Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th November 2020, 14:04   #11
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Yep, you couldn't set isopon a straight one.
Old 16th November 2020, 05:42   #12
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
From Earl's Court, a warning about foreign imports
Princess Anne was there, guess what car she had
I know I will have my years mixed up hear, But I seem to remember Reliant Motors giving HRH the all glass wrap round Scimitar. It was the only all glass wrap round the company made, and I think she gave it to a motor muesum a few years later. I have to confess I cant remember which muesum she gave it to. I am reasonably sure it was 73, but with age the years are begining to all run together.

Alan
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 06:11   #13
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgies Dad View Post
The Regal is nice But the Robin tells a story as it has a brass cast owners club badge on the grill. Now that badge is very rare there were only ever 40 of these made. I had one on my Kitten estate and the registrar of the kitten register has one in a display case of Owners Club issued goodies. that rases the question where are the other 37?
Yes I admit to owning a Reliant Kitten Estate I was custodian of TGP 190R for several years we wone several Road Rallies and Autotests together. We even featured on the Television competing in the Doune Classic Chalange in a programme hosted by Jenny Falkner. I had Jenny as my Passanger in the team challange. The poor camera man and all his kit were in the back and the loading bay in the back. Thinking back on it now the silverware is kicking about the house somewhere. Yes we won the event Two Kitten estates and a Rebal Saloon the other two drivers in the team were Adam Grieve in his Kitten Estate and Phill Hallum in his very early Rebal saloon.
Yes I admit that there have been other cars in my life other than Austin Rovers. Though since my first cyclops there has always been a BL car in the family as well as an other From 64 through to 92 we always had a Mini in the family. I have just noticed the picture of my cooper S flying is not on the office wall. will need to investigate further.
Alan
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2020, 08:15   #14
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
..... It's a crying shame what happened to all those fantastic marques we had back in those days.
"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."
Winston Churchill

We all "know" what happened.

Up to my teenage years we had several British cars. My memory of them is my dad spending a great deal of time mending them. The regular servicing was expected, most of the stuff being changed/stripped and rebuilt etc. wasn't.

We eventually found out why he didn’t go into the Forces during WW2. Turned out he was making the gauges they used to make Spitfires! So he knew a bit about engineering.

Skip forwards a few decades and his last car was a.....Toyota Yaris. How much spannering did it need in the years he owned it?

None.

He said it was the best car he ever owned.

And I think that says it all.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2020, 08:59   #15
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."
Winston Churchill

We all "know" what happened.

Up to my teenage years we had several British cars. My memory of them is my dad spending a great deal of time mending them. The regular servicing was expected, most of the stuff being changed/stripped and rebuilt etc. wasn't.

We eventually found out why he didn’t go into the Forces during WW2. Turned out he was making the gauges they used to make Spitfires! So he knew a bit about engineering.

Skip forwards a few decades and his last car was a.....Toyota Yaris. How much spannering did it need in the years he owned it?

None.

He said it was the best car he ever owned.

And I think that says it all.
Yes, one couldn't go wrong getting a Jap car such as Datsun - more equipment etc but usually less visually appealing. Of course all vehicles are better. My ZT-260 is the best Austin made to date!

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 20th November 2020 at 09:29.. Reason: spelling
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2020, 09:10   #16
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Yes, one couldn't go wrong getting a Jap car such as Datsun - more equipment etc but usually less visually appealing. Of course all vehicles are better. My ZT-260 is the beat Austin made to dATE!

Kev

Well they did raid the metro parts bin to build it 😭

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19th November 2020, 16:47   #17
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Yes, one couldn't go wrong getting a Jap car such as Datsun - more equipment etc but usually less visually appealing....... Kev
In one of my jobs we were "paired up". My partner was Dave from Dudley. Apart from the fact that if we visited businesses in Dudley I couldn't understand a word that was said he was a nice, decent bloke. He drove a Metro.

The Garage he bought it from changed from BL to I think Toyota or maybe Datsun. Skip forwards 12 months and over half the mechanics had been laid off because there was nothing for them to do. Cars came in, were serviced and went out again. The next time they saw them was at the next service.

Sad but true.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2020, 00:18   #18
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

A few things in the Vid stand out for me. First being the music, Eye Level as played by Simon Park and his orchestra or so it sounds like - best version for me and one of my favourite pieces of music. The Jensen Interceptor, a car which I aspired to as a schoolboy and still admire but never really affordable or practicable for my needs. And re PC back in the day, is it my ears playing tricks or did the narrator really say "velly good" in his reference to a Japanese car?
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2020, 03:59   #19
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Growing up in our road their was a a 3 litre GT mk 1 Capri a Jensen intercepter . Reliant scimitar mini woody traveler . Mk 1 cortina plus a few others
And obviously that was just one period as I remembered it.
My dad owned a garage and that is where I wasted all my childhood days . The smell and sounds of all those cars that came into the garage I can still remember welding card that where due their second MOT was common place.
Lancia and Alfa Romeo welding for 1st MOT was common.
Then the Datsuns and Toyota's ect appear with 12mm bolts same rot but mechanically brilliant .fell to bits while you were looking at them but never broke down.
Now they don't rust or break down .
My dad would drive anything
As he worked on cars every day I think he lost passion for them.
I would say why have we got another different car could be anything from a hilman husky brush painted to a jaguar.
And is answer would be ? It runs.

I'm sure the 75 must be the best British car ever built
BMW made sure of it