Notices

Old 17th August 2021, 13:00   #11
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
the speed camera is only to make money........from law breakers. Lets not fine law breakers.

macafee2
Taking money from those who break the law is fine, I object to speed cameras being used to generate millions of pounds. If they were used sensibly (Average speed 20mph around schools) Then no one would object, they are revenue generators, it’s as simple as that.

Let’s have more police on the street targeting all types of crime, I’ve said it before, a speed camera can’t clear up the mess following a crash.
Old 17th August 2021, 13:54   #12
ricardo65
This is my second home

mgzt cdti 160.mgzt 1.8t mg6 1.8t

Thanked 1,652 Times in 969 Posts

The road out of my village is 30mph on a main A road this is both ways for a average of 8 miles with the odd 40mph chucked in for good luck there is nothing but fields no street lamps etc this has always been a 60mph road it is very hard to stick to 30 mph as we are in the counryside the B roads leading off the A roads are straight into a 40mph then 60mph does this make sense no not at all, this is patrolled by unmarked and also the safety van so this can only be about revenue and not safety

Sent from my VFD 730 using Tapatalk

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213906
ricardo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2021, 14:18   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Taking money from those who break the law is fine, I object to speed cameras being used to generate millions of pounds. If they were used sensibly (Average speed 20mph around schools) Then no one would object, they are revenue generators, it’s as simple as that.

Let’s have more police on the street targeting all types of crime, I’ve said it before, a speed camera can’t clear up the mess following a crash.
That is a bit of a contradiction isn't it?
"Taking money from those who break the law is fine" that is just what a speed camera achieves but then you say "I object to speed cameras being used to generate millions of pounds."

I agree they generate money and perhaps that is the sole reason for them but and it is a big but, if drivers are silly enough to speed then they get fined. the government has just found an easy way to earn money, whos' fault is that?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2021, 14:29   #14
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
That is a bit of a contradiction isn't it?
"Taking money from those who break the law is fine" that is just what a speed camera achieves but then you say "I object to speed cameras being used to generate millions of pounds."

I agree they generate money and perhaps that is the sole reason for them but and it is a big but, if drivers are silly enough to speed then they get fined. the government has just found an easy way to earn money, whos' fault is that?

macafee2

Not a contradiction at all, some money generated from cameras in appropriate places would be ok.

Millions from cameras just because it’s an easy target is wrong in my opinion, I have no objection to a camera being used for safety purposes, the motorist is an easy target to earn billions of pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17th August 2021, 15:42   #15
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Where does one differentiate between "making money" and "law breakers". Safety comes from the creation of "the set limit" and the breaking of a law when enforced, creates the income.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2021, 17:01   #16
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

The times I see a cameravan facing uphill where oncoming motorists are more likely to roll over the limit by a few mph unless fully focussed on the speedo,never located further along where the road is flat and the same limit applies,absolute cynical revinue raising.Very easy to get distracted from the speedo while concentrating on everything else you need to be aware of on our busy roads.No reasonable person would have any issue with reckless dangerous drivers being removed from the road but the authorities have found a niche to raise big bucks from the 'generally' law abiding, solvent motorist.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2021, 17:37   #17
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

I object strongly to speed cameras as I believe they are just a way to raise revenue, as such I refuse to pay any fines. I do this by sticking to the speed limit.
I know it's boring but thus far I have paid £0 in speeding fines.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2021, 18:27   #18
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Yes, I flash.

I do it to warn others of the vans as I believe them to be revenue raisers. I usually also sound the horn on the car as I pass to startle the person inside the van, I'm a vindictive hater of the abuses directed at road users by things such as the use of speed cameras, you can't get a Police officer when your car gets stolen, your house burgled or many other things requiring a Police presence, you get a crime number and that's it, pathetic but there's always manpower for revenue grabbing. The Police are now the fourth emergency service behind the AA, when you call the AA they turn up.

Last edited by Saga Lout; 29th August 2021 at 18:40..
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2021, 18:31   #19
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Why do you want those people that break the law to keep their driving licence?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
They are breaking the law and so they should face the consequences.
Charles Dickens is quoted as saying "the law is an ass" which it is in this case.

They tell us that "speed kills". No it doesn't. It's "driving without due care and attention" which kills.

You are passing through motorway road works at 1.30 a.m. It is a dry, clear night and the nearest vehicle to you is extremely distant. There are no men at work yet the 50 mph speed limit prevails. If you break it you cause no danger to anyone else or yourself yet you have "broken the law" and must "face the consequences".

In that situation Ian, yes, the driver should keep his or her driving licence and to Nick I say: are the consequences proportionate to the alleged offence? That driver will have his or her insurance premiums raised for years to come as well as the expense of the "speed awareness" course.

Speed cameras are a blunt, inflexible instrument which do not take account of the circumstances. An ill-judged overtaking manoeuvre in an urban area is potentially far more dangerous but where's the authorities' answer to that?

Simon
Old 17th August 2021, 18:37   #20
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
I object strongly to speed cameras as I believe they are just a way to raise revenue, as such I refuse to pay any fines. I do this by sticking to the speed limit.
I know it's boring but thus far I have paid £0 in speeding fines.
The vast majority of considerate drivers set out with the same good intentions Simon.However life's stresses and even the many other considerations while driving mean we cannot isolate the thought of watching our Speedo 100% of the time.Most experienced drivers have a subconscious feel for what speed is safe in the particular circumstances they find themselves in.By that I don't mean they are making up their own speed limit,just that they may go slightly over what the sign says.I hope your focus on the limit continues to serve you well.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote