Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th September 2021, 08:10   #11
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Is a Tesla or any modern car better in every way? I don't hear owners of these modern cars saying how much pleasure they get from driving their car.
They just tell me about the mod cons it has. I want to feel good when I drive and when I drive my saloon, I do.

macafee2

Here you go.

I get as much pleasure from driving the Twintop and the Omega as I do the 75. The Omega will be 23 years old at the end of this month and is far better built than the 75. You get no trim rattles, nothing breaks, quality parts by the likes of Lemforder are still available. It is very comfortable and a real pleasure to drive.

The XF-S is streets ahead of them all. As are cars like the Mercedes CLS, BMW 5 series etc.

If you wish to hear other owners offering similar views, head over to the Jaguar or XF forums!

I absolutely love my 75's and always will. But, we need to be realistic. As member coab says above - the reason the 75 gets attention is that it is different from other cars of the time in its design and the older generation have an emotional attachment to them for being the last of the Rovers.

I think the problem is that too many people are distracted by all the gadgets in modern cars and as a result they fail to see beyond the gadgets - there are some excellent modern driver's cars available. One just needs to have an open mind.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 08:16   #12
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I am a self-confessed petrolhead ( I am told I could recognise all cars on the road from age 3), but not only do electric vehicles not stir me, most others produced in the last 10 years don't either. They are bland, and indistinguishable from each other. What is more, you don't drive them, they drive you. They have no soul or character. I regard many from the 1940s to the 1990s as pure pieces of art, something which most from this century are not. It is why I still love my 75s, ZTs, and Jaguars up to the penultimate XJ. And my Daimler Super V8 ( at 5.4 secs 0-60mph) can still thrash the pants off most modern euro boxes!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 08:25   #13
ziggy72
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar S-Type R Audi A5 Sportback

People have connections with certain cars but advancements in technology have moved cars on dramatically whether we want to acknowledge or embrace it or not.
If I had money come my way the first car I'd buy would be a Jensen because of the nostalgia of sitting in my dad's friends interceptor many times when I was a kid but in reality they are so dated compared to today's cars and rotted almost as bad as a 70's Lancia despite being a luxury car of its day.
A guy who comes into the bodyshop and recalibrates the adas systems that most cars are fitted with these days has a Tesla. He jokes on about my S-type R and asks when I'm going to get rid of my slow relic. We got talking about his Tesla and he said he'd bring it in and take me for a spin. It has Ludicrous+ and does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds.
He called in early to work a couple of Saturdays ago and took me out, put it in ludicrous mode and waited for a break in the traffic then floored it. I've never been frightened in a car but I was begging him to stop, it was insane and done in almost silence. Absolutely mind-blowing.
The prices of these new electric cars is out of range for many but you have to admire what they do. It's just getting the traveling range and infrastructure sorted which is the problem.
Old 17th September 2021, 08:27   #14
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

"I absolutely love my 75's and always will. But, we need to be realistic."

I think thats sums it up very well....

Also my visits to IOM this year make me aware that Tesla are now so commen they are going off th idea and having them in a colour other than white.

Last edited by Phil th Barrow; 17th September 2021 at 08:31..
Phil th Barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 08:55   #15
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
.............And my Daimler Super V8 ( at 5.4 secs 0-60mph) can still thrash the pants off most modern euro boxes!

Here, I've improved the statement a bit for you

And my Daimler Super V8 ( at 5.4 secs 0-60mph) can still thrash the pants off most modern euro boxes on a straight road!

Sorry, but couldn't resist
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 09:08   #16
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Some interesting comments.
We have a ZSEV and love it.

To be honest the discussion ( and others like it) remind me of the discussions had with Rail enthusiast circles.
Steam Vs Diesel Vs Electric Vs Locomotive Vs Multiple Units.

