Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th September 2021, 17:50   #1
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Default Speed Cameras

I saw today that the Police have admitted that the most profitable speed camera has for many years now being wrongly recording tall and flat vehicles speeds by as much as 150%. This has prompted calls for refunds, payment for time spent on driver awareness courses and in some cases calls for loss of earnings due to points banning drivers from driving.

I have to say that they put an ANPR Speed Camera on the M8 West bound about twenty years ago the speed limit on the motorway is 50mph where it was the unit was set at 60MPH in the first week it had recorded over 200,000 offences and over 1 million in the first month. The camera was removed the following month as it became apparent that it was physically impossible to process and send out the volume of letters required with the computers available at the time.
It was worked out that it would take five weeks nonstop processing and dispatching to send out the first weeks offences meaning that in eight weeks there would have been a year’s backlog.
I guess the man that was doing 146mph the fastest recorded by the unit, was very lucky.

I Remember being stopped in Paisley at 08-30 for supposedly doing 48 in a 30, at the time I was driving a GRP car and there were two cars passing me in the second lane. I also was surprised that seeing as the speed detector was in the weigh bridge area 40 yards from where I had turned right on to the road their claim was impossible as my car could not pull 6G, the silly men took me to court where I put my PHD to good use giving the court a Physics lesson. I also took great delight in explaining the system they had been using had only ever been tested on steel cars and had not been calibrated since they had bought it 22 months before it had allegedly recorded my speed. They gave me costs and loss of revenue as a consultant for one day at £750. The Sheriff was very upset with the young lad from the office for wasting the courts time as I had written to them explaining how the officers claim was an impossibility and that they had misread and misused the equipment. I later heard from my wife’s cousin who worked for the court that as a result of my case the local court had thrown out over 200 cases and revoked over 300 judgments. That evidence from the radar unit in question had been involved in.
You can give a man tools, but unless he knows how to use them they are useless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 18:29   #2
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I came across a first (for me) last week after rounding a bend in a Derbyshire village near Chatsworh House.There, stood in line, were three elder ladies in Hi vis jackets all pointing radar guns at the approaching traffic

What was that all about?Were the guns real and do civilians carry out speed checks on behalf of the authorities?
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 18:34   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
I came across a first (for me) last week after rounding a bend in a Derbyshire village near Chatsworh House.There, stood in line, were three elder ladies in Hi vis jackets all pointing radar guns at the approaching traffic

What was that all about?Were the guns real and do civilians carry out speed checks on behalf of the authorities?
You wont get done by the old ladies as they are not police/official but what speeders may get is a warning letter, nothing more.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 18:37   #4
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:

https://www.humberside-pcc.gov.uk/Co...eed-Watch.aspx

Seems that most police forces are encouraging this !
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 18:49   #5
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
You wont get done by the old ladies as they are not police/official but what speeders may get is a warning letter, nothing more.

macafee2

Yeah seems warning letters are issued Ian.Not had one yet so it seems I was behaving

Quite startling when you first see them though.
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2021, 19:02   #6
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

As many of you know they put a speed camera up half a mile before the road up to my house which backs on to a High school, the camera is across from a primary school.
I took my pit lane speed gun out and sat in a chair in my high viz vest before the camera went up. The road is a 30 limit with a 20 when schools are out and about.
The average before was 43 and 41 ( the camera is set at 40) the fastest was a bus doing 67

After the camera which most brake hard for then floor it the average is 46 and 39 fastest was an 18 ton waggon doing 73
The world has gone mad.

Three average speed cameras on the 2 mile stretch is the only way to get them to slow down.

alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 07:49   #7
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:

Slightly off topic, some of the local "we are perfect" brigade in my village complained of speeding traffic. In the fullness of time the police actually ran a speed trap and the 2 local people caught were the complainers, one of whom was also driving while over the drink drive limit.

I have a great aversion and very little respect for these local vigilante groups, 99% of the time, they are of "a type".
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 08:02   #8
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
went up. The road is a 30 limit with a 20 when schools are out and about.
The average before was 43 and 41 ( the camera is set at 40) the fastest was a bus doing 67

After the camera which most brake hard for then floor it the average is 46 and 39 fastest was an 18 ton waggon doing 73

I'm very surprised by your results. Although according to statute buses have a 70mph speed limit, they actually MUST have a speed limiter set at a maximum of 62 mph.

HGV's have a legal maximum speed of 60mph, but the limiter MUST be set at a maximum of 56mph.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 12:54   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
I'm very surprised by your results. Although according to statute buses have a 70mph speed limit, they actually MUST have a speed limiter set at a maximum of 62 mph.

HGV's have a legal maximum speed of 60mph, but the limiter MUST be set at a maximum of 56mph.
Inaccuracy/uncalibrated of a pit lane speed camera?

Tall and flat vehicles could be over recorded (see initial post)?

Or a downhill section of road?

Just potential reasons?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2021, 16:32   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Couple of months ago there was a speed detector van set up to catch speeders. The local facebook group had warnings from locals about it. Not sure why, was it to get people to slow down or to warn speeders to slow down so they could keep their licence?

Anyway, couple of weeks later someone posts on the facebook group moaning about the speed of traffic.

can't have it both ways.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote