Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th September 2021, 10:11   #11
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVS View Post
It's a 1.8 (non turbo) indeed.
I only had it serviced in April, replaced all but fuel filter then.
Could it just be water and/or assorted debris in the fuel filter?
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 11:10   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default 1.8 engine

Quote:
Is the purge control valve/evaporative charcoal canister something I can do myself? If so, could you point me to where in the engine it is located?
You could try removing the electrical connector from the purge control valve Erik. According to Haynes it's mounted on the battery tray.

Why was the lambda sensor replaced last year?

I'd urge you not to touch the fuel filter Erik except for checking that you have an "orange clip" fitted to the casing (as it's the later type). Do not attempt to open it otherwise you risk even more trouble.

Simon
Old 28th September 2021, 18:31   #13
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
You could try removing the electrical connector from the purge control valve Erik. According to Haynes it's mounted on the battery tray.

I'd urge you not to touch the fuel filter Erik except for checking that you have an "orange clip" fitted to the casing (as it's the later type). Do not attempt to open it otherwise you risk even more trouble.

Simon
I was under the impression that the 'orange clip' was an add on to the fuel pump housing to stop it from forcing itself apart? The lamda sensor although newly replaced may have since become covered with excessive soot and other deposits, and may benefit from a clean.

Last edited by grivas; 28th September 2021 at 18:35.. Reason: additional comment
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 18:44   #14
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Is the purge control valve/evaporative charcoal canister something I can do myself? If so, could you point me to where in the engine it is located?
The lambda sensor was replaced last year so would surprise me if it's bad already, but worth looking at while I'm at it anyway.
Take a look at the diagrams on the Rimmer Brothers website, at https://rimmerbros.com, this will give a good idea of what you are dealing with, there is a diagram of the purge valve in relation to the charcoal canister and associated tubing.
Old 29th September 2021, 01:36   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Take a look at the diagrams on the Rimmer Brothers website, at https://rimmerbros.com, this will give a good idea of what you are dealing with, there is a diagram of the purge valve in relation to the charcoal canister and associated tubing.

It will be one of these

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 07:47   #16
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I was under the impression that the 'orange clip' was an add on to the fuel pump housing to stop it from forcing itself apart?
Agreed. The cause of Erik's problems may be faltering fuel pressure so it's worth checking.

Simon
Old 29th September 2021, 12:33   #17
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Agreed. The cause of Erik's problems may be faltering fuel pressure so it's worth checking.

Simon
Yes I now see your reasoning, a good idea, thanks SD1.
Old 29th September 2021, 15:08   #18
EVS
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Quote:

Simon
Last year the lambda sensor was replaced because of the P0420 fault code. I suppose it's possible the P0445 was already there at the time as well, but was either missed or not addressed...

I have the orange clip installed on the fuel filter, installed while replacing the rubber O-ring inside the fuel filter little over a year ago now.
EVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 15:42   #19
EVS
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
I was under the impression that the 'orange clip' was an add on to the fuel pump housing to stop it from forcing itself apart? The lamda sensor although newly replaced may have since become covered with excessive soot and other deposits, and may benefit from a clean.
I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like, but this is what the sensor looks like now. Is this acceptable or should I clean it?

The links and images of the caniser were most helpful, thanks. Found it in no time now
Apart from cleaning the electrical connector to the canister, anything else I should do with the canister itself? The tubing seems fine, as far as I can tell.
EVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 18:52   #20
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like, but this is what the sensor looks like now. Is this acceptable or should I clean it?

The links and images of the caniser were most helpful, thanks. Found it in no time now
Apart from cleaning the electrical connector to the canister, anything else I should do with the canister itself? The tubing seems fine, as far as I can tell.
It looks OK not oily or excessively sooty to me, but then without testing it, it
would be impossible to tell if it works as it should.
I would concentrate on the 'orange clip' hypothesis as mentioned earlier because if the in-tank filter/fuel pump is showing signs of separation into the two parts then you will need to place a clip on these to prevent this from happening otherwise the resulting drop in fuel pressure will cause all sorts of driveability issues.
Do google a search under Rover 75 fabled 'orange-clip' or FCC., see what you can make of it, if you haven't got a clip fitted, then fit one. If this sorts things out, OK, if not then check the purge valve/charcoal canister, and yes spray the electrical connector with contact spray, good luck