Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th August 2021, 10:24   #31
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
Rimmers can get you a new key
I'd regard that as the last option as you'll pay through the nose for it though. Last figure I remember is a key through official channels was well over £200 plus VAT, takes 2-3 weeks as it has to come from BMW in Germany.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 18:44   #32
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

The last time I did this through the not so local dealer I was charged £95 for the key with its blade cut to suit. The programming of the key to the car and the programming of the car to the key was charged out at Half an hours labour. This brought the total cost up to just a shade over £200 after the VAT man got his cut.
We had problems goodness it was three and a half years ago it Pauline’s Saloon we managed to buy a key from a ebay dealer it was £37.50. It came with both bar codes which I am told is a must unless you just want a clone key. I had a number in my phone described as car key locksmith I called the number and he came out to the house and for £50 cash programmed the keys including moving the drivers seat to the correct drivers position for each of us on the key. A fantastic deal. But he stressed that you must have the bar codes. A very very very nice man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 19:02   #33
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becs512 View Post
Don't judge me but, I only had one key....

And now all my keys, including the Rover key have gone missing !!!
Can anyone help tell me how to get a brand new key..and programmed so, I can open and use my car?
Feeling very stupid...surely it can't cost more than the car I love is worth?
If you cannot find the key drop key guru Big Russ a PM

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2021, 07:28   #34
Becs512
Loves to post

MG ZT

Default Phew....

Keys were eventually found...under the bed...🤷NAUGHTY WORD-♀️
But, ordering a spare key is the order of the day now...
Becs512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2021, 14:33   #35
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

Lost keys, one of the most frustrating things, although usually its my mobile phone with me! I remember the other half's main key for her Astra disappeared and we could not find it anywhere. Fast forward 2 years and we were moving house so the usual sorting of stuff that had been hoisted up into the loft was happening and I opened up one cardboard box of old kids clothes to find said keys just sitting there right on top of everything.
Maxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2021, 19:56   #36
canan
Avid contributor

Rover 75 AUTO Connoisseur SE

Update:
After cb750chris updated the circuit board on my fob, I got a blank key off eBay for about £4. I then attempted to swap the blade from the old key fob to the new one. Most videos make it seem so easy to do.

Unfortunately the old blade and new blade are slightly different shape at the top so would not fit back into the fob. This solution explains the issue. I didnt want to go through all this trouble, espcially as the forum suggests made I could get it cut by a locksmith.

I went to Timpsom's first aand as other have found, they refused. Company policy was to by the blank from them. But I sent a few emails out to other locksmiths and got some positive replies.

I found a locksmith in Hendon, North West London who couldn't find the key details on the computer. But he looked at an old manual and had to take the key into the back of the shop where he had a old key cutting machine. It worked! He cut it for £18.50 . I will be going back to cut to second key
canan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2021, 08:35   #37
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canan View Post
Update:
After cb750chris updated the circuit board on my fob, I got a blank key off eBay for about £4. I then attempted to swap the blade from the old key fob to the new one. Most videos make it seem so easy to do.

Unfortunately the old blade and new blade are slightly different shape at the top so would not fit back into the fob. This solution explains the issue. I didnt want to go through all this trouble, espcially as the forum suggests made I could get it cut by a locksmith.

I went to Timpsom's first aand as other have found, they refused. Company policy was to by the blank from them. But I sent a few emails out to other locksmiths and got some positive replies.

I found a locksmith in Hendon, North West London who couldn't find the key details on the computer. But he looked at an old manual and had to take the key into the back of the shop where he had a old key cutting machine. It worked! He cut it for £18.50 . I will be going back to cut to second key

If a key cutting place says they don't have a machine that will do one that old. Just tell them it is a BMW key blade, BMW still use the blade design to this day.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote