Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th June 2020, 22:55   #41
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I feel the same way as you. We usually spend around half our mileage driving on the continent, but not this year. So would not want an examiner to tell me the car is ok when it wasn’t. I know a few people who I would not want to be within their car because........ well you can guess what I mean. And you can bet your bottom dollar, there are more unserviced vehicles on the roads now with this stupid extension to the mot being carried out. Let’s hope the police get their act together when the extension ends and start checking for mots more rigorously.
Old 18th June 2020, 03:52   #42
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I thought that no MOT was one of the checks that pinged the onboard ANPR system, so the Police are already checking.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2020, 06:49   #43
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
.................................And you can bet your bottom dollar, there are more unserviced vehicles on the roads now with this stupid extension to the mot being carried out. Let’s hope the police get their act together when the extension ends and start checking for mots more rigorously.........................
I don't think the "extension" is stupid, but reliant on compliance by the public in maintaining their vehicles. The failure there is relying on the general public.

This is no different to running or maintaining a vehicle once a MOT test is obtained. Any regulation or restriction or security is jeopardized once the user is involved.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2020, 08:41   #44
skellum
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Even in 'normal' times not all MOTs are the same.
A few months back our youngest bought an Astra from a friend of a friend. It came with a years MOT, issued the day before. Next morning I took it for four new tyres, and the next weekend replaced the worst looking brake pads I've seen.
Garage in question now closed, I'm pleased to say, and the Astra gone to the great tin-can making factory in the sky. The troubling thing is, there are folk more than willing to accept a duff MOT certificate to keep their car on the road. Trusting people to do the right thing and keep their car roadworthy whilst the Test is delayed really does mean there will be more unsafe cars on the road.
I recognise that I am fortunate enough to be able to run my vehicles properly, but with unemployment up, and cash tight for many, the MOT extension will become a temptation for some folk to scrimp even on basics like tyres.
skellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2020, 10:01   #45
mbev51
Banned

Removed

The French separate garages from their Mot (CT). It always seemed to me to be a good idea.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2020, 17:57   #46
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
The French separate garages from their Mot (CT). It always seemed to me to be a good idea.
Yep, can we have two year MOT's too

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2020, 18:09   #47
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
How old is your friend Dick, Alan?

I'm just curious as the last HRG left the factory in 1956, he must be knocking on a bit now

You may have not noted before, I was talking about cars which require an MOT should be taken for one.

Even in the case of an MOT exempt car, I would suggest it is a good idea to have it tested periodically.........I don't care how good any owner might think their car is, it is always a good idea to have an independent inspection carried out

I have a beautiful Tecalemit decelerometer which I use both in my older fleet, and modern to check braking before presenting for test, but I suspect most people won't have access to this type of gear.

Only yesterday I was changing tyres on one car, Goodyear Grand Prix S, these were not in any way "a major contribution to road safety" far from it.

Looked fine, lots of tread, but the inner sidewalls were disintegrating, so how many people who's mobility isn't as good as it once was, would look at the shiny paintwork, the polished chrome, and the pristine outward visible part of the tyre and pop to the shops, or a show, or indeed anywhere?

How many cars are there lurking under dust sheets in garages, that are used sparingly I wonder?, and as to a car that has not been independently inspected for 15 years, and the condescending remark about the ability of a current MOT examiner, smacks of the sort of self congratulatory foolishness that is often seen at classic car shows.

I pride myself on being able to maintain my car to a relatively high standard, but I'm not as foolhardy as to think I know it all, nor dismiss as unnecessary what is after all simply a fresh pair of eyes that may spot something I've missed

Brian

Dick is a very young 94 he moved up to Forres to work for the Rolls dealer but after he had bought the old dentists surgery and house the dealership changed the conditions of his employment.
Dick set up his own business servicing Rolls and Bentleys. The dealership that had taken Dick to this part of the world closed within seven years of Dicks move. Dick has two other interesting vehicles a WW2 ambulance and a personal carrier from the same time, he has been threatening to give it a new radiator core for the past 25 years as it overheats after 40 miles.
Dick is the old school engineer who has forgotten more than most people will ever know. He assures me that he will live for ever. Though we both know that will not be the case. Sadly when Dick goes all his knowledge will die with him, In just the same way that went Duncan passed all the knowledge he amassed with Bradford and BL was gone for ever. Duncan left his young wife his original midget, his Jupiter and Javalin. His two Austin Rover concept cars, the third cooper s built and his mid engine metro which he designed. There was also his daily transport a fully stage prepared Japanese thing. There was also a traction engine in the big barn.
Duncan passed nearly ten years ago now. Both him and Dick were from the same time. A different kind of engineer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2020, 18:18   #48
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Your wooden box would let you test Dicks HRG, Rolls also did the same thing up until the 70s the front road wheels rotation drove the servos for the rear brakes. I have to confess that the spice tourer has not been to the MOT station mainly as it is closed still and Halfords and Kwik Fit who are open now, I would not let near any of my cars. I want a man in his Fifty’s looking at my new project. Not a twenty year old who does not know what a carb is. No it’s not pasta.
Alan

Old 18th June 2020, 18:39   #49
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Brian, all my cars always get a second and often a third pair of eyes looking over them every year. I can’t believe you had a set of Good Years to change did the owner not realise that a tyre should be changed every four to six years due to sidewall deterioration.
You are correct so many of the gentry from the classic circuit don’t realise that every part has a usable life. I used to have a piece of galvanised leg from a car which looked perfect then you took the rubber end cap off and the true damage became obvious to everyone with their glasses on.
Actually when I think about it I can believe you got a set of SP4s.
I used to use the Government test station at Lowmoss to get my cars tested, sadly they stopped doing private cars except in dispute cases.
As was said in a previous post there are some Garages out there who miss things like slick tyres.
My caravan gets New tyres everyday three years regardless of mileage as the van is close to the max weight design of the tyre. Also it spends long periods sitting on the same bit of tread stressing one part of the side walls.
Alan

Old 18th June 2020, 18:49   #50
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Are you sure they were Grand Prix S? They may have been classic reproductions.