGs chief design engineer there is no body better suited to look after the car.
Dick still works despite his age. He has just bought a Reliant Kitten Estate for going to and from work. He is the engineer who looks after the fleet of vehicles that are run by HRH The Queen. He looks after the family’s cars except those of her eldest son.
Guess when he hangs up his overalls his son will take over that job.
I guess the Government realised a long time ago that the people who own old cars. Look after them and in most cases the cars want for nothing.
I have never had a your car can’t leave the test centre fail I have had the odd track rod end or we can’t see the brake pipes for the underbody wax. I have even had a fail in a leaf spring because the could not inspect it for its factory fitted leather boot.
I wonder how many historic vehicles there are on our roads today who don’t get an annual test as it is not required.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How old is your friend Dick, Alan?

I'm just curious as the last HRG left the factory in 1956, he must be knocking on a bit now

You may have not noted before, I was talking about cars which require an MOT should be taken for one.

Even in the case of an MOT exempt car, I would suggest it is a good idea to have it tested periodically.........I don't care how good any owner might think their car is, it is always a good idea to have an independent inspection carried out

I have a beautiful Tecalemit decelerometer which I use both in my older fleet, and modern to check braking before presenting for test, but I suspect most people won't have access to this type of gear.

Only yesterday I was changing tyres on one car, Goodyear Grand Prix S, these were not in any way "a major contribution to road safety" far from it.

Looked fine, lots of tread, but the inner sidewalls were disintegrating, so how many people who's mobility isn't as good as it once was, would look at the shiny paintwork, the polished chrome, and the pristine outward visible part of the tyre and pop to the shops, or a show, or indeed anywhere?

How many cars are there lurking under dust sheets in garages, that are used sparingly I wonder?, and as to a car that has not been independently inspected for 15 years, and the condescending remark about the ability of a current MOT examiner, smacks of the sort of self congratulatory foolishness that is often seen at classic car shows.

I pride myself on being able to maintain my car to a relatively high standard, but I'm not as foolhardy as to think I know it all, nor dismiss as unnecessary what is after all simply a fresh pair of eyes that may spot something I've missed

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2020, 12:39   #39
Phil-T4

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
Alan
About 90% of MOT exempt vehicles that i do MOT (insurance requirement) actually fail with dangerous body rot, yes they look good at first glance but tapping with the official plastic corrosion assessment tool soon produces holes you can put your fist through!

Hiding behind the exemption is plain stupidity imho.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2020, 18:42   #40
Gren 24
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE CDTI

My Rover 75 Tourer MOT was last April, I have not used it much. But with the 6 month coming to an end soon I thought I would get it MOT now. It failed on parking brake near side inoperative, I think this was becouse it as been standing. Had all breakes cleaned and the brake pips cleaned and greased and all under cleaned and regeased to. I now have a full MOT for another year. And know my Tourer is safe to use and drive.