I have always loved railways but being born in 1970 I never knew mainline steam. As an enthusiast growing up and going out and about I was always told that Diesel wouldn't last, there was no longevity they were unreliable, sounded awful, looked boring and in comparison to steam were basically rubbish.
Around the late 80s it was evident that more and more passenger services would be operated by multiple units and with dismay I enjoyed the last hurrah of regular locomotive hauled services in Scotland. Now, with the exception of the Caledonian Sleeper and until recently the Fife Circle diesel loco hauled trains are a thing of the past
I know ScotRail now have a fleet of HSTs but I was never keen on trams ....... and that's the point.
Modern enthusiasts rave about them and love the multitude and variety of modern multiple units whereas I shake my head and tell them what they are really missing. A class 47 erupting out of Glasgow Queen Street is far more impressive than a 385 EMU could ever hope to be. I have turned into the same person who used to tell me how great steam was and how terrible all the then modern stuff was.

It's the same with EVs. We are all in this club because we have a love of cars, whether its a 75/ZT or indeed any other form of internal combustion engine vehicle that takes our fancy.
Just like the old guys in the past who shook their heads and said diesel locomotives were awfull, dirty, expensive rubbish many of us shake our heads and raise similar accusations at EVs.

Time will tell but I suspect that 20 years from now there will be gatherings of pioneer EVs, Polestars, Tesla's, ZOEs, Leafs, ZSEV and the like.

They are not for everyone but just like the old steam enthusiasts times move on
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 10:05   #17
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

I have no doubt at all that electric cars will be considered classics in years to come - why wouldn't they

From a personal point of view, I'm not a fan and prefer the noise, smell etc of a petrol vehicle, but that's because I grew up with them. The noise, and general "ambience" of an internal combustion engine is deeply ingrained over years of living with them, but the same will be true for EVs with the next generation of drivers.

I should also add that, as much as I love my Rover, I find myself using my wife's Hyundai more and more these days, as it is so light and easy to drive when compared to the Rover, which seems slow and cumbersome by comparison . Still a lovely place to sit mind, and the body shape is sublime .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 10:13   #18
sponge_mike
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi Automatic

Smile

Over the past years, I have owned 16 75's so you could say I'm a bit of an enthusiast! However, as there are no newer models available (for obvious reasons), I also decided to buy an XF and, in my mind, moves on from where the 75 left off. As the XF's are reasonably priced now, they seem a very good buy - especially compared to a monogram 75 on Ebay at the moment for £11,995!!!

Incidentally, when I first saw a Tesla (a white one) I thought it was a kit car!
I agree that the lack of a grille detracts from the looks somewhat - an old Renault Floride springs to mind.

Mike
sponge_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 11:17   #19
Bob Williams
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+

I agree the 75/ZT is different to look at and to drive and I too find modern cars look so alike. I especially get confused with all the different 4 by 4s. Being born in 1949, my car interest is mainly 1950s to 1970s but look at pre war cars. Don't pre war Austins, Hillmans, Fords, Morris's, etc also look the same? Designers now have to comply with more regulations and the opportunities for individualism are less than they were.

My brother once met Eric Neale who designed the Singer Le Mans and the Jensen 541 and asked him which cars he admired. His surprise answer was American cars of the 1958 to 1961 period when designers had a free hand in design that is not so today.

Chevrolet Impala anyone? 1959 of course!
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2021, 11:44   #20
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
I have no doubt at all that electric cars will be considered classics in years to come - why wouldn't they

From a personal point of view, I'm not a fan and prefer the noise, smell etc of a petrol vehicle, but that's because I grew up with them. The noise, and general "ambience" of an internal combustion engine is deeply ingrained over years of living with them, but the same will be true for EVs with the next generation of drivers.

I should also add that, as much as I love my Rover, I find myself using my wife's Hyundai more and more these days, as it is so light and easy to drive when compared to the Rover, which seems slow and cumbersome by comparison . Still a lovely place to sit mind, and the body shape is sublime .

Cliff
Yes sadly we all av to grow up in th end. Iv said to th wife that when men start acting there age they die..