Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th June 2020, 19:50   #51
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
About 90% of MOT exempt vehicles that i do MOT (insurance requirement) actually fail with dangerous body rot, yes they look good at first glance but tapping with the official plastic corrosion assessment tool soon produces holes you can put your fist through!

Hiding behind the exemption is plain stupidity imho.

Had just this fault on the javelin about eight years ago the testing stick went through the floor in about a dozen places.
Boy were the Garage sick when I took them to the small claims court for criminal damage to a beautiful 4mm Birch wooden floor.
Said floor was six weeks old. I am not saying you would make that mistake, and I agree many so called classics have deep seated rot.
Incidentally an MOT is not a requirement on a classic, vintage, or veteran, policy. But of course you meant a requirement of a standard car insurance policy. There will be many cars about eg Dicks HRG that you could not MOT as all you are allowed to do to his car is put it up on a 4 poster stand back and look and admire.
Then his personal carrier whoops have Dick drive it over a pit and admire the 6” thick armour or look at the 8” thick armour from standing next to it. You could always fail it on bald metal tracks.
Everything has an exception. Having restored classic cars for over fifty years and built miniature steam locomotives 3 1/2” 5” and 7 1/4” gauge in my spare time when I wasn’t working my day job or Marshaling at race tracks around the world, going over what is now GTAM and GTPRO, LMP1 and LMP2 in Le-Mans town Square on the Monday and Tuesday of the 24 Hour week to make sure they are rule compliment. I have a reasonable eye for what is right and for what is verging on infringement. The standards we checked cars to for the ACO is far greater than a road MOT.
Sadly I now have to leave the work to others which gives me the independent check I require on my cars.
Classic GT cars we used to ultrasound the stress points and stressed panels to make sure there was no rot.
My cars are for the moment looked after by an ex Lotus pit mechanic. Who does everything I an unable to do myself and MOTs the car. Sadly everything I can’t do myself is rapidly approaching everything even bending down to check tyre pressures presents the problem of getting back up.
My problem is that whilst I am happy for John to work on any of my cars some of the boys he employs are not as particular as he is.
His boys come back off the Government Scheme either next week or the week after so the spice Tourer will get its MOT then.
Taken advantage of three or four weeks of the Six month extension. Getting the car tested when it is safe under the Scottish Governments COVID restrictions to have the car tested.
The Midget is nor tested as it is exempt it still gets looked over every year by the same man as would test it. And it wants for nothing, though there is a man who has offered me an obscene amount of money for it despite it being in a 70s colour, and not original. Think it may be funding a few family Holidays and the spice tourer. After all why keep what you can no longer drive.
Keep up the good work doing tests properly, I wish every station would do that, but there are many who either by accident or for incentive don’t do the job properly. Or have not got the required knowledge to test a car of a certain build or type, and don’t feel able to ask for help for fear of ridicule.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2020, 20:15   #52
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
Are you sure they were Grand Prix S? They may have been classic reproductions.

They were Grand Prix S, no two ways about it, they had replaced a set of Goodyear G800 Custom Rib, which in turn had replaced Dunlop D75 520 13.

Three sets of tyres in 49 years and less than 45,000 miles, and the elderly owner of the car had the dates they were fitted in the handwritten vehicle log

The history file included the petrol rationing coupons issued to the car in the 1970's.

This car lives in a heated carpeted garage, on hardwood blocks for the majority of the year with the wheels off the floor, I've no idea why the inner sidewalls of the tyres were so poor.

Let's just say I don't expect the Michelin Energy tyres I fitted to last as well as the Goodyears did, but they will be a whole lot safer that's for certain.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2020, 21:00   #53
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

How can anybody expect tyres to last that length of time. Though I remember a Rebel owner going into o garage in the north of Scotland in the 90s as one of his original crossplys was damaged. The garage owner went up into the loft of the garage and came back with a tyre still wrapped in its white well not so white transport tape. Once unwrapped there was a very sticky crossply tyre the paper label that had been attached dated the new tyre as being sent to the garage in 1968. No I am not kidding.
The state of the inside of the tyre would be caused by the oil coming out of the plastic content of the tyre. There is not very much rubber in a modern tyre. Once the solvents and oils come out of the tyre they would lie on the sidewall of the tyre if it was stored lying flat or on a wheel pole. Few people use wheel racks even on dry stored cars they are usually pushed under the car.
I thought all garages were carpeted! Sorry had to add that.
If they were stored flat ie on their sides then the release of the oils in the tyre would cause the side walls to degrade. People amaze me. Prior to retiring my daily commute was 35 miles each way. I took a 6 month post to sort out a Friend who was needing help sorting out her Health and Safety requirements 3 years after I retired that involved a 83 mile each way commute. That combined with a couple of trips to Le-Mans every year and my general driving about meant I was replacing a top brand tyre at least once every 9 months, I won’t drive with less than 3mm of tread or a tyre more than 5 years old from purchase or 6 from manufacture.
Am I the one doing it wrong Brian should I just keep running them till I see the fabric and then give a coat of black paint.
Alan

Old 18th June 2020, 21:05   #54
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Brian
I’ve just ventured into the office found my petrol ration coupons for the four cars and the bike I ran during the oil shortage in the 70s,
Alan

Old 18th June 2020, 21:14   #55
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Am I the one doing it wrong Brian should I just keep running them till I see the fabric and then give a coat of black paint.
Alan

Just use them until the air is showing through the tread Alan

My own personal record from new to worn out, was a set of Michelin XZX on a Morris 575 pickup.........81,000 miles, in fourteen months.

Mind you that was when the legal limit was 1mm

Brian
Old 18th June 2020, 21:17   #56
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Brian tell the truth that was a painted mm
Alan

Old 18th June 2020, 21:57   #57
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Brian,
On the 75s both tourers and saloons to 3mm I get about 27k from my summer tyres usually energy or The dreaded F1 boys.
I run firestone M+S in the winter and get about 20k from them though remember they start off with nearly 11mm when new.
Any idea what the average 75 owner is getting.
Best I ever got was a set Michelin tyres on the Javelin. At the time all I could get was crossplys or taxi tyres limited to 60mph I wrote to Michelin in France as I had contacts with them through the ACO. I explained my problem and received a holding letter. Then about 5 weeks later I received an international call asking me to go to Glasgow Airports Freight depot the next day after 3pm. Margaret covered for me at work while I drove the 6 miles from the office to the Airport there I was given 5 brand new speed rated Radial tyres that Michelin had sent to me FOC. I fitted them to the wheels that Saturday. The recorded mileage on the speedo was 64,887 five years later during which time the tyres had been moved around the car as we did in those days. I had to buy a new set of tyres for the car they were fitted with the speedo reading 21,441miles. So that was a shade over 56,000 miles on a set of free tyres just after that I had to do her rings again. The car had been a Reps car before I bought her. The garage I bought her from had the engine bores and bearings done to +20. She was rattling something awful so I got her for a really good price. We were going on Holiday two weeks later down to Bude.
I picked her up on the Thursday night the following Friday night I was pulling out my first Flat 4 1600cc engine stripped it down to find they had reground the crank and honed the bores to +20 but had fitted standard shells and pistons. Saturday morning saw me getting my Grandfather to run me to Piston & Components to get a set of +20 shells and pistons.
Back to the house rebuild the engine which was sitting on a set of pram wheels, push her back into the car bolt everything back up and bless my cotton socks a lovely quiet smoke free car.
It was a good holiday that year.
So you beat me by 25k and I ran them down to about 2mm.
You would never get a company doing that sort of thing now.
After doing the engine for the second time I sold the car to a school friend whom I had thought to drive.
At that point Cyclops my first 75 came into my life.
Alan
Old 18th June 2020, 22:26   #58
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Brian,
On the 75s both tourers and saloons to 3mm I get about 27k from my summer tyres usually energy or The dreaded F1 boys.
I run firestone M+S in the winter and get about 20k from them though remember they start off with nearly 11mm when new.
Any idea what the average 75 owner is getting.
Best I ever got was a set Michelin tyres on the Javelin. At the time all I could get was crossplys or taxi tyres limited to 60mph I wrote to Michelin in France as I had contacts with them through the ACO. I explained my problem and received a holding letter. Then about 5 weeks later I received an international call asking me to go to Glasgow Airports Freight depot the next day after 3pm. Margaret covered for me at work while I drove the 6 miles from the office to the Airport there I was given 5 brand new speed rated Radial tyres that Michelin had sent to me FOC. I fitted them to the wheels that Saturday. The recorded mileage on the speedo was 64,887 five years later during which time the tyres had been moved around the car as we did in those days. I had to buy a new set of tyres for the car they were fitted with the speedo reading 21,441miles. So that was a shade over 56,000 miles on a set of free tyres just after that I had to do her rings again. The car had been a Reps car before I bought her. The garage I bought her from had the engine bores and bearings done to +20. She was rattling something awful so I got her for a really good price. We were going on Holiday two weeks later down to Bude.
I picked her up on the Thursday night the following Friday night I was pulling out my first Flat 4 1600cc engine stripped it down to find they had reground the crank and honed the bores to +20 but had fitted standard shells and pistons. Saturday morning saw me getting my Grandfather to run me to Piston & Components to get a set of +20 shells and pistons.
Back to the house rebuild the engine which was sitting on a set of pram wheels, push her back into the car bolt everything back up and bless my cotton socks a lovely quiet smoke free car.
It was a good holiday that year.
So you beat me by 25k and I ran them down to about 2mm.
You would never get a company doing that sort of thing now.
After doing the engine for the second time I sold the car to a school friend whom I had thought to drive.
At that point Cyclops my first 75 came into my life.
Alan
30,000 miles per set of Dunlop SP01 on the ZT, less than half that on the Uniroyal Rainsport 3.

My winter boots are Uniroyal MS66, they weren't fitted last year and even though they have 6+ mm remaining, they might be used to wheel the shell of my wife's 75 away when I scrap it in the very near future.

I always liked the look of the Javelin mind you, the rake of the back end was very stylish, especially compared the the family car I was carted around in during my youth.

Brian
Old 18th June 2020, 22:51   #59
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Going back to the start of this thread, am I right in assuming that recorded date the DVLA jas for the mot will be automatically extended for up to 6 months if I don't mot the car?
The mot runs out mid July.
The tax runs out end of August. Will I be able to take out new road tax from the start of September?

The queation is to some extent hypothetical as I would intend to take the car for mot before it expires, but if I don't................?
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2020, 23:08   #60
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Going back to the start of this thread, am I right in assuming that recorded date the DVLA jas for the mot will be automatically extended for up to 6 months if I don't mot the car?
The mot runs out mid July.
The tax runs out end of August. Will I be able to take out new road tax from the start of September?

The queation is to some extent hypothetical as I would intend to take the car for mot before it expires, but if I don't................?
The MOT on my TF automatically updated six days before the expiry date, I checked using the online .GOV mot checker, and it had been extended by six months.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote