Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th August 2021, 19:52   #11
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleun View Post
I am changing my filters and wondered if I should purchase a new pcv filter as usual or I have just seen that you can fit a pcv bypass kit and do away with changing filter every time you do a service, just wondered what you think and if anyone has any experience on having a bypass fitted, many thanks.

The Land Rover PCV filter costs anything from £3.50 to a tenner, takes an extra ten mins maximum when you are doing the air filter.
Cheep at twice the price. You can get filters and modified filter kits in this same price band. Well worth changing every big service.
I have memories of a gent driving in my drive shouting help every time he reved his diesel the dip stick popped up. To keep him happy I put his car down the side of the house where the caravan usually sits in the winter. Went to remove the bottom engine tray. Whoops no tray fitted. He said he had been trying to get one but nobody had one. I asked him if he wanted a new one at this point he was raving. Sprayed the engine with Gunk let it sit then pressure washed the engine and engine bay.
Put a flush into the oil and let the car idle for 20 mins. Then Drained the oil changed the oil filter air filter cabin filter, fuel filter and PCV filter fitted a new magnetic. Sump plug and my last Coughtree under tray gave the engine 7 litres of oil and a 750ml shot of slick 50. The whole job took under an hour. The engine now has no crank case back pressure for all the parts including the magnetic sump plug and car under tray the car is now running on 5w40 synthetic engine oil total cost for everything was £153.70.
He left a very happy man and nice clean engine compartment. All five filters changed and a new engine under tray. He was very surprised as it was a Rover dealer who looked after his car up to that point. I now see it twice a year for its winter and summer oil changes and services. I don’t think any of his service work including his MOT service
Last year was a big one with two front bottom wish bones and mounts along with drop links needing done. I was embarrassed having to charge him just under £300 for the work. Interestingly she still has no crank case back pressure. He tells me that since I first worked on his car he has not had to put any oil in his car where before he was adding a litre every couple of weeks.
Keep the crank case filter (PCV FILTER) all internal combustion engines should have a crank case filters.
Remember your old mini launched in 1959 had a rocker cover oil filler in it that was meant to be changed every 30,000 miles .
Every A series engine the black cap cost under a tenner and back in the 60s they under £3. Everyone should but how many do.
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2021, 21:32   #12
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
Keep the crank case filter (PCV FILTER) all internal combustion engines should have a crank case filters.
You don't need a filter, just a means of separating oil mist from the crankcase gases that need to be vented. The vortex separators work fine and they won't block up over time.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2021, 20:28   #13
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Totally agree but as the oil filters in the M47R engine are not really up to the job for 15,000 miles especially if the oil has an additive that acts as a flockulant, it’s nice to give it all the help you can. Don’t be scared to change the oil filter twice a year regardless of mileage. Even if you don’t want to change the oil you can still replace the paper filter cartridge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2021, 21:55   #14
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Funnily enough for peace of mind I always fit a vortex.

The original cotton reel was never designed to be a filter, it is a separator to separate oil from excess air pressure and any bypass gases so that the crankcase can remain at ambient pressure. When it starts becoming a filter is when the problems begin, as there is a risk it can block and over pressurise the crankcase.

At least with the vortex modification that can't happen. The worst case scenario with the vortex, as long as the depression limiter valve is working, is that you could carry oil over into the intake over time. But in practice I haven't seen this and still don't have to top the oil up in between 15k mile servicing.

I have fitted half a dozen vortex PCVs and never had a problem so far.

If you are checking and cleaning or changing the cotton reel regularly then it won't block so it is all up to personal preference. Each to their own.

I totally agree

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote